Sleep apnea - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Sleep apnea

This is a discussion on Sleep apnea within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Gunn I am going to step in here as the professional. Some of you may know I am a Respiratory Therapist. When ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Sleep apnea

Quote Originally Posted by Gunn View Post
    I am going to step in here as the professional. Some of you may know I am a Respiratory Therapist. When I first came on this forum I owned a company on the Oregon coast that all we did was Respiratory issues. Thanks to Obamacare I no longer own it.
    Now OSA or Obstructive Sleep Apnea is no joking matter. If you have it, get it treated. I am on a CPAP my wife is on one. Now I am over weight but she is not. Hers is due to a smaller than normal airway. A CPAP can help with diabetes, high blood pressure, insomnia, migraines and so on.
    As I read this post, I am shaking my head. There are a lot of doctors that apparently are quacks. If a CPAP does not work for you, change the mask. There are hundreds of masks out there, don't let them BS you into thinking there are not. Also try to stay with the local companies, the big companies are not very good at helping you. Lincare and Apria were my best forms of advertisement. If you are not getting rim sleep, get a CPAP. I will say I am one of the FEW that does not reach RIM sleep every night, but I do most nights.
    If you have questions talk to a Pulmonologist. Or if you want the unabridged version PM me. I will help in any way. It has changed my life. Out of the 1500 patients we had probably 95% would say the same thing.
    Well I don't know how long ago that was but the local companies here suck, all of them. They act like they are doing you a favor by even talking to you. Getting supplies can be a nightmare. I have not choice but to use them. I will find out how internet companies work with medicare but most don't take insurance. Since I'm new to medicare I'm still trying to figure things out.

My wife has for over 5 years. It saved her life. She was not sleeping, her health was going down hill. I called or family Doctor and he had a sleep study done with in 2 days. that was the problem. All those other jerks messed around for almost a year.
    She has to ensure she keeps her mask in good shape and change when they should be . We take the Machine even on the bike with us.
    Deebo likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

I am going to step in here as the professional. Some of you may know I am a Respiratory Therapist. When I first came on this forum I owned a company on the Oregon coast that all we did was Respiratory issues. Thanks to Obamacare I no longer own it.
    Now OSA or Obstructive Sleep Apnea is no joking matter. If you have it, get it treated. I am on a CPAP my wife is on one. Now I am over weight but she is not. Hers is due to a smaller than normal airway. A CPAP can help with diabetes, high blood pressure, insomnia, migraines and so on.
    As I read this post, I am shaking my head. There are a lot of doctors that apparently are quacks. If a CPAP does not work for you, change the mask. There are hundreds of masks out there, don't let them BS you into thinking there are not. Also try to stay with the local companies, the big companies are not very good at helping you. Lincare and Apria were my best forms of advertisement. If you are not getting rim sleep, get a CPAP. I will say I am one of the FEW that does not reach RIM sleep every night, but I do most nights.
    If you have questions talk to a Pulmonologist. Or if you want the unabridged version PM me. I will help in any way. It has changed my life. Out of the 1500 patients we had probably 95% would say the same thing.
    Always nice to bump into somebody who really knows about some of the discussions around here. Thanks.
    T-Man 1066 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Thanks @Gunn
    Good info.

About 18 years ago, I was younger, fitter and thinner. I worked out hard and lived good, but my sleep habits sucked.

Instead of a CPAP, my ENT doc saw that my septum was crooked and my sinuses needed bored out. A Septoplasty fixed my septum/nose and I guess doc used a drill with a wire brush to clean my sinuses! Good stuff!

No more snoring and relatively good sleep habits since.

Funny story, my pre-surgeryMRI revealed that I broke my nose twice!

I thought I won those fights! Hahahahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by inceptor View Post
    Well I don't know how long ago that was but the local companies here suck, all of them. They act like they are doing you a favor by even talking to you. Getting supplies can be a nightmare. I have not choice but to use them. I will find out how internet companies work with medicare but most don't take insurance. Since I'm new to medicare I'm still trying to figure things out.
    If the locals won't work with you screw them. If you are going to go on line, Verus was pretty good. I get my stuff from the VA and my wife gets hers from Verus. My wife is on Medicare and they take it. I don't know why people had problems with Medicare, we loved them. Most Insurance companies only pay what is "Allowable" and Medicare sets what is "Allowable". Good Luck
    inceptor likes this.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum.
    NRA Life Member
    "America is at that awkward stage. It's to late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards" Claire Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Thanks @Gunn
    Good info.

About 18 years ago, I was younger, fitter and thinner. I worked out hard and lived good, but my sleep habits sucked.

Instead of a CPAP, my ENT doc saw that my septum was crooked and my sinuses needed bored out. A Septoplasty fixed my septum/nose and I guess doc used a drill with a wire brush to clean my sinuses! Good stuff!

No more snoring and relatively good sleep habits since.

Funny story, my pre-surgeryMRI revealed that I broke my nose twice!

I thought I won those fights! Hahahahahahaha
    Slippy I don't know if you had OSA. Because OSA has nothing to do with your nose. OSA is when you sleep, the tongue rolls back and in conjunction with the uvula it blocks your airway. Maybe when they did surgery the shaved your uvula? If a person has Central Sleep Apnea that is completely different. That is a neurological problem.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum.
    NRA Life Member
    "America is at that awkward stage. It's to late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards" Claire Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
    Anybody else have sleep apnea, and use a C-PAP?
    I just started using my machine again (new) last night.
    I remember from years ago, the first week I didn't sleep to well, but after, I did good.
    I have a slight case of it, but I decided against using a machine, it was too much irritation at the time. Things may change though, and old age has been a trial for me; so anything is possible.
    inceptor likes this.

Slippy I don't know if you had OSA. Because OSA has nothing to do with your nose. OSA is when you sleep, the tongue rolls back and in conjunction with the uvula it blocks your airway. Maybe when they did surgery the shaved your uvula? If a person has Central Sleep Apnea that is completely different. That is a neurological problem.
    Oh my …… Slippy has a shaved uvula?
    Slippy and Gunn like this.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

Thanks for your comprehensive professional comments @Gunn !
    CPAP for about 10 years now. I use a full face mask, as I have never been able to breath through my nose well... small sinuses. I had chronic pain for several years, and it turned out I was not getting restorative sleep at ALL. Much better now.
    As preppers we'll need to prepare to run our CPAP machines to operate in a grid down / EMP scenario. I need to get a system set up whereas I can use the rechargeable batteries with a grid down generating system (solar, wind, paddle wheel).
    inceptor likes this.

If the locals won't work with you screw them. If you are going to go on line, Verus was pretty good. I get my stuff from the VA and my wife gets hers from Verus. My wife is on Medicare and they take it. I don't know why people had problems with Medicare, we loved them. Most Insurance companies only pay what is "Allowable" and Medicare sets what is "Allowable". Good Luck
    Thanks for this. I just set up my account online.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links