SHTF Gray man help
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

SHTF Gray man help

This is a discussion on SHTF Gray man help within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I keep seeing so many people think about the topic of being gray and part of me wonders how it would stop the truly desperate. ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: SHTF Gray man help

SHTF Gray man help

I keep seeing so many people think about the topic of being gray and part of me wonders how it would stop the truly desperate.

But where I am moving to, basically I'd be literally unable to be gray, not possible. So in a SHTF scenario when would it be best to NOT be gray and how to keep yourself in your area of strengths. Assuming the SHTF event is an economic collapse(Full/Partial Weimar Republic)
    If one was literally unable to be gray, what would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Odinsman View Post
    I keep seeing so many people think about the topic of being gray and part of me wonders how it would stop the truly desperate.

But where I am moving to, basically I'd be literally unable to be gray, not possible. So in a SHTF scenario when would it be best to NOT be gray and how to keep yourself in your area of strengths. Assuming the SHTF event is an economic collapse(Full/Partial Weimar Republic)
    hello there Odins man,

Everything depends. If you cant be gray, dont be a target might be a general rule? If you will be a target, be the least desireble target?

Be an asset of some kind, gather friends around you and.. everything depends on the situation
    phrogman and charito like this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Odinsman View Post

Your, for lack of a better word, scenario is too vague to be able to give you any solid information.

If you can't be gray man then maybe a better option is being part of an organization. If you are a first responder you will have credentials that will get you to places the regular public can not go. Same is possible if you are some type of volunteer. Maybe look into CERT training in your area or volunteering at a local hospital.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Welcome to PF

If you don't stand out your gray, even if that means wearing a rainbow afro wig and big floppy red shoes if your at a clown convention, or carrying a skateboard if your by the skate park.
    Although if you have blue skin and your in predominantly orange skin community, it could be a little more difficult.

You don't want to give anyone any reason to notice you. Looking like you don't want to be noticed makes you stand out. Aside from your clothing, how you walk or look around also makes a difference.
    Try and walk at the same pace as those around you, don't look around as if your looking to see if your being followed, if something draws the others attention and gaze, look where they look.

The harder part in my book is dealing with a possible incoming threat, that is the thugs, police or whomever you're trying to avoid singles you out. With thugs the idea would be to make yourself more of a threat to tangle with then they are willing to, but that might mean they get reinforcements and everyone else is probably going to notice, which might be a good thing, or not.
    The police are a completely different situation, unless you pull a mini cannon from under your coat, they will keep coming, so you need to ditch them, blend in and exit the area quickly as in any situation you get spotted.

I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number please.

Stupidity, the New Common Sense

I always suggest buying camping gear in muted colors instead of military CAMMO as being one way to be grayer and not stand out as a prepper not realy what you are asking .

Other than trying to appear homeless I do not think you could ever convince others you had nothing . You could do this for a little while but not long term as no one wants to do it.

You can, however choose a modiest home rather than a mansion in your area. Look for one with a basement and hide preps in it, tunnel over to a modest garage/ outbuilding.

I have seen some every very nice metal barns built - look like a machine shop but it was actually a house. Insulated and walls built after it was up without anyone noticing- this house/ barn was built in a rural area and listed as agriculature ground as far as taxes . Not till they went to sell did the county governemnt found out it was a very nice 6 bedroom 2 1/2 bath home. It did not have a lot of windows but had some . However they did not have a septic system just ran out into a pasture. Put in a septic for your "shop "bathroom make it big for several bathrooms and run it thru your local governemnt like
    you are supposed to . Hiding completely will cause, issues not hide them. But as far as government is concerned you built a nice machine shed on your rural property with a bathroom , shower and someday you might build a house.

The other thing I have seen is a couple of small sheds/ cabins but what it realy was was the entrance to a underground bunker complex. I do not know how they managed to install it without drawing attention I would think it would take a crew? But even a simple tunnel between buildings would be helpfull to have. Tornado shelters are pretty common and easy to do - tell folks that is what you put in.

With vehicles you want an older but in good condition without a lot of flash. No sports car. A work truck not a fancy truck,, hidden winch not a winch that can be easily seen, and not a military 2 1/2 ton as a daily driver. Same with tractors - older in good condition but nothing new or expensive looking. Talk a lot about not having money , needing money. Don't show a lot of money, don't bank local or at least do not bank all your accounts local. Buy property talk a lot about it took every dime of what your uncle left you.

In your case why do you think you will stand out? Language, accent you speak? Skin color?

Last thought I knew an old man who drove a very old wornout truck always wore the "same" clothes. Blue short sleeve shirt and coveralls in summer, Red and black flannel shirt , hat , work boots and bib overalls. One day he is broke down so I offer him a ride he says he had been putting off a new truck but today must be the day. Could I drive him to the car dealer? So I do , figuring he will need a ride home or to the bank to get money I hang around a minute to see if he needs a ride. Folks at the car dealer say hellp qne call him by name then go get Manager . Manager is happy to sell him something of course then ask did you just want to sign or write a check today and which truck looks good to you we can order of course . They had not yet settled on what he wanted. He says I think I can just pay cash points at a truck says how much is that one. This is in th early 80's I think it was about 25K but what ever he pulls out a Mail Pouch tobacco pack form his biibs that he wore every day and starts counting it out. Turns out they all knew him as he owned several apple packing houses , thousands of acres of apples and other farms in the area. The guy I thought was just an old guy without much money was a multi millionair .

Had people tell me latter he almost always carried that pouch with a pile of money in it along with one with chewing tobacco.
    Last edited by RJAMES; 09-29-2018 at 03:58 PM.
    Slippy and Joe like this.
    [1]Survival: Actions I need to do NOW to live another 5 minutes to 3 days.[2] Prepping: What I do to insure my family makes it thru an adverse event lasting 3 days to 3 months [3] Seeds and livestock: What you need for long term subsistence.

Allow me to explain in more detail then,

The home that I'd be living in would basically make it IMPOSSIBLE to be a gray man (Not by choice but by familiy Fiat (We as a family stick together and move together). The house style, the size, the land, all scream prepper or rich person with stuff. So come to an SHTF scenario, I am wondering what areas would it be best not to be gray and how to pull off the non gray approach and survive in a SHTF. If you are unable/impossible to be gray. How do you do it?

I'm curious what you mean by being "gray"? Are you talking about how your home looks, how you look out and about during SHTF, hiding your preps in general?

Please provide more detail. If you are not "gray" now, then others in your AO will remember you in SHTF. This can be a good thing or a bad thing. If you are seen as the "slightly off" guy, fear of the unknown can be a good thing sometimes.

For years I lived across the street from two drug houses and they stole everything I had when I moved in, had their kids coming through my dog door to scope the house while I was sleeping. After the camera's went up (fake) and I started working as a Reserve Sheriff's Deputy (uniform on when leaving house), they left me alone.

Being gray is not always the way to go, because you can be mistaken for a "mark". Criminals are there to get paid, they will take the easy mark every time. I suspect many on SHTF will do the same.

Setting a precedence in your AO:
    When some turkey hunters came up behind my house (just over berm), my dog alerted and I checked out their hide with an AR15 in hand and followed their trail back a ways. I took down their decoys and left a note to please move father East, which they did the next morning before dawn.

I'm pretty sure they saw me looking for them because the dog was alerting in their direction even though I spotted nothing (need to get that thermal monocular!) and I believe the "show of force" worked in that case to make them think twice trespassing near my land and will likely not bother my house in SHTF. If they do, that's what the target hardening plans are for.

If you have your lights on when everyone else doesn't, then you are on the other side of the coin. You are not being gray or hard, just stupid. Looking "gray" should never be preferred to looking like a hard target if it can be taken as looking weak.

Without more detail, I'm just throwing stuff at the wall, let us know what is your concern.

Cross posted... if you look rich you are a target. Better work on a good defense plan and have 10-15 to defend any large area.

If your not grey then prepare to repel all boarders. Thorny dense vegitation. Trip wires. To alert you. Real booby traps have legal consequences so you have to decide if the situation warrants it. You will need constant patrols and servalence. Everyone will need to be armed to the teeth. No such thing as too much firepower. Posting red flags and quarantine/biohazard May help. If possible grow a tree line to hide as much as possible from view. Having good guard dogs would be helpful. Be the biggest baddest place imaginable. A good supply of @Slippy pikes with real heads on them may convey the message.

I'm not even sure now that you can make yourself a gray man. As you know, I tried just make sure I stayed within club rules. I had my new duds on when I met with my therapist, and she told me that even with my haircut and somewhat new clothes, I still looked like a biker.

In the long run, it made sense. When I had my "adult job" I would see young executives at meetings. They wore a stiff suit, pulled on their jacket cuffs and changed positions like they were sitting on an ant hill. It was their first new suit.

I think the idea to dress the part is fruitless, you won't act like a gray man, you'll act like "you" without even thinking about it. If you have to switch clothes for some reason, you should start with jeans and sneakers. Every country wears that.
    K7JLJ likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links