What if the shit only hits the fan for you?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on What if the shit only hits the fan for you? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; The rest of the world can go merrily along while any one of us silently goes down the toilet. It happen everyday to lots of ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: What if the shit only hits the fan for you?

Banned

The rest of the world can go merrily along while any one of us silently goes down the toilet. It happen everyday to lots of people. The following are only actual situations that I personally know about or have been involved in, not fiction.

My wife and I both got laid off from our jobs on the SAME DAY. We worked at the same company. We had just put a deposit down to have a new house built.

My mother broke her back at 50 - slipped in the kitchen. Not married. 2 Kids, couldn't work for 5 months, no money.

The lady down the dirt road from me just broke her back 3 weeks ago. 2 kids. She's about 30. Got thrown from a horse. Spent a week in the ICU before she got the feeling back in her feet.

The guy who owned the company (where my wife and I got laid off) is worth about $100 million. One evening (after sunset) he's out on a boat with his friend (also rich), drinking, tooling around a local lake. The wives are at the resort after a day at the spa. My old boss stands up in the boat, at night, drunk while going under a bridge. Decapitated (more or less). His problems are all over. The driver of the boat (also drunk) is charged with intoxication manslaughter.

A guy is driving down a road near me. The wide F350 in front of him is driving real slow for no apparent reason. He zips around just in time to hit the bike rider who was turning left in front of the truck. Legal pass... Vehicular Manslaughter charge... 10 years in prison.

The guy I bought my farm from had 3 "small" heart attacks, decided he couldn't live "out here" anymore.

None of these were noteworthy (except the two manslaughter charges). Every one completely cratered the person's life. They are called "accidents" for a reason... It's never an "on purpose."

Some take away all your money. Some take away your ability to walk AND all your money. Some take away your freedom (or threaten to).

What's the plan?

If you are out on bail for a charge that will get you 20 years (that you are guilty of) do you bug out?

What if you spend all your money on a lawyer who does a miracle and pleads it down to vehicular assault - 6 months (enough time to lose your job) and 10 years probation with a felony record (so you can't get a job afterward)?

Do you spend your life savings trying to defend yourself before you go to jail or preserve your money and run?

"Money" may still be just as valid as it was the day before but you just don't have any or any ability to get some.... how do you prep for it.

How many heart attacks is "enough" that it affects your life moving forward?

I'm sure everyone here, if they think about it, can come up with more of these real scenarios. Nobody above is a bad person.... shit just happens. How do you respond as a prepper? (Wishful thinking won't solve the problem or keep the justice system for locking you up for 10 years.)

The most dangerous person to us that most of us ever meet is a standard police officer. They can take our lives in more ways than one.

What do you do when the world doesn't come to an end for anybody but you?
    Lowtechredneck and youngridge like this.

This may be the most realistic thing I have read recently, and also the one with the least clear answers.

Quote Originally Posted by tonybluegoat View Post
    The most dangerous person to us that most of us ever meet is a standard police officer. They can take our lives in more ways than one.
    Some of us are doing everything in our power to change this.
    Black Lives Matter. Proud to live in a sanctuary city.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Mr Blue Goat, finally …. you post an intelligent thread that is relative to my worldview. Life is fragile indeed …. and encompasses many thin lines.
    Last edited by A Watchman; 09-21-2018 at 03:51 PM.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
    Some of us are doing everything in our power to change this.
    Might wanna get up off your knees then, and actually participate with your own time and resources.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

Shit hitting my fan? Been there, done that, on many occasions.
    inceptor likes this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

You can not be prepared for everything. Part of the plan has to be risk assessment. Another part is having a reserve fund and not living beyond ones means. Sometimes stuff happens that is your fault and sometimes it is not. Make bad judgements and you. Everyone has their challenges in life. Some are worse than others.
    Prepared One likes this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

A personal SHTF is far FAR more likely than a universal one. A person who has prepped for the end of civilization will get some good assistance from his preps during an extended period of unemployment or illness. Been there.
    Prepared One likes this.

It has a few times.
    In my youth I was homeless twice. Then I only had to worry about myself.
    As an adult I got laid off 7/11, no real worries as I was drawing unemployment checks, then 9/11 and the job market tanked. I had two more mouths to feed this time around, much much bigger deal.
    I had the advantage of being a carpenter, people always need things fixed around the house. I put fliers up at the the grocery stores and work trickled in. I fixed broken fences, running toilets, sticky doors, any work was money.
    I managed to get rent paid and kept food on the table although it was very tight sometimes with me working late into the night, working weekends and 12-14 hr days to finish and get paid on the day rent was due.

I don't have an off switch, I go until I don't need to. Never quite, never give up.
    Smitty901 likes this.
    I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number please.

Stupidity, the New Common Sense

To a large extent it depends on your finances (money saved) and your relationships with friends and neighbors. Having a chunk of cash in the bank separate from your long term investments helps. Having good relations with local neighbors also helps.

If you have no emergency cash saved and have managed to piss off your neighbors things could get rough if you fall off a ladder.
    Sasquatch likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links