Who to maintain a fire - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Who to maintain a fire

This is a discussion on Who to maintain a fire within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Mad Trapper Worst part is when it's snowing sleet and windy, and my iPhone has no coverage....... ROFL!!! So your Wetfire app ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Who to maintain a fire

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post

Worst part is when it's snowing sleet and windy, and my iPhone has no coverage....... ROFL!!!
    So your Wetfire app doesn't work?
    Denton likes this.
    I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number please.

Stupidity, the New Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatic Wrench View Post
    So your Wetfire app doesn't work?
    No Steve Jobs has a panty bunch and it will talk a month for new panties from China
    Denton likes this.

One of my first posts on the forum was about....going out in the yard after it rained hard for a day and starting a fire with a ferro rod and knife. I was pretty proud of myself that day.

It took a little doing but I made sure I "processed" the tinder correctly...had the right-sized primary and secondary fuel to keep the initial flame going and so on.

It maybe took me 45 minutes to get everything to the point of even attempting a ferro rod ignition. That was the most time consuming part of it. I learned a lot that day....always be on the lookout for easily combustible material and save it. If you carry it with you...be redundant.

I'm not a a pyromaniac by any stretch. But, I think having a fire early on in any outdoor situation is important...for a lot of reasons. I always make sure I can start a fire...
    Denton likes this.
    Democrats are doing more to destroy our country than the Russians could ever hope to do.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Transporting hot embers to the next location.

I have not done this since I was a young buck after reading how cavemen and native Americans did it, but I did it a few times successfully, I would suggest reading up on it.
    Anyone with more recent experience please feel free to jump in and correct me or offer other ideas.

You will need something to carry the embers in, such as an altoids case, pop can, 2 clam shells, tin foil, metal cup, a piece of leather, etc.
    You'll also need some moss.

The embers will need to be able to breath, but you want to restrict that much like an airtight stove, to much air and the embers will burn away, not enough and they will go out.
    Fill about half your container with moss to create a bed for the embers, pick some good embers that still have some charcoal left on them as this is the fuel to keep the ember burning. Put the embers on the moss bed and cover with more moss, you don't want the moss to loose or tight, you want the embers to smolder, now close your container. Remember it still needs to breath a bit so you may need to punch a couple holes in your container.
    You can not just put this in your pocket and head out walking for a few hours, you will need to tend your embers, so stop now and then and open it up and blow on it bit, then close it up and head out again.

I would suggest trying this at home and just let it sit outside, tend to it and see how long you can keep it going and get a feel for how often you need to tend to it.
    You can make a container as part of your fire kit, obviously it is a lot easier then making one in the field with what you have on hand.

I looked for a picture or two to post but didn't find anything, I guess people just don't carry smoldering embers around much anymore.
    I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number please.

Stupidity, the New Common Sense

As for maintaining a fire through the night and maybe for a few days, I have a book called "The Book of Camp-Lore and Wood Craft" by D.C.Beard. First published way back in 1920. I believe Mr Beard was part of the group of men who started the BSA. He has an illustration of what he calls a fire lay. Take 2 logs and sharpen one end, push it into the ground at about a 30-45 degree angle. Place 2 logs on the ground in front of the angled logs as fire dogs. stack logs one on top of the other against the angled logs. Build your fire between the fire dogs in front. As it catches properly, move the fire back to the bottom log allowing it to catch. As a log is consumed, another is ready to slide down to the fire. I haven't had an opportunity to try this, so I have no idea if it works.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links