Pre and Post-SHTF community planning.
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Pre and Post-SHTF community planning. within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I am well aware this will go into the face of their logic for some. Their heads may explode. I am perfectly indifferent. I believe ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Pre and Post-SHTF community planning.

I am well aware this will go into the face of their logic for some.
    Their heads may explode.
    I am perfectly indifferent.

I believe in order to not only survive a SHTF situation, but also thrive will require a community. Could be a large group, your own “tribe,” call it what you will.
    Just surviving is not enough.
    There is an entire discussion concerning Maslow's hierarchy of needs and SHTF, but that is for another thread.

In pre-planning, be honest with yourself and identify your skill shortcomings or gaps in your preps. Very few people can do it all.
    Case in point, I know squat about welding. But I have a good friend and neighbor who can weld anything.
    I have another friend and neighbor who has his own foundry. He melted down a aluminum transmission last weekend.
    Look around at your neighbors and see who could fill those gaps in your skills that may be useful later.

We have several gardens. I save seeds. Rather then having my neighbors raiding my gardens post-SHTF, I will give away seeds . . . now. Get them to start their own gardens, expand the seed stock, and they will less likely to go all Mad Max on you, kill you and take your things.

Be that friendly guy who waves as he drives by.

Despite the Marines beating running into me, I hate running. I prefer cycling. So I cycle in and around my community.
    Few people see some yahoo in spandex as a threat. As I pound the peddles, I look around. I take mental note of what I see:
    Based off the size of the antenna, that neighbor has a HAM radio.
    That neighbor has sheep.
    That neighbor has horses.
    That neighbor has hogs.
    That neighbor has a backhoe.
    That neighbor has lines set up for maple syrup collection.
    That neighbor has bee hives.
    That neighbor has apple trees.

I am not looking to steal or loot anything. That is the path down to lawlessness and the complete and total break down of society. A quick and easy way to get shot.
    Rather than me invest in all the gear for a HAM radio, that neighbor is the resident HAM expert.
    Start a breeding program with all the neighbors who have livestock.

Do not look at your neighbors as potential adversaries.
    Make them into allies.
    Now.

What about your friends?
    Everyone has the potential to offer something in a post-SHTF situation.

Family . . . now that I think on it, I would be okay if certain family members got eaten by the infamous Mutant Biker Zombies.
    And I certainly would not want to be under the same roof as them for a prolonged period of time.
    There are a number of so-called survivalists who I expect would get stabbed in the back by their own wives after a prolong period of time in close proximity.

Which brings up another item of discussion: Group dynamics.
    Who is likely to rock the boat vs who will keep it steady?

Edit: Granted each and everyone here has different circumstances. YMMV.

Per the Marine Corps: Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.
    inceptor, Denton, BookWorm and 2 others like this.

I like the way you think and have given this topic more than a little thought because I want to know what I think I can expect from my neighbors.

I live in Seattle ( as I have mentioned a few times) and while the politics of this area drive me crazy there are some upsides.

Because people are conscious of what they eat and where it comes from gardens are really common. They aren’t huge but they are plentiful.

Seattle allows residents to have up to five chickens and so many do.

Lots of fruit trees and blackberry bushes in my neighborhood. Lots.

These factors won’t feed us in hard times but it will help.

On the flip side I really wonder how many families have more than a weeks worth of food in their houses.

Despite all the warnings about the impending super quake (not if but when) I doubt many people have really thought through what things are going to be like after a 9.0 quake.

Most of my neighbors hold desk jobs so I don’t know if we have a lot of practical skills but we all know each other pretty well and I believe that many of my most direct neighbors will choose to be part of the solution rather than the problem when it comes time to work together.

But I also realize that doesn’t change the reality that we would have a lot of difficulty feeding the neighborhood once store bought food is gone. It brings to mind someone’s post about the realities of actually growing crops to subsist on and understanding how to deal with all of the issues that farmers deal with regularly.

So where does that leave me? Hoping for the best but preparing for the worst or at least something other than best case scenario.

To be honest I worry far more about getting laid off and finding work this late in life that pays as well. I am not afraid to dig ditches just hoping that we aren’t ever forced to sell our house because we can’t make the mortgage. It brings to mind one of my favorite quotes by the Roman Stoic Seneca

“No man has ever been shattered by the blows of fortune without first being deceived by her favors. “

Hopefully my response isn’t taking this thread off the rails.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    inceptor and WhatTheHeck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by WhatTheHeck View Post
    I am well aware this will go into the face of their logic for some.
    Their heads may explode.
    I am perfectly indifferent.

I believe in order to not only survive a SHTF situation, but also thrive will require a community. Could be a large group, your own “tribe,” call it what you will.
    Just surviving is not enough.
    There is an entire discussion concerning Maslow's hierarchy of needs and SHTF, but that is for another thread.

In pre-planning, be honest with yourself and identify your skill shortcomings or gaps in your preps. Very few people can do it all.
    Case in point, I know squat about welding. But I have a good friend and neighbor who can weld anything.
    I have another friend and neighbor who has his own foundry. He melted down a aluminum transmission last weekend.
    Look around at your neighbors and see who could fill those gaps in your skills that may be useful later.

We have several gardens. I save seeds. Rather then having my neighbors raiding my gardens post-SHTF, I will give away seeds . . . now. Get them to start their own gardens, expand the seed stock, and they will less likely to go all Mad Max on you, kill you and take your things.

Be that friendly guy who waves as he drives by.

Despite the Marines beating running into me, I hate running. I prefer cycling. So I cycle in and around my community.
    Few people see some yahoo in spandex as a threat. As I pound the peddles, I look around. I take mental note of what I see:
    Based off the size of the antenna, that neighbor has a HAM radio.
    That neighbor has sheep.
    That neighbor has horses.
    That neighbor has hogs.
    That neighbor has a backhoe.
    That neighbor has lines set up for maple syrup collection.
    That neighbor has bee hives.
    That neighbor has apple trees.

I am not looking to steal or loot anything. That is the path down to lawlessness and the complete and total break down of society. A quick and easy way to get shot.
    Rather than me invest in all the gear for a HAM radio, that neighbor is the resident HAM expert.
    Start a breeding program with all the neighbors who have livestock.

Do not look at your neighbors as potential adversaries.
    Make them into allies.
    Now.

What about your friends?
    Everyone has the potential to offer something in a post-SHTF situation.

Family . . . now that I think on it, I would be okay if certain family members got eaten by the infamous Mutant Biker Zombies.
    And I certainly would not want to be under the same roof as them for a prolonged period of time.
    There are a number of so-called survivalists who I expect would get stabbed in the back by their own wives after a prolong period of time in close proximity.

Which brings up another item of discussion: Group dynamics.
    Who is likely to rock the boat vs who will keep it steady?

Edit: Granted each and everyone here has different circumstances. YMMV.

Per the Marine Corps: Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.
    @WhatTheHeck you bring up very good points and a subject I've mentioned a few times in public and private. I would very much enjoy putting together a group of like minded people who can agree on most of the big items and at least half of the small ones. The problem I face is... here in my little piece of the pie (central KS) fear minded people out rule the population. In the 2.5 yrs at my current employer I have found 2 other people who prep. I gave them both my 16 page booklet I wrote 4 yrs ago on prepping for the 14 potential threats. I did this as an introduction on the subject, letting them know I'm interested in talking to them about it.

So far both of them don't want to talk about it and now look at me as if I was a whacko stalking them. Another 2 people within the community (not co-workers) have acted the same way. My problem is, how are these fear minded people going to act 3 months after SHTF? If they see me out and about will they try and blame me for Yellowstone going off or a N Korea EMP attack or Iran power grid attack, just because I wrote that it could happen and become the #1 public enemy.

This king of paranoid thinking isn't much different than the Salem Witch trials. When people who are already fear based thinkers have something catastrophic happen, they loose all sense of their minds and common sense no longer exists.

So answer/offer me this How do you attempt to deal with that?
    Everybody seems to have a right, but who has any responsibility?

"It's better to keep your mouth closed and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" - Abe Lincoln

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ilmostrog View Post
    I like the way you think and have given this topic more than a little thought because I want to know what I think I can expect from my neighbors.

I live in Seattle ( as I have mentioned a few times) and while the politics of this area drive me crazy there are some upsides.

Because people are conscious of what they eat and where it comes from gardens are really common. They aren’t huge but they are plentiful.

Seattle allows residents to have up to five chickens and so many do.

Lots of fruit trees and blackberry bushes in my neighborhood. Lots.

These factors won’t feed us in hard times but it will help.

On the flip side I really wonder how many families have more than a weeks worth of food in their houses.

Despite all the warnings about the impending super quake (not if but when) I doubt many people have really thought through what things are going to be like after a 9.0 quake.

Most of my neighbors hold desk jobs so I don’t know if we have a lot of practical skills but we all know each other pretty well and I believe that many of my most direct neighbors will choose to be part of the solution rather than the problem when it comes time to work together.

But I also realize that doesn’t change the reality that we would have a lot of difficulty feeding the neighborhood once store bought food is gone. It brings to mind someone’s post about the realities of actually growing crops to subsist on and understanding how to deal with all of the issues that farmers deal with regularly.

So where does that leave me? Hoping for the best but preparing for the worst or at least something other than best case scenario.

To be honest I worry far more about getting laid off and finding work this late in life that pays as well. I am not afraid to dig ditches just hoping that we aren’t ever forced to sell our house because we can’t make the mortgage. It brings to mind one of my favorite quotes by the Roman Stoic Seneca

“No man has ever been shattered by the blows of fortune without first being deceived by her favors. “

Hopefully my response isn’t taking this thread off the rails.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Actually your post to a degree reflects what my original intent was: Look around, take note and stock of your particular situation.

Everyone is different in their own circumstances based off everything from geophysical location, to occupation, to even relationship status.

Too add, a most excellent quote.

Thank you for responding.

Quote Originally Posted by BookWorm View Post
    @WhatTheHeck you bring up very good points and a subject I've mentioned a few times in public and private. I would very much enjoy putting together a group of like minded people who can agree on most of the big items and at least half of the small ones. The problem I face is... here in my little piece of the pie (central KS) fear minded people out rule the population. In the 2.5 yrs at my current employer I have found 2 other people who prep. I gave them both my 16 page booklet I wrote 4 yrs ago on prepping for the 14 potential threats. I did this as an introduction on the subject, letting them know I'm interested in talking to them about it.

So far both of them don't want to talk about it and now look at me as if I was a whacko stalking them. Another 2 people within the community (not co-workers) have acted the same way. My problem is, how are these fear minded people going to act 3 months after SHTF? If they see me out and about will they try and blame me for Yellowstone going off or a N Korea EMP attack or Iran power grid attack, just because I wrote that it could happen and become the #1 public enemy.

This king of paranoid thinking isn't much different than the Salem Witch trials. When people who are already fear based thinkers have something catastrophic happen, they loose all sense of their minds and common sense no longer exists.

Now that is without a doubt a hard question to answer.

If you will, allow me to think on your question a bit and get back to you.
    Note: my response will definitely not be the correct answer. But if I can give you some degree of feed back . . .

Quote Originally Posted by BookWorm View Post

Book Worm,
    This is the closest to an answer that I have to your very hard question: Fact is, people who are afraid will turn to anyone who promises them a solution. They will turn to anyone who claims they have an answer. They will turn to anyone who offers salvation.
    Could be Joseph McCarthy and the Red Scare.
    Could be Jim Jones and the kool aid.

While I would like to think cooler heads would prevail, I know that is an exception rather than a rule.

Look around your neighborhood. Whom would you want to be the next leaders in a post-SHTF world?
    Look around this forum. Whom would you want them to be the next leaders?

There are those whom would gladly shoot another human being without remorse. Without consideration. Just shoot them, not knowing their situation.
    They call themselves survivalists.
    But they leave their humanity behind.
    If that is what it means to survive as a species, then I question if we have the right to survive. The world just might be better off if the human race went totally extinct.

I am a Untied States Marine. I see it as my duty to do everything to lead those around me to not only survive but thrive in a post-SHTF situation.
    If we as a species is expected to survive, then I will require every single person to work hard, together, without sacrificing their independence, to ensure the next generation to succeed.

I hope you can find it in your community to have the same leadership.

Book Worm,
    This is the closest to an answer that I have to your very hard question: Fact is, people who are afraid will turn to anyone who promises them a solution. They will turn to anyone who claims they have an answer. They will turn to anyone who offers salvation.
    Could be Joseph McCarthy and the Red Scare.
    Could be Jim Jones and the kool aid.

While I would like to think cooler heads would prevail, I know that is an exception rather than a rule.

Look around your neighborhood. Whom would you want to be the next leaders in a post-SHTF world?
    Look around this forum. Whom would you want them to be the next leaders?

There are those whom would gladly shoot another human being without remorse. Without consideration. Just shoot them, not knowing their situation.
    They call themselves survivalists.
    But they leave their humanity behind.
    If that is what it means to survive as a species, then I question if we have the right to survive. The world just might be better off if the human race went totally extinct.

I am a Untied States Marine. I see it as my duty to do everything to lead those around me to not only survive but thrive in a post-SHTF situation.
    If we as a species is expected to survive, then I will require every single person to work hard, together, without sacrificing their independence, to ensure the next generation to succeed.

I hope you can find it in your community to have the same leadership.
    @WhatTheHeck I agree with all that you've said. People will follow those who they believe are good leaders (sadly Hitler gave a good speech). And I am trying to learn as much as I can as I feel God brought me into prepping based on what happened to my career. Will I be a leader within my community, I don't know, but I'm willing to do my best.
    You are a Marine, I was five years in the Army... only my military experience was much different than 99.5% of those who served. I am also a Christian who believes he is being led by the Lord to do what I am doing. I too have wondered if we don't deserve the planet God has given us to enjoy. Throughout history, as a human race all we've done is kill each other to adjust the lines on a map.

We've built an international space station with a diverse group of people who work together on it, yet those same governments who send scientist up there also continue to spy on each other, secretly making plans on how to destroy them.

As for my community... no idea how people will act after an event. They have so much internal fear, I worry they will follow the person who is saying the prettiest things, no matter how far from the truth they are. Anything to make them feel better, and the dirtiest of people will know how to use that against them. (in fact I think History shows that)
    Everybody seems to have a right, but who has any responsibility?

"It's better to keep your mouth closed and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" - Abe Lincoln

Without a doubt, BookWorm, issues like these make me ponder SHTF vs even useful skill sets.

Every single one of us have the potential to re-build society.
    What kind of society do we re-build?

@WhatTheHeck is correct. Do your recon. Get to know your neighborhood and the neighbors. You will have to make some judgements on incomplete information but at least you will have an idea as to what skills will be available and what will not. I do not plan on tipping my plans/preps to anyone unless I deem it absolutely necessary and then on a need to know basis. So do not be discouraged if someone is unreceptive to prepper conversation. Just get to know them and their families. You will learn a great deal. Is someone a hunter? Oh this lady is a seamstress, and so on.
    WhatTheHeck and inceptor like this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Without a doubt, BookWorm, issues like these make me ponder SHTF vs even useful skill sets.

Every single one of us have the potential to re-build society.
    What kind of society do we re-build?
    If it ever comes to that I think one based on our constitution is a great place to start. Someone else brought up the one second later series and I think the main characters instincts and intentions are s pretty good model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    WhatTheHeck likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links