Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

What Was Your Prep Of The Day (Part 2)

326K views 3K replies 217 participants last post by  Back Pack Hack 
#1 ·
#1,446 ·
Just finished up my snow plow install on the F350. Took a year to find a used plow to fit a 97 F350 in usable condition.

The ole Bronco is taking a sigh of relief as she's done with your plowing chores. Yea I know it's July 4th but a man got to be prepared. Snow and winter is just around the corner.

#1,450 ·
I looked for that kit, none around here though.

It is possible they are not allowed in the state like some other stuff that has not been tested and extortion paid.

There is always someone on the web who will sell them here, like the Kerosun heaters I bought 25 years ago.

As a matter of fact the Mr Heater Big Buddy's' I bought are not state approved either.

I don't use very much of the small canisters, perhaps one a year, unless I need the torch in place of the MAPP torch.

I have a single burner stove and two lantern that use the one pounders.

With the ones I inherited I now have about 100 of the disposable ones.

I don't go camping anymore, when I did I used a Coleman 2 burner gasoline stove.

When I did AT with the guard, I used a single burner Coleman gasoline stove for making tea and heating the tent.

#1,457 · (Edited)
OK, why the tungsten rod? a new spring I can see.

Both of mine have captive flat springs on steel rods that were added, I don't even use them, don't care for them, but free was good.

Any gun in a firefight is better than no gun, prefer a DA/SA, at least a safety, I be old school.

Not only did I put captive springs in them. I also replaced the barrels with SS Lone Wolf barrels and added night sights.

Also procured 10 mags for each one, they are put away.

#1,458 ·
I recently bought a longbow. It's been 40 years since I last bowhunted so I am excited to get back into it. My wife and kids are getting into archery now also. It's a great family activity. I very much doubt I'll ever run out of ammo, but I never expected a pandemic and anarchy this year either.
i could not hit a barn from the inside with one, Lord knows I tried.

Now, a man at 1k with a rifle and a 180gr. BT is a different story.

#1,454 · (Edited)
Used to love archery. Even had hay bales in yard to shoot at. Think I told this story already but back in the old hypo days I was stationed at Corpus. The city cops didnt have a place to shoot their guns so the local bow hunting club had a nice chunk of land where they pretended to hunt lions and tigers etc. and let the cops set up a pistol range. Well the bow hunters challenged the cops or vice versa..to a shooting contest at `25 yards..bows against the cops pistols. The bow hunters won. lol.

#1,455 ·
Went shooting today and practiced up to 50 yards with 9mm and AR-15 .223.

Focused on improving success with targets during rapid fire...Since my Adrenalin will be pumping if I am in a situation I figured it’s wise to do this.

#1,456 ·
Picked up a really nice rust free 94 F150 to add to the fleet. Must have been the ole guys baby cause of the way it was maintained. Maybe I don't need 6 vehicles but only have maybe 15k into the whole bunch. Sure beats spending $40-$70k on one rig. That I can't work on or fix.

Attachments

#1,461 ·
Yesterdays preps

Yesterdays preps was vaccum sealing and freezing these garden veggies. I have already harvested some so far this summer for fresh eating, but these are the first for winter storage. The garden is really starting to produce now so canning/freezing season is officially underway.

Also; thanks to all you folks that explained to this dumb old dinosaur how to properly orient my pictures!

Attachments

#1,464 ·
The Happy White, Blue and Red truck left a box in the mail.

I've decided to go back in time. Literally. Gonna retire my trusty-rusty-dusty 18-YO Casio G-Shock and go back to a basic, simple mechanical watch. Ordered an Orient RA-AA0C04B19A watch last week and it arrived this morning.

I wanted to get back to a watch with the following features:

Mechanical. Not electronic, digital or quartz. Bascially, EMP/GRB/CME 'proof'.
Simple face. 12 digits, 3 hands. No other dials or indicators. No need for a 24-hour dial, a thermometer, a stop watch, a timer, 6 other time zones.
Hand-wound.
No dive dial. Amazing how many 'sport' watches have dive dials despite the fact that very few people actually need one. Stupid, if you ask me. Especially in 100-meter WR ratings or less.
Lumened dial and hands for night visibility.
Water Resistant to 50 meters. 100 meters better, but 50 meters minimum.
Hackable.
Budget-friendly. I don't want a $5000 watch. I got other ways to spend that kind of scratch.

Some 'extra' features that would be nice to have, but not required:
Date
Day
Automatic

Which led me on a long search for a basic watch that would meet this requirements. I finally dropped the dime (well, technically, 1750 of 'em) and ordered it last week. After a long and convoluted odyssey courtesy of some neanderthal at the post office, I now have my new EDC watch.

Watch Analog watch Light Clock Watch accessory

I cut my teeth wearing a similar watch, but it was an ĂĽber-cheap no-name job, which was fine for a kid. I graduated to quartz watches in the mid-70s when they became all the rage. And lately, I've not worn a watch what with cell phones and all. I still wore the Casio when I wanted/needed a watch, but it was mostly for work.

But as of today, I'll be tagged with this beauty all day, every day.

#1,470 ·
The Happy White, Blue and Red truck left a box in the mail.

I've decided to go back in time. Literally. Gonna retire my trusty-rusty-dusty 18-YO Casio G-Shock and go back to a basic, simple mechanical watch. Ordered an Orient RA-AA0C04B19A watch last week and it arrived this morning.

I wanted to get back to a watch with the following features:

Mechanical. Not electronic, digital or quartz. Bascially, EMP/GRB/CME 'proof'.
Simple face. 12 digits, 3 hands. No other dials or indicators. No need for a 24-hour dial, a thermometer, a stop watch, a timer, 6 other time zones.
Hand-wound.
No dive dial. Amazing how many 'sport' watches have dive dials despite the fact that very few people actually need one. Stupid, if you ask me. Especially in 100-meter WR ratings or less.
Lumened dial and hands for night visibility.
Water Resistant to 50 meters. 100 meters better, but 50 meters minimum.
Hackable.
Budget-friendly. I don't want a $5000 watch. I got other ways to spend that kind of scratch.

Some 'extra' features that would be nice to have, but not required:
Date
Day
Automatic

Which led me on a long search for a basic watch that would meet this requirements. I finally dropped the dime (well, technically, 1750 of 'em) and ordered it last week. After a long and convoluted odyssey courtesy of some neanderthal at the post office, I now have my new EDC watch.

View attachment 107309

I cut my teeth wearing a similar watch, but it was an ĂĽber-cheap no-name job, which was fine for a kid. I graduated to quartz watches in the mid-70s when they became all the rage. And lately, I've not worn a watch what with cell phones and all. I still wore the Casio when I wanted/needed a watch, but it was mostly for work.

But as of today, I'll be tagged with this beauty all day, every day.

I have a pocket watch that meets the EMP-proof criteria.

#1,467 ·
Another 50lb bag of flour and 10lb bag of rice. tomorrow we'll haul a collection of #10 cans home from Costco. Corn, green beans, chickpeas, tomato sauce, peaches.....Yeast, sugar, maybe some canned meats. We'll see what the old budget allows, because Christmas will be here in another 6 months. Time to start putting some money aside for that. If I don't I'll be sorry.

#1,473 ·
Finished reading One Second After last night. Interesting read, but it fell far short of what I was expecting. Yeah, it's fiction and is solidly based on a very-plausible 'what if' scenario, but didn't go into as much detail as I anticipated. Stephen King's The Stand, while not an EOTWAWKI book, delves much further and deeper into the storyline... developing it and the characters much better.

#1,483 · (Edited)
Call this several weeks worth of preps.
I've never been a huge gun buyer, never even held a Glock until today. Not a huge shooter either shooting about 3000 rounds of pistol practice a year (shooting range at the house). But today a gunsmith who I trust strongly suggested that I needed a Glock if I wanted a super reliable full sized pistol; so after leaving his place I went to a gun store he suggested. Really friendly people there who let me hold 10-15 pistols comparing grip and trigger. The Glock triggers sucked, I'm really into a good trigger. Currently my only high capacity full sized auto is a Walther PPQ M1 in .40 but I was considering swapping to a 9mm for the higher mag capacity.

I finally went with one of the more expensive choices, a HK VP40 because the trigger was decent and it fit my hand well. They had 4 but I chose one without the night sights because I like to add a bit of bright red paint (fingernail polish) to my front sight.
Ran 150 rounds through the new HK 40 using 3 types of ammo with no problems. Slightly adjusted the sights to work better for me but shooting tight groups.

Since I had a problem with my old Walther PPQ using U-Tube videos I completely dissembled the upper and gave everything a good cleaning. Knowledge that may be needed if there is no gunsmith during SHTF.

I have the ability to reload quite a bit of rifle ammo using a single position press. Generally I just load the larger rifle calibers to save a bit of cash but wanted to play with reloading .556 with my boy doing quite a bit of AR plinking. So a few years ago I tried an inexpensive Lee progressive press but after fighting through a few hundred rounds of .556 gave up trying to get the Lee press to produce consistent ammo so I returned it.
During that time I found a good deal on pulled SS 109 bullets and still have quite a few still waiting to be loaded so I ordered a Hornady press with shell plates to load all those SS-109s I've been sitting on.
Give me a while and I'll report on how well the Hornady Lock and Load press works.

Not a prep of the day but I've found that magnetic pistol mounts are a great way to stash a pistol under a table or cabinet.

#1,486 ·
Had a huge downpour last week, and it found a small leak in the roof. Didn't flood the house, but had about half a cup of water work it's way through the ceiling. Located the issue the next day and slapped some tar on it. There's an original-to-the-roof vent that was poorly installed.

Yesterday I stopped at the home center and bought a new vent. Nice cool morning today so up on the roof I went.

So this fluster-cluck:

Automotive tire Rectangle Road surface Wood Automotive design

became this work of art:

Rectangle Road surface Flooring Floor Grey

Supposed to rain again tomorrow, so it will get tested.

#1,491 ·
The coating wasn't the issue. Once I got done and was cleaning up, I found a crack in the original vent. It was covered up by both the shingles and the upper cap of the vent. I suppose I could have seen it if I looked close enough, but slopping on a bit of roof cement would have only been a temporary solution at best. it would still need replacing.

Automotive tire Tire Hood Wood Asphalt

The shingles were replaced simply because it was easier to destroy some of the existing ones that to try to salvage them.