What if the shit only hits the fan for you? - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

What if the shit only hits the fan for you?

This is a discussion on What if the shit only hits the fan for you? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I've worked for 8 companies that have gone under since 1995, two of them I asked for a meeting to discuss the future of the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: What if the shit only hits the fan for you?

  1. #11
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Central U.S.
    Posts
    573
    I've worked for 8 companies that have gone under since 1995, two of them I asked for a meeting to discuss the future of the company and some options I thought would work. At one of those meetings, the Pres of that company asked me, "why do you care". I thought to myself, what a dumb question to ask someone who is trying to save your company. All three of the magazines I worked for are now gone.

    Too many times the people at the helm thought they knew it all, "I've been doing this 21 years, you've been here 1.5 and you're trying to teach me something"? The 1st mag I worked for, the publisher lost contact with his audience. The last mag, the editor never fully knew his audience, (his daddy owned the company) but he understood the industry and his advertisers.

    I've lived without cable TV more years than i ever had it. Most of the best trips I went on were paid working trips, not vacations where I wrote the check for expenses. The most I made in one year was $39,000 before taxes. Never drank a beer/been drunk or smoked a cigarette. I'm about as clean cut as it gets. And that saying, "good guys finish last"... if you measure last place by the least amount of money in the bank, then yes... I will finish last. Money has never been my motivator. Personal happiness with my career, how I feel about the job and what I'm doing was more important.

    My plan? To try and stay above water, the same it's been since 1989 when I left home for the Army.
    inceptor likes this.
    Everybody seems to have a right, but who has any responsibility?

    "It's better to keep your mouth closed and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" - Abe Lincoln

  2. #12
    Super Moderator


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    20,200
    Quote Originally Posted by tonybluegoat View Post
    The rest of the world can go merrily along while any one of us silently goes down the toilet. It happen everyday to lots of people. The following are only actual situations that I personally know about or have been involved in, not fiction.

    My wife and I both got laid off from our jobs on the SAME DAY. We worked at the same company. We had just put a deposit down to have a new house built.

    My mother broke her back at 50 - slipped in the kitchen. Not married. 2 Kids, couldn't work for 5 months, no money.

    The lady down the dirt road from me just broke her back 3 weeks ago. 2 kids. She's about 30. Got thrown from a horse. Spent a week in the ICU before she got the feeling back in her feet.

    The guy who owned the company (where my wife and I got laid off) is worth about $100 million. One evening (after sunset) he's out on a boat with his friend (also rich), drinking, tooling around a local lake. The wives are at the resort after a day at the spa. My old boss stands up in the boat, at night, drunk while going under a bridge. Decapitated (more or less). His problems are all over. The driver of the boat (also drunk) is charged with intoxication manslaughter.

    A guy is driving down a road near me. The wide F350 in front of him is driving real slow for no apparent reason. He zips around just in time to hit the bike rider who was turning left in front of the truck. Legal pass... Vehicular Manslaughter charge... 10 years in prison.

    The guy I bought my farm from had 3 "small" heart attacks, decided he couldn't live "out here" anymore.

    None of these were noteworthy (except the two manslaughter charges). Every one completely cratered the person's life. They are called "accidents" for a reason... It's never an "on purpose."

    Some take away all your money. Some take away your ability to walk AND all your money. Some take away your freedom (or threaten to).

    What's the plan?

    If you are out on bail for a charge that will get you 20 years (that you are guilty of) do you bug out?

    What if you spend all your money on a lawyer who does a miracle and pleads it down to vehicular assault - 6 months (enough time to lose your job) and 10 years probation with a felony record (so you can't get a job afterward)?

    Do you spend your life savings trying to defend yourself before you go to jail or preserve your money and run?

    "Money" may still be just as valid as it was the day before but you just don't have any or any ability to get some.... how do you prep for it.

    How many heart attacks is "enough" that it affects your life moving forward?

    *****************

    I'm sure everyone here, if they think about it, can come up with more of these real scenarios. Nobody above is a bad person.... shit just happens. How do you respond as a prepper? (Wishful thinking won't solve the problem or keep the justice system for locking you up for 10 years.)

    The most dangerous person to us that most of us ever meet is a standard police officer. They can take our lives in more ways than one.

    What do you do when the world doesn't come to an end for anybody but you?
    Uh, all anecotes are a part of life. I've had more incidents in my life than I care to count. Serious injuries, firings and layoffs. I never viewed them as SHTF scenes. They were situations that forced me to regroup and attack, again.

    I never considered it a SHTF scenario. I consdered it nothing more than life, and experiences that make for good stories that I spin with copious amounts of humor.
    inceptor and Prepared One like this.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

  3. #13
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    7,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    Uh, all anecotes are a part of life. I've had more incidents in my life than I care to count. Serious injuries, firings and layoffs. I never viewed them as SHTF scenes. They were situations that forced me to regroup and attack, again.

    I never considered it a SHTF scenario. I consdered it nothing more than life, and experiences that make for good stories that I spin with copious amounts of humor.
    Agreed. Life happens, get over it. And yeah, I've got some good stories out of it.
    Denton and Prepared One like this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    3,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    If you have no emergency cash saved and have managed to piss off your neighbors things could get rough if you fall off a ladder.
    I look at this stuff as "life." Yup, got arrested, but then so does just about every biker. Broke my neck in five places in a car accident. Laid off? Heck, I've been fired nine times. It was unwise to keep riding after a retinal tear, so I sold both my bikes.

    But God never leaves me, and each one of these set backs brought me benefits. For example, later in life I hired the cop who arrested me. I started seriously hitting the gym after my neck healed. I lost a lot of jobs, yes, but I always found a better job for more pay--then I started my own business. And after 50 years of looking through the handlebars, it was time to hang it up anyway. And due to the eye surgery, my vision actually improved.

    Everybody gets knocked down. Do you have what it takes to get back up again?
    Denton, Slippy and Prepared One like this.

  6. #15
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Northeast Texas
    Posts
    11,201
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    I look at this stuff as "life." Yup, got arrested, but then so does just about every biker. Broke my neck in five places in a car accident. Laid off? Heck, I've been fired nine times. It was unwise to keep riding after a retinal tear, so I sold both my bikes.

    But God never leaves me, and each one of these set backs brought me benefits. For example, later in life I hired the cop who arrested me. I started seriously hitting the gym after my neck healed. I lost a lot of jobs, yes, but I always found a better job for more pay--then I started my own business. And after 50 years of looking through the handlebars, it was time to hang it up anyway. And due to the eye surgery, my vision actually improved.

    Everybody gets knocked down. Do you have what it takes to get back up again?
    I just had this "talk" with one of my kids yesterday ….. "Its not how you fell down that they will remember, but rather how you got back up".
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

  7. #16
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SE Wisconsin
    Posts
    17,480
    If I did a crime that would get me 20 years , there was a dam good reason for it. Pretty sure if I got 3 steps I would be gone.
    Life throws curve balls. This house knows what being flat ass broke felt like. March Hogs you have 32 cents a pound in on the truck for 27 cents. Then pay $1.99 for 3 strips of bacon in a restaurant. Serve as many have before they started paying the military better.
    1 peace of pie and coffee every 2 weeks that was spending money budget. Spend last $300 you could come up with to buy a junk car to get to base with and have it go belly up in two days.
    Live through Jimmy Carter as president. Ours ace in the hole has always been family . With the right ones your are never alone.
    It can all end in a flash. Face it every time we get on the bike and ride. Won't stop us , we just try to be prepared for what could happen, Insurance, ride safe and ensure others are taken care of.
    Keep trying , keep fighting . one day you will be wore out in a hospital drained from over work. Family will gather round and tell . " you don't have to do this anymore, we aren't broke anymore"
    inceptor, Slippy and Prepared One like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

    Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

  8. #17
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    884
    Quote Originally Posted by tonybluegoat View Post
    The rest of the world can go merrily along while any one of us silently goes down the toilet. It happen everyday to lots of people. The following are only actual situations that I personally know about or have been involved in, not fiction.

    My wife and I both got laid off from our jobs on the SAME DAY. We worked at the same company. We had just put a deposit down to have a new house built.

    My mother broke her back at 50 - slipped in the kitchen. Not married. 2 Kids, couldn't work for 5 months, no money.

    The lady down the dirt road from me just broke her back 3 weeks ago. 2 kids. She's about 30. Got thrown from a horse. Spent a week in the ICU before she got the feeling back in her feet.

    The guy who owned the company (where my wife and I got laid off) is worth about $100 million. One evening (after sunset) he's out on a boat with his friend (also rich), drinking, tooling around a local lake. The wives are at the resort after a day at the spa. My old boss stands up in the boat, at night, drunk while going under a bridge. Decapitated (more or less). His problems are all over. The driver of the boat (also drunk) is charged with intoxication manslaughter.

    A guy is driving down a road near me. The wide F350 in front of him is driving real slow for no apparent reason. He zips around just in time to hit the bike rider who was turning left in front of the truck. Legal pass... Vehicular Manslaughter charge... 10 years in prison.

    The guy I bought my farm from had 3 "small" heart attacks, decided he couldn't live "out here" anymore.

    None of these were noteworthy (except the two manslaughter charges). Every one completely cratered the person's life. They are called "accidents" for a reason... It's never an "on purpose."

    Some take away all your money. Some take away your ability to walk AND all your money. Some take away your freedom (or threaten to).

    What's the plan?

    If you are out on bail for a charge that will get you 20 years (that you are guilty of) do you bug out?

    What if you spend all your money on a lawyer who does a miracle and pleads it down to vehicular assault - 6 months (enough time to lose your job) and 10 years probation with a felony record (so you can't get a job afterward)?

    Do you spend your life savings trying to defend yourself before you go to jail or preserve your money and run?

    "Money" may still be just as valid as it was the day before but you just don't have any or any ability to get some.... how do you prep for it.

    How many heart attacks is "enough" that it affects your life moving forward?

    *****************

    I'm sure everyone here, if they think about it, can come up with more of these real scenarios. Nobody above is a bad person.... shit just happens. How do you respond as a prepper? (Wishful thinking won't solve the problem or keep the justice system for locking you up for 10 years.)

    The most dangerous person to us that most of us ever meet is a standard police officer. They can take our lives in more ways than one.

    What do you do when the world doesn't come to an end for anybody but you?

    As far as I know most who prep now have already gone through their own personal SHTF events. These are the things that wake us up and turns us in to preparedness monsters.

    The two examples you provide that turned out to be manslaughter were just plan stupidity. Hopefully we can all refrain from stupid acts that get us thrown in jail and ruin our lives as well as all others involved.

    As a nurse I can tell you these daily events keep me motivated to actively prepare. I see every day people cut to their lowest by illness, motor vehicle accidents, freak accidents, death of a spouse. We could be hit at any time with an illness that takes away our income for weeks or months. Maybe permanently.
    Flu season is coming faster than you can imagine. How many will die or be in the hospital this year because of it? Either we are becoming less able to fight off these diseases or they are getting stronger and harder to fight. Last year we averaged more than 4,000 deaths per WEEK during the flu season. 80% of these people had not been vaccinated against the flu. Something to think about if you don't get your yearly flu shot.

    Most of the time people here talk about prepping for the big one involving big guns and lots of ammunition. Facts are that we will have our own SHTF events many times in our lifetime. job loss, illness, death, economic changes, bad judgment, and just everyday life changes can disrupt our fragile hold on stability. This is why we don't just store bullet. We should also live under our means, remain debt free, save for that rainy day that WILL come (money, food, and other supplies), and most of all protect our mental health, physical health and that of our family.

  9. #18
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Wherever won't get me hit.
    Posts
    17,528
    It's not how you celebrate your wins, it's how you take your losses.
    inceptor, modfan and Prepared One like this.

  10. #19
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    7,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    It's not how you celebrate your wins, it's how you take your losses.
    I thought we had a post of the day award. I can't find it but this sure qualifies.
    Slippy likes this.

  11. #20
    Super Moderator


    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,972
    Quote Originally Posted by tirednurse View Post
    As far as I know most who prep now have already gone through their own personal SHTF events. These are the things that wake us up and turns us in to preparedness monsters.

    The two examples you provide that turned out to be manslaughter were just plan stupidity. Hopefully we can all refrain from stupid acts that get us thrown in jail and ruin our lives as well as all others involved.

    As a nurse I can tell you these daily events keep me motivated to actively prepare. I see every day people cut to their lowest by illness, motor vehicle accidents, freak accidents, death of a spouse. We could be hit at any time with an illness that takes away our income for weeks or months. Maybe permanently.
    Flu season is coming faster than you can imagine. How many will die or be in the hospital this year because of it? Either we are becoming less able to fight off these diseases or they are getting stronger and harder to fight. Last year we averaged more than 4,000 deaths per WEEK during the flu season. 80% of these people had not been vaccinated against the flu. Something to think about if you don't get your yearly flu shot.

    Most of the time people here talk about prepping for the big one involving big guns and lots of ammunition. Facts are that we will have our own SHTF events many times in our lifetime. job loss, illness, death, economic changes, bad judgment, and just everyday life changes can disrupt our fragile hold on stability. This is why we don't just store bullet. We should also live under our means, remain debt free, save for that rainy day that WILL come (money, food, and other supplies), and most of all protect our mental health, physical health and that of our family.
    Other than getting the flu shot, spot on.

 

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. A great sci-fi, apocolyptic, crap hits the fan type movie
    By SanAntonioPrepper in forum Books, Videos, Media, Podcasts
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-02-2017, 01:18 PM
  2. If the shit hits the fan how long will it be before people band together and form set
    By Flint'n'steel in forum General Prepper and Survival Talk
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 04-06-2017, 08:36 PM
  3. Christians: what's does Christ expect of us when the stuff hits the fan?
    By Annie in forum General Prepper and Survival Talk
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 09-26-2016, 12:08 PM
  4. When the Schumer Hits the Fan
    By jc-hunter in forum Political News and Topics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-07-2013, 09:47 AM
Back to Top