Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

"17 Prepper Types You Should Avoid" - Really?

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  bigwheel 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
Personally, I avoid most people, period.
I do interact with local veterans groups, I serve as an officer in four of them. I trust most of the other members. But they don't know where we live.
But trust civilians? No. I can't think of any off hand. None of my co-workers, before I retired, ever knew where we lived.

We have a small farm on a dead end dirt road 6 miles outside a one stop light town.
Our perimeter is fully fenced, and cross fenced. The two gates that front the road stay closed and locked with chain and padlock at all times, whether we are home or not.

I do not interact well with "regular people". Yes, I'm courteous and polite, but would rather be somewhere else.

#10 ·
Personally, I avoid most people, period.
So do I. In fact, a good number of men at my gym don't joke around that much anymore with women. I have thick black glasses I was issued several years ago for a surgery. However, our gym has blinding lights in one area, and dark sections in others. I walk along the wall, and women walk by without even a nod. Not only do the glasses take the glare off polished surfaces, but most folks don't speak to "blind" patients. Other guys wear bright red ear buds and ignore everyone.

At my old gym we were all friends, it was more blue collar. But this gym is in the 'burbs, so we talk to no one.

#4 ·
Character is number one. If your not trustworthy and reliable, your useless to others. Attitude is important. Preservation of the group. Different skills are useful. Yes there are wreckless personalities you need to avoid just as in real life.

#5 ·
The article and to a lesser degree the site, is click bait.
Makes, generalized, wild assumptions without going into detail, and then provides links for 'your better understanding.'

If we were to take the 17 prepper types to avoid, conduct the analysis and cross analysis I think we would find nearly every single one of us is some kind of prepper or a mix of the traits of a prepper to avoid.
Looking through that list, I know I made it a few times. And I am perfectly fine with that.

Reading that article the question comes up: Who is the prepper not to avoid? By their definition.

A long time ago I wrote up a paper on skill set thresholds and objectives. If I still have it, I will post it.

#6 ·
When it hits the fan, in general, you will need to depend on a group in order to survive. I would tend to value character above all else. Are you willing to do what it takes and are you willing to learn. Having a skill set is all good, but you can be the end all, be all, in survival skills and still be a bad actor.

That said, I don't have a trusting nature and I like very few people. Yep, I am in sales, so I deal with people on a daily basis, and I live in the 4th largest city in America. Go figure. :vs_worry:

Reactions: Denton and Camel923
#7 ·
what do you expect? - Survival Life nothing but a hack site pushing cheap Chinese crap from LA Commieland - if you take "Jerry Springer" websites seriously how do you get any serious prepping done ....

guy wrote this crap article this week and next week he publishes a glowing praise piece on Auntie Max's latest rant to kill the POTUS - just ignore these azz-hats ....

#8 ·
I would think that those who have the ability to take care of themselves, grow food and have skills like hunting fishing, raising animals, butchering, food preservation of all kinds, ability to improvise and create things like tools clothing and other needs, would be our biggest assets. I think they call those people homesteaders.
@tirednurse and a few others that have passed through have that kind of knowledge plus other skills that would benefit any group. I am learning as much as I can of these things. My feeling is the more skills you have the better. People who think they can run through the woods hiding in caves and killing zombies wont last long without food.

Stupid article

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Could not find the paper I mentioned in my previous post.

It amounted to this: For a skill set or attribute, the Threshold (minimum) is this. The Objective (ideal) is that.

Examples:

Starting a fire -
Threshold - Given a flint and steel, build a fire with the materials around you. You are in the woods.

Objective - Given a fixed blade knife, and your shoelaces, make a bow drill with the materials around you and build a fire. You are in the woods.

Physical Fitness -
Threshold - Run 100yrds in 20 seconds or less.

Objective - Run a 5k in 24 minutes or less.

Marksmanship -
Threshold - Pass a NRA Basic Firearm course.

Objective - Attain Expert rating either through one of the military services, or CMP/NRA High Power rifle competitions.

Note: I just made the above up to convey the general idea.
Could apply to everything from growing food, to raising livestock, to small squad tactics. to medical.

#12 ·
That is sad.
Well, that is the way people get by now. I'm usually the first guy through the door when the gym opens. I'm out 2 hours later before the mob gets there. It's quiet, no housewives gossiping on the ellipticals behind me. If it rains, I'm near the door. And if the society is again experimenting on socialization, it does so after I'm already at home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.