Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

What Was Your Prep Of The Day (Part 2)

327K views 3K replies 217 participants last post by  Jerry Fisk 
#1 ·
#2,493 · (Edited)
Upgraded the dashcam in my daily driver today.

Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Mirror Azure Sky

Went from an old-school 1080p that had to be reprogrammed every time I turned it on just to set the date & clock (I just gave up on that and every time it started it recorded the date was Jan 2, 2000). The only way to preserve the date/time setting was to leave it powered up and that drains the battery overnight. It was from back when 1080p was just coming out, knocking 720p off the throne.

4k now rules, and that's what this one does. Also records GPS coordinates and speed right on the video file. Since I got the version with GPS, I never have to worry about setting the date and time... it's automatic. All I need to set my time zone.

Accepts 256g micro SD card. That should give me about 3½ hours of recording based on my old rig using a 32g card. Time will tell. {Update: 256g garners me 13½ hours} It has a shock sensor, so if it's triggered it automatically locks the current file out so it can't be overwritten.

I intentionally tucked it up behind the mirror to reduce the obstruction of my view, Yet it's still where the passenger wiper blade will keep it cleared.

It can also do an ad-hoc wifi to any my devices, but viewing a 4k video creates lots of lagging issues. I'll just pull the card and use a reader directly into whatever device I want to view it with.

If you don't have a dashcam........ GET ONE! FOR EVERY VEHICLE YOU DRIVE!!!

#2,494 ·
What kinda dessicants? This stuff should work great to fill up the cotton tubes. Should be infinitely reuseable.

#2,495 ·
March being the month where I do my annual checkups on my GHBs and BOB, I started with all my electronics. All tablets and my phone get synched with all necessary files. BOB tablet is turned on, update all apps and files and charged. I haven't turned it on since March 2021, and it was still at 77%. Battery banks are charging. Flashlight batteries are charging.

#2,499 ·
Gun show score: 6 boxes of Hornady .308... the preferred diet for my scout rifle.

Packing materials Font Material property Rectangle Package delivery

Haven't seen any for over 2 years now, and it was $28 back then. So $30 today is a steal.

#2,502 ·
Filled 4 gas cans yesterday with 91/no ethanol. Since we moved out of town, we burn a lot more gas in the summer time mowing than I was used to. An extra 4 cans in the rotation should help.

Also, I finally assembled/bought a hose to fill my own propane tanks. I had no idea that all the propane suppliers were so touchy on that these days. It just seems ridiculous to pay more than twice the rate to bring the bottles in, when I already contract it. So I filled two empty 20lb bottles and have 2 100lb ones that still need filled before my contract for the winter is up. Typically summer prices are better, but I'm not sure I trust that this summer will work out that way.

Lastly, I got over a hurdle with our local power company and got approved for our solar connection.

#2,512 ·
Filled 4 gas cans yesterday with 91/no ethanol. Since we moved out of town, we burn a lot more gas in the summer time mowing than I was used to. An extra 4 cans in the rotation should help.

Also, I finally assembled/bought a hose to fill my own propane tanks. I had no idea that all the propane suppliers were so touchy on that these days. It just seems ridiculous to pay more than twice the rate to bring the bottles in, when I already contract it. So I filled two empty 20lb bottles and have 2 100lb ones that still need filled before my contract for the winter is up. Typically summer prices are better, but I'm not sure I trust that this summer will work out that way.

Lastly, I got over a hurdle with our local power company and got approved for our solar connection.
Touchy subject here too, currently costing $18/20lb tank only upside is the fill till it pukes liquid out the bleed. I asked about 100's back in January and it was $101 to fill or $15.07 for a 20.... yeah i stuck with 20's lol (all prices are CAD taxes included)

As for todays Preps, it was to rearrange spaces to make it more organized leaving some room for expansion of each allotment.

#2,510 ·
Took advantage of a wonderful sunny morning and drove to the scrap yard with my copper.

Photograph Font Finger Line Material property

108 pounds, $3.90 per for #1 bright copper. Woo hoo! More cash for the stash!

#2,514 ·
Another 25lb bag of beans is being added to the stockpile shortly.
Seem to have misplaced my fancy dedicated mylar heat sealer (aka, wife's old hair straightener), so permanent storage will have to wait until I can find or replace that... but soon™.

#2,518 ·
Packed up a bag of long grain white rice last night I'd been meaning to get to.
Still have 25lbs of flour to pack away, but need to cut down my large mylar bags into smaller ones to split it into smaller portions.
I discovered that my O2 absorbers were kaput, even though the indicator in the bag with them was still showing they were good. (if you feel small rock-like chunks in your absorbers, that's a sign they could be done for, they should be loose and powdery, and heat up a bit when exposed to air for 5 min)
Luckily, I had some hand warmers left over from the winter months...(more like winter weeks), and used those instead. Worked a treat, as expected.
Achieved an acceptable amount of shrinkage. (the good kind)
They're little bricks now.
Brown Wood Food Amber Font

#2,519 ·
Local market has certain canned goods on sale (20c off per can) so added more to my stash. Am at the point where I need to acquire another shelving unit to keep things organized. Tomorrow.

This isn't a prepper thing exactly, but since I moved here a few years ago, I haven't been happy with the sauerkraut at the few local markets. A few months ago I bought some at Dollar General, their store brand, and opened a can of it last week. It is exactly how I think kraut should taste! So I stopped by there and picked up six more cans of it, which was coincidental because the local market had smoked sausage on sale! Woo Hoo! If I could have reached the back of that top shelf, I would have taken the other four cans they had, too.

Good sauerkraut -- it's the little things that count.