What Was Your Prep Of The Day (Part 2) - Page 60
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

What Was Your Prep Of The Day (Part 2)

This is a discussion on What Was Your Prep Of The Day (Part 2) within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Those stone wheels were used by a company called John J. Adams in Worcester Ma. The company made cutting dies for leather, plastic, cloth and ...

Page 60 of 61 FirstFirst ... 10 50 58 59 60 61 LastLast
Like Tree679Likes

Thread: What Was Your Prep Of The Day (Part 2)

Those stone wheels were used by a company called John J. Adams in Worcester Ma.

The company made cutting dies for leather, plastic, cloth and rotary machine cut envelopes.

Adams was started somewhere in the 1850's and closed around 10 years ago due to chinko competition,

and a drug habit by the last remaining Adams, John J. the IIII'th, O/D a few years later, went through a fortune.

The stones were about six feet in diameter with a 6 inch square hole in the center and 12 inches wide.

Adams' had a huge supply they bought when the mfg was closing, They were stored outside upright.

They were picked up and brought in to the machine by a 100 ton gantry crane.

If laid on side they could crack in half.

Somewhere around 1955 they ran out of them,

before they did they got two brothers in New Hampshire to start making them for Adams'.

I was just a little kid when I toured the shop with my father who was plant superintendent, and I saw the wheels in action.

It was like a tropical storm in the grinding room where two machines used them.

During the 1970's Norton Company in Worcester tried to make a comparable stone, came close, but never got there,

an engineer friend of mine worked on the project for years.

Well the brothers retired, and Adams had to use the Norton creation until they closed.

My father worked there for 56 years, retired when the drug addicted owner started going off the shelf.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 08-28-2019 at 10:16 AM.
    hawgrider, Annie, Slippy and 2 others like this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    Those stone wheels were used by a company called John J. Adams in Worcester Ma.

The company made cutting dies for leather, plastic, cloth and rotary machine cut envelopes.

Adams was started somewhere in the 1850's and closed around 10 years ago due to chinko competition,

and a drug habit by the last remaining Adams, John J. the IIII'th, O/D a few years later, went through a fortune.

The stones were about six feet in diameter with a 6 inch square hole in the center and 12 inches wide.

Adams' had a huge supply they bought when the mfg was closing, They were stored outside upright.

They were picked up and brought in to the machine by a 100 ton gantry crane.

If laid on side they could crack in half.

Somewhere around 1955 they ran out of them,

before they did they got two brothers in New Hampshire to start making them for Adams'.

I was just a little kid when I toured the shop with my father who was plant superintendent, and I saw the wheels in action.

It was like a tropical storm in the grinding room where two machines used them.

During the 1970's Norton Company in Worcester tried to make a comparable stone, came close, but never got there,

an engineer friend of mine worked on the project for years.

Well the brothers retired, and Adams had to use the Norton creation until they closed.

My father worked there for 56 years, retired when the drug addicted owner started going off the shelf.
    Wow, Socom thanks for sharing.

Super Moderator

I'm making fire starter kits by putting dried up yard waste and debris into empty coffee cans. little sticks, then bigger sticks. Also some dryer lint and a box of matches in a sandwich bag in there. My goal is one year's worth of that plus the logs to go with it. ETA: big road trip today. Heading up to Vermont and back again. Not much time for doing the food storage I didn't get to yesterday. Maybe Friday.
    Last edited by Annie; 08-29-2019 at 05:54 AM.
    Robie likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Picked up about 30 pounds of "Kroger's minute rice" for stoage in Mylar bags. I have plenty of plain rice, but the price was right, and the "minute rice" is fast. I'll use it first.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Took "The Command Center *" out for another storm test. Last time was in mid-July, and it weathered 40-50 MPH winds and 2½" of rain in 30 minutes quite well. I did have a little bit of water make it past the rainfly, so I picked up three bottles of NixWax and treated it a few weeks ago.

Last night..... ½ in of rain overnight, plus 30 MPH winds. Held up like a champ. Not a drop under the fly this time

I even tried out my new lighting system.

What Was Your Prep Of The Day (Part 2)-command-center-tent-night.jpg

*aka Magellan Lakewood Lodge
    Annie, inceptor, phrogman and 1 others like this.
    It will be a great day when our schools have all the money they need, and politicians have to start selling candy bars and holding car washes to finance their campaigns.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    Took "The Command Center *" out for another storm test. Last time was in mid-July, and it weathered 40-50 MPH winds and 2½" of rain in 30 minutes quite well. I did have a little bit of water make it past the rainfly, so I picked up three bottles of NixWax and treated it a few weeks ago.

Last night..... ½ in of rain overnight, plus 30 MPH winds. Held up like a champ. Not a drop under the fly this time

I even tried out my new lighting system.

*aka Magellan Lakewood Lodge
    Sweet!
    "But in the end my Immaculate Heart will triumph"--OL Fatima

Worked on my first aid for real. Angle Grinder wheel flew apart while using it cut finger in two places deep and shredded some skin. Scrubbed it out best I could. Used compression to stop bleeding and hold wound close vs stitching it. So far doing good.
    Marica likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Topped off a 5 gal bucket of rice and refilled a propane tank.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

South of the Red River and North of the Rio Grande
    Ok.. more of a question. I’m repacking my get home bag, general SHTF while i’m In the truck bag, and adjusting a few things. One of them is TP. I keep a roll in there but damn it takes up space, although not much weight. Has anyone used or have experience with the TP pellets? I read where just a quick soak in water and voila, instant TP at a fraction of the size.

Btw, my bag allow me 3-4 days on the road to get back home. Food, clothing, shelter, etc etc.
    Robie and inceptor like this.
    "Erosion of our rights just takes a few good men doing nothing"
    Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Piratesailor View Post
    Ok.. more of a question. I’m repacking my get home bag, general SHTF while i’m In the truck bag, and adjusting a few things. One of them is TP. I keep a roll in there but damn it takes up space, although not much weight. Has anyone used or have experience with the TP pellets? I read where just a quick soak in water and voila, instant TP at a fraction of the size.

Btw, my bag allow me 3-4 days on the road to get back home. Food, clothing, shelter, etc etc.
    Yup. Bought a bag and dispersed them through the different gear bags.
    They are great. Even some spit will moisten them enough to unroll.
    Amazingly tough and tear resistant, even when wet.
    Democrats are doing more to destroy our country than the Russians could ever hope to do.

Page 60 of 61 FirstFirst ... 10 50 58 59 60 61 LastLast

Sponsored Links