What do You Personally Actually Do... not just read/talk about. - Page 17
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

What do You Personally Actually Do... not just read/talk about.

This is a discussion on What do You Personally Actually Do... not just read/talk about. within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by MisterMills357 YEAH! What he said! His fingers are all cramped up, otherwise you would get an eyeful. You just wait though! My ...

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
Like Tree228Likes

Thread: What do You Personally Actually Do... not just read/talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMills357 View Post
    YEAH! What he said!

His fingers are all cramped up, otherwise you would get an eyeful. You just wait though!

My Sherlock Holmes pipe is busted; what is that, what repeater are you talking about? Are you talking about an antennae, or a transceiver?

See, I have company, he does not know either. Please igplain.
    Y'all really don't know what a repeater is?

Besides those used for 2m/440 they are a common thing for the internet. Lot's of folks use them in the home to fix dead spots. I haven't had a need to look into it but I see no reason that one couldn't be used for longer range internet.
    Denton and MisterMills357 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by inceptor View Post

Besides those used for 2m/440 they are a common thing for the internet. Lot's of folks use them in the home to fix dead spots. I haven't had a need to look into it but I see no reason that one couldn't be used for longer range internet.
    OH! That repeater!
    inceptor likes this.
    A DECLARATION OF THE RIGHTS OF THE INHABITANTS OF THE COMMONWEALTH, OR STATE OF PENNSYLVANIA:: [Pennsylvaia was a very different place then, just look at Philly today, compared to 1776 AD.]
    [And it is regrettable that their original confrontational ways, about how government should work, has been lost.]

VI. That those who are employed in the legislative and executive business of the State, may be restrained from oppression, the people have a right, at such periods as they may think proper, to reduce their public officers to a private station, and supply the vacancies by certain and regular elections.
    [Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by inceptor View Post

Might the reason be the wavelength limiting the range? At 2.4ghz you’d have about 304.8m range in perfect conditions.

Fangfarrier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Where there are a ton of "All Hat, No Cattle" "preppers" out there, please don't lump all of us into that category.

I don't plug my blog much here because it's just not what I like to do, but if you want to see what it is we do, daily, we talk about it at Beans, Bullets, Bandages & You (CLICK ME).

The articles are about what we do, and what we have done, as well as what we have learned through education, experimentation and a whole lot of trial-and-error.

You've been homesteading for 7 years? We've been homesteading in one form or another for 32 years, and we are in the process of building a full-blown off-grid BOL homestead out in the hinterlands while maintaining and growing our in-town homestead. At various times we have raised chickens, rabbits & geese, as well as fish (in a pond, not a tank). I've milked goats, made cheese, you name it... killed and butchered our own animals, hunted, taken the game, field stripped, butchered & prepared the meat, froze it, jerked it, again you name it, we've done it.

I apprenticed with a gunsmith for a couple of years, yadda yadda yadda I could go on and on.

I've also got the pictures (on my blog) to prove I'm not full of bull.
    Check out my prepping/survival website for my podcast, down to earth reviews, advice and a bit of humor thrown in as well.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Salt-N-Pepper View Post
    Don't take it personal. The guys who blast you the worst will never come out from behind their mommie's computer screen.

You (and people with your experience) is the reason I came here. I don't even understand with what I don't understand. Back in the 1970s I figured preppers were like civilian mercenaries. So I hauled two tons of wheels weights out of a tire changing shop (it was "scrap" then), I bought lynotype, solder and a number of bullet molds. I learned how to polish knives--that was dumb luck. I hated my adult job and became a polisher.

But I do not know how to grow vegetables, slaughter large animals, build primitive shelters when black clouds swirl, and how to filter/sterilize large amounts of water.

You know how to do that. The answer to your issue is to teach guys like me. As for the loudmouths, they'll be lucky if they can correct your spelling.

I want to hear from you on survivalist items
    . Tell that to the loudmouth that's on ya.'
    Last edited by The Tourist; 10-08-2018 at 02:48 PM. Reason: spelling
    Slippy and Chiefster23 like this.

I know more than some, less than others.

I try to come at it with the idea of, "What if the Agway, TSC, or other big box store is no longer available? What then?"

Yes, I have done things the hard way, like scything 90 days worth of hay to feed six goats in the winter.
    But I now know it can be done. I can do it. And do it the right way.

In the Marines, we always did it the hard way first, then the easy way.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post

But I do not know how to grow vegetables, slaughter large animals....and how to filter/sterilize large amounts of water.
    @The Tourist

Growing vegetables is something that we love to do and every year it gets easier and more productive.

Raised Beds are in my opinion the easiest and best way to get started. Raised Beds are easier on your back, easier to maintain and much easier to create a productive soil environment.

One method is to take some Stock Tanks, shoot holes (or drill holes...but shooting holes is funner!) in the bottom. Add some rocks or stones, then some sand then your soil. The height of the Stock Tanks are easy on the back and keep some of the critters out.

I suggest you start with plants your first year instead of seeds. Fertilizer is important and so is sun and water. If you cut enough drain holes in your tank it is hard to over water. Don't go crazy with water, some veggies like lots of water and some like less more frequently.

Tomatoes, Peppers and Cucumbers are in my opinion pretty easy. Maybe start there. Fertilizers are important but you'll learn after a few seasons which are best.

Check out some of the threads on raised bed gardening. Next year is just around the corner so get to it!

Good luck
    soyer38301 likes this.

@Slippy

Thanks for the info. We have a large deck off our kitchen window, and my wife was going to try growing vegetables in barrels or boxes. She tried some small, yellow tomatoes, and grew numerous ones, only to find out if I eat them for a day or two I get a red mouth.

Right now she's taking landscaping classes, with a large section for vegetables. I'm still working on the best system we can augment to our water system. As you know, the heavy rains in Madison have backed up lake water into the sewer system. I live in the 'burbs, and truthfully, I do not know where our water comes from. I'm considering one of those "osmosis systems" that cleans every drop that comes into the house.
    Slippy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Salt-N-Pepper View Post
    Where there are a ton of "All Hat, No Cattle" "preppers" out there, please don't lump all of us into that category.

I don't plug my blog much here because it's just not what I like to do, but if you want to see what it is we do, daily, we talk about it at Beans, Bullets, Bandages & You (CLICK ME).

The articles are about what we do, and what we have done, as well as what we have learned through education, experimentation and a whole lot of trial-and-error.

You've been homesteading for 7 years? We've been homesteading in one form or another for 32 years, and we are in the process of building a full-blown off-grid BOL homestead out in the hinterlands while maintaining and growing our in-town homestead. At various times we have raised chickens, rabbits & geese, as well as fish (in a pond, not a tank). I've milked goats, made cheese, you name it... killed and butchered our own animals, hunted, taken the game, field stripped, butchered & prepared the meat, froze it, jerked it, again you name it, we've done it.

I apprenticed with a gunsmith for a couple of years, yadda yadda yadda I could go on and on.

Can’t open the blog on my phone but I am quoting your post so I can find it later when I get on a laptop. Looking forward to it, thanks salt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NotTooProudToHide View Post
    That's interesting. When I was a child, around when I was between 9 and 12, my dad had us take care of rabbits kind of as a project. I remember breeding them and I remember litter sizes of say 6 to 8 but I don't remember having anything near 14 but then again I was a kid and could barely count beyond my fingers.

Rabbits are a very efficient and cost effective way to put meat on the table.
    @NotTooProudToHide I thought you might like to see this pic. Not your 6-8 count litter. This one is 21 kits. Three times the number you used to get from your rabbits.

What do You Personally Actually Do... not just read/talk about.-21-bunnies.jpg
    Denton, SGG, Annie and 6 others like this.

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links