Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

What Was Your Prep Of The Day (Part 2)

326K views 3K replies 217 participants last post by  Back Pack Hack 
#1 ·
#2,093 ·
I went and looked at a friends new toy, a mobile solar generator system.

Panels, inverters, 2 forklift batteries, 11k back up gen, on a 17 ft trailer, all bought at a bankruptcy auction. His 2 neighbors had bought one also.

The banker says yes, I just want to make sure I can fit it to our situation

#2,101 ·
Three projects crossed off my (seemingly endless) list of dumb shit I gotta do.

First, I programmed my RadiGo and all my HTs identical. Not difficult, just time-consuming. Second, I made sure I had the same files for all the radios on both my desktop and my laptop.

Task two: Make sure both machines can program all the radios. I found out I hadn't updated the driver for the programming cord to the mobile radio on the laptop. So I just let the computer search the innernets for it and install it. It took a while to determine which COM port the cable was plugged in to, but once I found out it was 3 for the HTs and 4 for the mobile, I put a sticker on the bottom of the laptop with said information.

On to job 3: My dehydrator / vac-seal station. It's on a sink base cabinet set in the corner of the breakfast nook. While topside is all set up, the innards of the cabinet itself was a mess. Crap I no longer needed or even knew was in there. Like my 2003 tax returns. So that got all cleaned out, crap tossed, some stuff being donated to local charity, and all the rolls of vacseal bags, mylar bags, plastic sammich bags etc went into plastic Dollar-Store shoe boxes. My impulse sealers also got moved off the counter as well.

It's lunchtime now!

#2,103 ·
Prepared for the 12-18 inches of snow coming with associated high winds.

Moved in an extra 100 pounder of propane just in case for the genset.

Turned both Jeeps around facing direction of travel, both tanks are full and GHB'S are in them.

Fired up one chainsaw, made sure it was ready in case of need.

I also brought in some food goods from the second refrigerator,

that I might make over the next 2 or three days of the storm, avoiding having to go out in the storm for them.

I work from two refrigerators and two deep freezers, one each is in the house and the others in the shop.

#2,105 ·
...sort of prepping related

My wife discovered a leak under a sink in a rarely used guest bathroom this morning. It wiped out (pun intended) a large family pack of TP. It was just our everyday TP, not the TP we have stored in our preps. It motivated me to check on all the items we have stored in out of the way places to make sure they're okay and aren't stored in a place where a leaky pipe or a roof leak could damage them. We keep a lot of paper goods in the attic, I'm going to put it all in garbage bags just in case.

#2,106 ·
Updating the water pipes under the house. Today I ran new PEX hot water lines so water hot water showers and kitchen sink are faster to get hot. In a few days I'll dive back in and clean up some of the cold water lines so that water doesn't zig zag around nearly so much since the water now comes in from a newer well from the opposite end of the house with old valves that want to leak that used to feed the chicken coops which no longer exist, horse barn, little barn, and shop. I will still maintain the ability to pull water from the old well.

40 years of additions, water heater in a different location, water now comes in from the N side of the house when before it came in the S side and made the plumbing under the house a mess with long waits for hot water and a lot of zig zag PVC, CPCV, Copper, Iron pipes along with older valves that want to leak,,, just a mess.

#2,107 ·
I have been adding to my food storage. Dry goods and especially canned goods. I don't like what I am seeing and want plenty of food. I wish I could say I have been adding ammo, but we all know what that's like. I am comfortable with my ammo storage. I think food supply and the supply chain in general may be the bigger issue in the coming months.

Reactions: SOCOM42
#2,108 ·
I stocked up heavy on canned foods yesterday, especially canned meats. It was the first time in the last year that the store was fully stocked and I could get more than one or two cans of stuff. Must have been the freezing cold weather followed by the Nor'easter that kept people out of the stores.

#2,109 ·
Started out with cutting 3 heads of Cabbage to make sauerkraut. The last batch wasn't very good in my opinion (my wife likes it) so I left the onions out this time but added 2oz of vinegar and a bit more Caraway. We'll see how it comes out in a month.

Superbowl tomorrow so I made 2 quarts of salsa, Canned most of it and this batch really came out yummy so we're all set for tomorrow. I rarely watch sports and generally avoid the NFL since Colin Kirkpatrick with them "taking a knee" but I do try to catch the superbowl.

#2,117 ·
I found an odd knife in my local purchases. It's a nice little folder, but with a very cheap, plastic handle. The oddball part is that the blade is made from premium VG-10 alloy, even carries a stamp. The ricasso shows the name of "A.G. Russell," a guy who beleaguered his fishing buddies with constant chatter about the knives he was thinking of making. After I finished the polishing, I checked the edge. Just with a little touch of polish, it sliced better than a Number 10 scalpel. Only in America!

#2,120 ·
My major prep for today . . . went into the kitchen and got Mom's old recipe out for lemon meringue pie.

It's in the oven now.

While the crust was baking . . . thought about emailing everyone a piece . . . but don't have all your addresses . . . didn't want anyone to feel left out . . . so I guess I'll just have to eat it myself.

My son does not like it . . . wife is take it or leave it . . . daughter in law is allergic to some of the ingredients . . . so it's just me . . . the quad . . . coffee . . . and pie.

Glad I prepped and got the quad.

May God bless,
Dwight

#2,121 ·
My major prep for today . . . went into the kitchen and got Mom's old recipe out for lemon meringue pie.

It's in the oven now.

While the crust was baking . . . thought about emailing everyone a piece . . . but don't have all your addresses . . . didn't want anyone to feel left out . . . so I guess I'll just have to eat it myself.

That's OK... just post a photo of it here. You know.... for drooling purposes.

#2,123 ·
Down in the gun room last night inventorying magazines to make sure I felt comfortable with my supply.

I'm good, but I might buy some more anyway. :vs_laugh:

I'm not a fan of 30 round AR mags so I won't buy any more, but 20 round mags are on the list.
After I typed this post, I got to thinking that I really shouldn't delay buying magazines much longer so I went to Brownells.com and bought 4 more 20 round mags. They have their own brand aluminum 20 and 30 round mags at a good price and they are in stock.

#2,126 ·
Doing some laundry this morning, and the dryer started screaming at me. I shut it off, turned off the power, and grabbed the hand tools. The drum slipped off a loosened roller. Got it all put back together, and when testing it, I was reminded of an annoying rattle I've been hearing for years. Always sounded like something like a key or coin loose in the drum, but I could never find anything. So while I had it disassembled, I started to track it down. I found the culprit inside one of the three 'fins' that are attached to the inside of the drum used to tumble the clothes.

Here's what it looks like after spending who-knows-how-many years rattling around inside that hollow fin.

Brown Font Gas Circle Metal