Four Worries of Rural Preppers - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Four Worries of Rural Preppers

This is a discussion on Four Worries of Rural Preppers within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Elvis Living in a rural area I've found answers to all of his problems except for dog food. Both chicken and dog ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Four Worries of Rural Preppers

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    Living in a rural area I've found answers to all of his problems except for dog food.

Both chicken and dog food go rancid within a year. The chickens already free range for 80% of their food but we'll still end up using hunting or livestock for dog food if the stores are closed for more than about 6 months
    We've been considering adding rabbits but only if they can free range for their food which takes about 300 sf per rabbit. That's a lot of rabbit proof fencing if you want to keep 3 rabbits. Kitchen and garden scraps could help with feeding the rabbits allowing for a smaller run but we still want to minimize the need to feed the rabbits.
    Really? What are you feeding the dog?

BTW, I've started saving bones and meat scraps from dinner to make a nice crock pot broth for the dogs. I'm gonna freeze it until I have enough then can that to pour over the dry kibble.
    WhatTheHeck likes this.
    St. Michael the Archangel,
    defend us in battle.
    Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the Devil.
    May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
    and do thou,
    O Prince of the heavenly hosts,
    by the power of God,
    thrust into hell Satan,
    and all the evil spirits,
    who prowl about the world
    seeking the ruin of souls.

Amen

Fool aint got a clue. not a one of them is a worry for many reasons. Trust me the dog will eat good. He works for a living . Ever see a dog say no to fresh eggs? rabbit or other rodents?
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator Monroe View Post
    If you leave for more than 48 Hours do you get a House sitter (Guard) ?
    We have friends and neighbors who can watch the livestock if we have to go anywhere for a prolonged period of time.

We plan accordingly.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post

BTW, I've started saving bones and meat scraps from dinner to make a nice crock pot broth for the dogs. I'm gonna freeze it until I have enough then can that to pour over the dry kibble.
    We do the same thing.
    There is a crock pot with left over chicken bones in it now.
    Annie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post

Normally I feed dry kibble. Over several years I've stored different types of kibble with purchase dates written on the bag. Some types of kibble the dogs won't touch 7-8 months after purchase, especially after the summer heat, I've found that the Purina One lasts the longest of the types I've tried. The dogs aren't as enthusiastic after 12-14 months but will eat it. So we keep about 6-8 months of Purina One around and supplement it with eggs ect.

I've found that the chicken feed also lasts about a year, after that the birds just won't eat it and slowly lose weight as they forage for food. They forage over about an 8 acre area which provides about 80% of what they need. During times when the bugs are plentiful they eat no pellets but the egg shells get thin.

If a person plans to keep enough extra chickens to feed both their family and their dogs after about a year I suspect that they will be out of feed and the good eggs will get scarce enough that they may not be enough eggs for the dogs.

As far as bones go we used to give the bones to the dogs and the dogs would leave them out for a few weeks occasionally gnawing at them. But sooner or later the marrow gets too full of bacteria and then the dogs get the runs, not good for the carpet. Now if we give a bone we toss it after a few hours.
    Last edited by Elvis; 10-16-2018 at 12:54 PM.

You guys must have city dogs lol. Our dogs will eat damn near anything. It doesn't matter if its scraps from the latest deer/hog/squirrel, or plain red beans, dog food, cat food, etc. They really love deer guts and gnawing the scraps off bones when we de-bone a piece of meat. Of course, these are also outside dogs. I am pretty sure the giant house cat and my rabbit wouldn't be amused by them running around in here.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lowtechredneck View Post
    You guys must have city dogs lol. Our dogs will eat damn near anything.
    Our dogs love road apples, and even when we don't allow it they harvest desert raisins, ... the green ones are the freshest.

Rancher
    Elvis likes this.

I lived in the countryside as a child, and our dogs ate leftovers, like rice, cornmeal, meat, squash, etc... We still have two of that dogs, very old now, and they will not eat only dog food, you have to mix it up with human food.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by azrancher View Post
    Our dogs love road apples, and even when we don't allow it they harvest desert raisins, ... the green ones are the freshest.

Rancher
    Yes. We are down to just one horse now, and when we turn her out around the house the dogs love the manure. I read somewhere that they are attracted to the vitamin K in there.
    Our dogs also like to hunt rabbit turds. And we have plenty of rabbits hereabouts.
    Denton likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

We still have the little boy Bichon. The food isn't expensive, but hiring a French waiter so he'll eat does get a tad pricey.
    WhatTheHeck likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links