Survival Uses for Trashcans
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Survival Uses for Trashcans within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Even though we often spend money buying items that will make great additions to our preps, there are many things around the house that can ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Survival Uses for Trashcans

Even though we often spend money buying items that will make great additions to our preps, there are many things around the house that can be used in tough times. One of these is the simple trashcan. You might be amazed at the uses to which you can put in it, with a little ingenuity and creativity. Check out this list of uses for trashcans! But first…

Why Trashcans?

Why not? Trashcans are everywhere! Everyone has at least one. Because they are so readily available, they make a prefect prepping item. But there is more to it than just their availability. Trashcans are:

Relatively inexpensive
    Incredibly durable
    Available in different materials for different uses (you’ll see more about this below)
    Available in different sizes
    Have a lid
    Are easy to transport

Survival Uses for Trashcans | Prepping 1O1
    stowlin likes this.
    Announcing Our New web-site 100% CBD products
    Hidden Content

https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...Prepping%201O1

that's the biggest blogger idiot EVER >>> 100% BS & nonsense - food grade garbage cans????? - even a newbie prepper knows more ...
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

I use metal cans for storage of things that attract vermin/rodents. Need a weight on the lid if bigger stuff like coons can get at it.

Foodstuffs go inside sealed food grade containers, seeds for farm use (buckwheat, rye, oats, etc), bird food, garden seeds (inside sealed pouches), etc......
    Annie, Slippy and youngridge like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    I use metal cans for storage of things that attract vermin/rodents. Need a weight on the lid if bigger stuff like coons can get at it.

Foodstuffs go inside sealed food grade containers, seeds for farm use (buckwheat, rye, oats, etc), bird food, garden seeds (inside sealed pouches), etc......
    This is what I do. They're great; chew-proof, then I put the mylar rice and pasta in there. I keep the kibble in a trash can, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    This is what I do. They're great; chew-proof, then I put the mylar rice and pasta in there. I keep the kibble in a trash can, too!
    Vermin love dog/cat food too!
    Annie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Vermin love dog/cat food too!
    The problem with storing animal kibble long term (more than 12 months) is that it goes rancid, some brands in less than 8 months. In cooler temperatures than we have in TN it may last longer but after trying several brands of dog and cat food I've learned to keep less than 6 months worth of animal food stored.

Having said that I think clean trash cans are a great storage option.
    Let's say you grow and harvest a bumper crop of corn that you dried to a low moisture content that you need to store to feed your family over the next year, A few trashcans are a great choice.

Let's not forget, a trash can filled with sand, can make a bullet resistant machine gun nest for your perimeter defense...as well as a huge ash tray!
    Announcing Our New web-site 100% CBD products
    Hidden Content

NSF = Food grade Yes there are such things used in food processing plants.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    [1]Survival: Actions I need to do NOW to live another 5 minutes to 3 days.[2] Prepping: What I do to insure my family makes it thru an adverse event lasting 3 days to 3 months [3] Seeds and livestock: What you need for long term subsistence.

Only 8 things listed in that link? maybe that's just for urban preppers.

You gotta think outside the can.
    There's more to a trash can then it's shape. They are basically two different materials, metal and plastic. With a knife or tin snips and or a few other items they can be made into a multitude of things.
    Off the top of my head, roof shingles, shelter, tools, knives, weapons, patch a hole in a boat, make a smaller container, repair a bullet hole in a radiator or fuel tank, windmill, irrigation trough, stove, stove pipe, water filtration system. They are raw materials, plastic can easily be melted to a pliable or liquid state and molded, metal as well.
    Urinal Cake and BookWorm like this.
    I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number please.

Stupidity, the New Common Sense

I kept all my PACKAGED / CANNED food items in the large recycle bins provided by city for years. I got them brand new and used them with 100% success, also used store bought cans for misc also. But would only use any such item if it was brand new. Never used, hazard rule I have never broken and it so far has worked quite well for me.
    "Every day above ground is a good one" Author KO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links