Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

What Was Your Prep Of The Day (Part 2)

327K views 3K replies 217 participants last post by  Jerry Fisk 
#1 ·
#928 ·
My prep of the day was getting a box of 32 S&W to go with the revolvers I just restored.

Working a a bigger project, putting together an M-1 Garand to add to the collection.

Received the digital controllers for in house air circulation control, will incorporate at a later date.

#939 ·
Does a prep of the night count?

Set up my completed SASS on the deck last night. Took about 30 minutes to pitch the tent, inflate the air pad, roll out the sleeping bag, heat up some water for a hot water bottle and get snuggled in.

View attachment 103381

Stuffed my work coat in the sleeping bags' stuff sack for a pillow. Wore just a ski mask and socks. Figured I'd add layers as needed, but never did. Dozed off around 10:30. Woke up at 1:45 for a bio-break, and again at 5:30. My shoulders were cold because the bag doesn't have a draw-string, so I used my flannel shirt as an ad-hoc blanket. But still slept better than I anticipated.

Was supposed to get down into the upper 20s.

View attachment 103383

#943 ·
View attachment 103431

First of the month habits:

Discharge all of the E-lectronic gizmos (flashlights, headphones, phones, etc.). Recharge gizmos &c. with battery packs, thereby discharging battery packs. Recharge battery packs with power stations (or small solar panel), thereby discharging power stations. Recharge power stations with solar larger panel weather permitting (or plug into outlet).

Next up-- run generator for 15 minutes or so. It is getting on tornado season.

View attachment 103433

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/wcm/permonth_by_state/

#959 ·
Last couple of days have been interesting. #1 I paid off my car and a personal loan. #2 I applied some paint to the front sight of my EAA Windicator for better visibility. #3 I got tired of seeing an empty pantry (single guy living on take out and delivery) so I stocked up on canned goods and non perishables #4 Bought some bulk 5.56 and 9mm +p

Tomorrow I will be picking up some bulk freeze dried food.

#960 ·
Been finalizing the last additions to my new GHBs. Got everything purchased, and have been organizing the bags. Found out the straps for the hip belts are far too short if I need to don it wearing thick, heavy winter duds. So I stopped by a crafts store this morning and picked up 3 yards of belting, cut the factory strap off and sewed on a custom extension. Once I get everything organized, my GHBs will be complete.

#961 · (Edited)
Masks.

I got some but they're not those "cup" kind.

They're all sold out at Home Depot! They'll be out for quite a while - apparently people were buying and sending them to China.
Also sold out in Ottawa (according to a friend). He ended up ordering from internet.

I got lucky and found some masks (for sanding/painting), at a hardware store that's struggling for customers (low traffic).

Worst comes to worst - for those who don't have any, and can't find any - diy using doubled/tripled JC cloths? Scarves? Old t-shirts?

#962 ·
Worst comes to worst - for those who don't have any, and can't find any - diy using doubled/tripled JC cloths? Scarves? Old t-shirts?
Q for the epidemiologists out there. What exactly is a mask a barrier to? Seems worth knowing as all masks are not created equal. They are filters, and as such have some dimensionality to them-- like there's a size limit to what gets through and what doesn't. (no doubt a surgical mask is far less porous than a homemade flour cloth dish towel mask.) So is the mask a barrier to the actual virus particles (seems unlikely) or to spittle that folks are coughing and sneezing up that carry the virus.

#966 · (Edited)
N95 respirator masks is what seems to be favored by hospitals.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend that medical employees working with coronavirus patients wear N95s, specifically.

"N95 masks are specialized respirator masks that are meant for specific conditions," Madaline told Business Insider. "These are for infections where you have very teeny tiny particles that would not be captured via regular surgical mask."

The problem with that is, according to medical experts, the public neither has the need for specialized protective gear like N95s, nor the ability to use it effectively.
For the untrained, it's not as simple as slapping on a N95 mask. Madaline said that such a mask must be "fit-tested," meaning fitted to a person's face and secured by a trained individual, to ensure that "no particles are getting through."
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/he...ould-endanger-healthcare-providers/ar-BBZMVzH

#968 · (Edited)
I would have thought that those Chinese at their market would have worn them which is common for them.

But no one was seen by us, will stay out of there, and leave the frogs and bats alone for a few weeks:vs_smirk:,

oh yes they are there along with other stuff I can't identify, there squid and octopus also, and seaweed???

#971 · (Edited)
Added to article on Hardening a Suburban Brick Home:

If we place 2 X 6s across the bottoms of window panes;

and possibly using our tractor to dig out the 4 foot space just outside of the window, lowering the ground;

Intruders cannot/will not shoot low in that room.

This creates a safe space for occupants. They can lay next to the outside brick wall. Intruders firing from the opposite side of the house will also be shooting high. Therefore, simply by lowering the window bar you will have also created plenty of safe spaces.

#972 ·
Pretty quiet around here lately, but we've put up a couple more cameras around the house in very obscure locations and a couple of dummy cameras as decoys. (a few years ago we actually had a real camera catch a "visitor" spray painting the lens of a dummy decoy... kinda funny actually).

Also added another 10 boxes of Mountain House meals (6 pouches per box) to the weekday home stockpile. We'll sometimes have these for a quick breakfast or lunch... they're actually very good. We try to keep about 180 days worth for the two of us on hand here.

No new purchases in the "OMG Pandemic" category - already have enough of that stuff around.

#973 ·
Update on my sourdough starter.

It smells amazing. So much better than my last try. I made pancakes today with the starter I would otherwise have discarded and they were good, but not much sourdough taste. I think it will be ready for me to try making bread with it by next weekend, so realistically, I won't be able to try it until the following Monday.

Also, I ordered some mylar bags today that are supposed to work with my FoodSaver. I'll report back after I've had a chance to try them.

#974 ·
Going to get some range time in tomorrow. My owner has been driving me nuts so I need to blow some holes in something. I am rotating a couple of 55 gallon water containers this weekend as well. I want to double check my heavy mill plastic and duct tape storage also. I want to make sure I have more then enough should I need to seal the house or create a clean room.

#980 ·
Scored this lot of tools tonight for $150

Few good heavy duty chains in the bucket and 2 craftsman tool bags huge assortment some good brand name stuff and quality vintage stuff.
My neighbors Dad past a few years ago and he came over to ask me if I wanted to look at some tools

Most of this stuff was in boxes didn't even get to look and he said $100 I told him that was to low and gave him $150 and if I sell off something I don't want or need that I would give him the money cause I didn't want to profit from it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk