There wont be any practice shooting post shtf - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

There wont be any practice shooting post shtf

This is a discussion on There wont be any practice shooting post shtf within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Dry firing. Everything I have heard about firearms training is that dry firing is essential. I don’t think that is going to draw a lot ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: There wont be any practice shooting post shtf

Dry firing. Everything I have heard about firearms training is that dry firing is essential. I don’t think that is going to draw a lot of attention.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There will be a lot of practice at my place the 1st few weeks of SHTF as the people who rarely shoot here hone their skills. Every home around here shoots occasionally so some additional practice shooting won't stand out.

Later on shooting will be reduced to conserve ammo but there will still be occasional practice to maintain proficiency. Hiding the fact that you're house is armed is useless around here, every home and most outbuildings have at least a rifle for pest control.
    We could shoot suppressed but why not remind the potential thieves that your group may be better armed and better shots.

People within 1/2 mile of you will know you're in the area even if you hide in a hole, they will smell your wood smoke, hear you chop wood, or see where you're trying to grow a garden; something will give your location away.
    I refuse to live like a hermit in a hole, Yes, caution is advised but daily life and chores will go on. At least I'd be able to stop cutting the damn lawn.
    Last edited by Elvis; 09-15-2018 at 06:40 PM.
    WhatTheHeck likes this.

There has only been one mention of a silencer, but no mention of alternative silent weapons. Bows, blow guns, throwing knives or stars... of course you have to be close and accurate, but if you're hiding out after SHTF what else can you do to pass time but practice your skills?
    Steve40th and inceptor like this.
    Everybody seems to have a right, but who has any responsibility?

"It's better to keep your mouth closed and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" - Abe Lincoln

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

No need to shoot anything but intruders if you are in your bunker with 20+ years of food and water for you and yours.save your major calibers for the roaming ilk and the .22 lr for the edible critters.
    TOUGH TIMES DONT LAST,TOUGH PEOPLE DO.

Quote Originally Posted by WhatTheHeck View Post
    strength in numbers, depend on our neighbors, make those relationships now.
    Through those relationships now, will be the building blocks for a community post-SHTF.

The tacti-cool, living in a hole is a sure way to death.
    I agree, in fact, building communes now should already be in progress. One member recently said his wife's only chance after TEOTWAWKI would be a pancres from a marauder. I do not know if that transplant in the boonies would work--but if it was my wife I'd sure give it a try. Here's where the commune idea has merit--there might be a doctor there, but I'm a polisher. I make scalpels look like dull spoons. In other words, the elements of success might be a man or even men. It might be a committee.

And banging around with large caliber anything is going to draw inquisitive people. I'd use a suppressor if I had one, but the Mafia takes out competition with .22LR rounds. No one hears them, and no one living is around to testify.
    WhatTheHeck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    I agree, in fact, building communes now should already be in progress. One member recently said his wife's only chance after TEOTWAWKI would be a pancres from a marauder. I do not know if that transplant in the boonies would work--but if it was my wife I'd sure give it a try. Here's where the commune idea has merit--there might be a doctor there, but I'm a polisher. I make scalpels look like dull spoons. In other words, the elements of success might be a man or even men. It might be a committee.

And banging around with large caliber anything is going to draw inquisitive people. I'd use a suppressor if I had one, but the Mafia takes out competition with .22LR rounds. No one hears them, and no one living is around to testify.
    In regards to your friend's wife, if I recall correctly, in the old days they used to get insulin from pigs.
    Is it possible to bring back that technology?

Look into PCP air rifles. My .22 air rifle is so quiet, the sound of the pellet hitting the gong makes more noise then when I squeeze the trigger and send the pellet down range.
    Cheaper than .22LR too.

Quote Originally Posted by WhatTheHeck View Post
    In regards to your friend's wife, if I recall correctly, in the old days they used to get insulin from pigs.
    Is it possible to bring back that technology?
    When my wife had her thyroid removed, they put her on synthroid. Both her and her mother always felt "Fluish." So my wife's doctor did put her some form of thyroid replacement and it did come from an animal. And while that's good news overall, wouldn't some form of laboratory have to process the organ just like any other medication? It would be great if all I had to do was silently shoot a pig and remove his thyroid. But my guess is there are additional medicines needed to make it a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    When my wife had her thyroid removed, they put her on synthroid. Both her and her mother always felt "Fluish." So my wife's doctor did put her some form of thyroid replacement and it did come from an animal. And while that's good news overall, wouldn't some form of laboratory have to process the organ just like any other medication? It would be great if all I had to do was silently shoot a pig and remove his thyroid. But my guess is there are additional medicines needed to make it a replacement.
    Interesting.

I may have to look into it.

Note: I have a medical background. Not a Doctor mind you, but NOLS Wilderness EMT.

Quote Originally Posted by okey View Post
    other than (maybe) airsoft, .177 pellets and silenced .22's. The noise will call in your killers,and ammo is going to be too precious. Therefore, a 35 lb, 5000 rd case of .22lr is going to last for decades, nearly all used as barter material, most likely.

There will be no game left after a couple of months of shtf. Starving people, dogs, and cats will see to that. Then people will eat the dogs and cats, all the fish and known-edible wild plants and start eating each other. Only at most 1% of our population can be supported by foraging and at most 10% by subsistence gardening. Nearly all the seeds are hybid, there's not nearly enough of the non-hybrids to grow any more food than that. Gardens will be raided, farmers will be shot trying to grow things. The only rational thing will be to have at least 6 month's worth of food buried, and stay in a hole during daylight hours for that long. Then maybe you can get away with doing some sprouting, maybe some root veggies, cause over 3/4 of the population will be dead at that point.
    No need to practice post SHTF, there will be enough real time engagements to last for many many years after SHTF.

Quote Originally Posted by 6811 View Post
    No need to practice post SHTF, there will be enough real time engagements to last for many many years after SHTF.
    Exactly what I said earlier in this thread ,sheesh think about it ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links