What if the shit only hits the fan for you? - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

What if the shit only hits the fan for you?

This is a discussion on What if the shit only hits the fan for you? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I just hope I have a Spare magazine and a Tourniquet and can reach cover to top off ......

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 21 to 30 of 30
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: What if the shit only hits the fan for you?

  1. #21
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,582
    I just hope I have a Spare magazine and a Tourniquet and can reach cover to top off ...

  2. #22
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Other than getting the flu shot, spot on.
    remember that when you or someone you love gets pneumonia from the flu and you are laying in a hospital bed with a bunch of strangers wiping your butt because you are to weak to sit up on a toilet and do it yourself.

    We all make our own choices, and then have to pay for them later. I would rather take the chance on a shot once a year than ending up sick and gasping for every breath I take because that flu turned into pneumonia. I understand peoples fears of vaccinations, I just don't buy into them myself.

  3. #23
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,535
    Quote Originally Posted by tirednurse View Post
    remember that when you or someone you love gets pneumonia from the flu and you are laying in a hospital bed with a bunch of strangers wiping your butt because you are to weak to sit up on a toilet and do it yourself.

    We all make our own choices, and then have to pay for them later. I would rather take the chance on a shot once a year than ending up sick and gasping for every breath I take because that flu turned into pneumonia. I understand peoples fears of vaccinations, I just don't buy into them myself.
    Well said!

    I take the flu shots and the vaccinations, too, and do not buy the fears.
    tirednurse likes this.
    Black Lives Matter. Proud to live in a sanctuary city.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #24
    Super Moderator


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    21,065
    And the people I know who got the vaccine and still got knocked on their keisters with the flu?

    We've been down this flu shot road and I will still not get it. On the other hand, I'll not tell my parents to not get it.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

  6. #25
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    884
    First of all the vaccine only covers 3 or 4 of the flu viruses cycling in the season. It does not cover all of them. However, getting some type of immunity from the vaccine will help you to fight off a similar strain of the disease. This means that even if you do get the flu, you will have a better ability of fighting it off over some one that does not have any immunity to it at all.
    Second, it takes at least 2-3 weeks before you will have developed any significant antibodies to the viruses. If you are exposed to the actual flu, you will develop symptoms in 1-4 days, so if you are exposed at any time before the vaccination or before you have gained any kind of immunity, you are still going to get sick. Contrary to some people's thinking, you can not get the flu from the vaccine.

    Remember the ones who are most at risk from getting the flu are the young and those we consider seniors, anyone over the age of 60. These age groups have a harder time fighting off disease because they either have not gained any immunity, or what they had is becoming less effective and their bodies are not as capable at fighting off diseases.

    As I said before, We all make our own choices, but I prepare in every way I can so everyone in my family gets vaccinated. Not just for the flu every year but for all their other vaccinations too. Anyone can accidentally step on a nail. I would rather get a preventative shot than get tetanus. Same goes for measles, mumps, German measles, polio, hepatitis etc.

  7. #26
    Super Moderator


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    21,065
    Yes, I've done my due diligence on the topic. I've also been warned by a doctor who was a research scientist type. Pretty smart woman. Even warned me about the HPV vaccine before the side effects came out in the open.
    I know what you have been told, and I know, in your mind, it is the "official" and therefore correct information.

    If it makes you think I am not a total whacko, I do get the tetanus shot. Getting due, as a matter of fact.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

  8. #27
    Super Moderator


    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,798
    Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    Yes, I've done my due diligence on the topic. I've also been warned by a doctor who was a research scientist type. Pretty smart woman. Even warned me about the HPV vaccine before the side effects came out in the open.
    I know what you have been told, and I know, in your mind, it is the "official" and therefore correct information.

    If it makes you think I am not a total whacko, I do get the tetanus shot. Getting due, as a matter of fact.
    I just got my Tdap this past week. I can't believe it's been 10 years since my last one--thought it had only been a couple.
    Denton likes this.
    "Who is She that comes forth as the morning rising, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terrible as a army set in battle array?"

  9. #28
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    10,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    It's not how you celebrate your wins, it's how you take your losses.
    My Dad always said when you get knocked down you better learn to pick your own self up, nobody else is going to do it. Oh and then, learn from what knocked you on your ass in the first place.
    A Watchman, inceptor and Slippy like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

  10. #29
    Super Moderator


    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,798
    Quote Originally Posted by tirednurse View Post
    remember that when you or someone you love gets pneumonia from the flu and you are laying in a hospital bed with a bunch of strangers wiping your butt because you are to weak to sit up on a toilet and do it yourself.

    We all make our own choices, and then have to pay for them later. I would rather take the chance on a shot once a year than ending up sick and gasping for every breath I take because that flu turned into pneumonia. I understand peoples fears of vaccinations, I just don't buy into them myself.
    I've educated myself about the subject and I'll stick with a no on the flu shot. The grannies both get their flu shot. My kids are all in their teens and twenties. I told them to decide for themselves; it's their choice.
    Lunatic Wrench likes this.
    "Who is She that comes forth as the morning rising, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terrible as a army set in battle array?"

  11. #30
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Washington the one on the left
    Posts
    1,113
    Quote Originally Posted by tirednurse View Post
    First of all the vaccine only covers 3 or 4 of the flu viruses cycling in the season. It does not cover all of them. However, getting some type of immunity from the vaccine will help you to fight off a similar strain of the disease. This means that even if you do get the flu, you will have a better ability of fighting it off over some one that does not have any immunity to it at all.
    Second, it takes at least 2-3 weeks before you will have developed any significant antibodies to the viruses. If you are exposed to the actual flu, you will develop symptoms in 1-4 days, so if you are exposed at any time before the vaccination or before you have gained any kind of immunity, you are still going to get sick. Contrary to some people's thinking, you can not get the flu from the vaccine.

    Remember the ones who are most at risk from getting the flu are the young and those we consider seniors, anyone over the age of 60. These age groups have a harder time fighting off disease because they either have not gained any immunity, or what they had is becoming less effective and their bodies are not as capable at fighting off diseases.

    As I said before, We all make our own choices, but I prepare in every way I can so everyone in my family gets vaccinated. Not just for the flu every year but for all their other vaccinations too. Anyone can accidentally step on a nail. I would rather get a preventative shot than get tetanus. Same goes for measles, mumps, German measles, polio, hepatitis etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    I've educated myself about the subject and I'll stick with a no on the flu shot. The grannies both get their flu shot. My kids are all in their teens and twenties. I told them to decide for themselves; it's their choice.
    I've never had a flu shot, at least not back as far as I can remember.

    Even when I smoked (35 year habit) I never got as sick as the people around me and never took more than a day, day and a half off work for a cold or flu. When I got a cold I'd switch to menthol cigarettes for a couple days as they were easier on the throat.
    We didn't have anti bacterial soaps, wipes and what not growing up, we weren't overly concerned about germs, we used wooden cutting boards and wiped the chicken juice off it with the wash cloth hanging over the faucet, I'd say that helped build a strong immune system. Now it seems the younger generations are allergic to things your rarely heard of kids being allergic to and some you never heard of, or the common cold takes down younger adults for 3-4 day's.

    The past 12-14 years I've relied on Zicam and EmergencC to help ease my cold symptoms, don't care what people say about taking zinc to help fight off a cold, it seems to work for me.
    inceptor, Annie and Lowtechredneck like this.
    I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number please.

    Stupidity, the New Common Sense

 

 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. A great sci-fi, apocolyptic, crap hits the fan type movie
    By SanAntonioPrepper in forum Books, Videos, Media, Podcasts
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-02-2017, 02:18 PM
  2. If the shit hits the fan how long will it be before people band together and form set
    By Flint'n'steel in forum General Prepper and Survival Talk
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 04-06-2017, 09:36 PM
  3. Christians: what's does Christ expect of us when the stuff hits the fan?
    By Annie in forum General Prepper and Survival Talk
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 09-26-2016, 01:08 PM
  4. When the Schumer Hits the Fan
    By jc-hunter in forum Political News and Topics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Back to Top