What Was Your Prep Of The Day (Part 2) - Page 171
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

What Was Your Prep Of The Day (Part 2)

This is a discussion on What Was Your Prep Of The Day (Part 2) within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut I don't know how that would work or even how you'd be able to do it. You'd have to have the ...

Page 171 of 195 FirstFirst ... 71 121 161 169 170 171 172 173 181 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,710 of 1944
Like Tree780Likes

Thread: What Was Your Prep Of The Day (Part 2)

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut View Post
    I don't know how that would work or even how you'd be able to do it. You'd have to have the rings on in order to keep the flat lid in place and the wax may not penetrate the threads enough for a complete seal. Without the rings, you'd have to apply enough wax around the edges of both the jar & flat lid, plus a bit further as the jar is setting right side up and the wax would drip.

Sealing jelly/jams with wax, was to pour the hot wax right onto the top of the jelly to about 1/4 inch thick of wax, no lids needed....not sure if that would work on stuff with floaties, like veggies in water.

Doesn't Makers Mark have a cork, that the wax covers? Maybe if you used corks in your jars, it might work??? Canning lids sit on top of the jar rim vs corks set inside the rim.....but I don't know if that would make a difference.

I'd be too leery of doing myself, but you could always try it on a couple of jars to see if it would work.
    yes. I meant with the whole rings and lid on after submersion, if they didn't seal properly, wondering if dunking in wax would work.... but if sealing it this way, silicone caulk would work in theory too..
    -IN OMNIA PARATUS

As a dedicated old back to earth type person..I branched off form making my own Ginger Ale in addition to the grand prize winning rootever I do already. Very close to the same process. Sampled the first batch mostly based on this recipe combined by smartness from making a lot of root beer. The health benefits of Ginger are pretty amazing..or so they say. Got the wife on board to try it...In fact she started bossing me around on how to do it. That woman aint right.
    https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/23...n-ginger-beer/ bunch of other recipes out there and websites touting the virtues of Ginger. I also snuch a little xylitol in it to kill viruses.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK92775/
    Last edited by bigwheel; 10-03-2020 at 07:52 PM.

I wasn't thinking of asking permission from the bank, more like fencing and accessibility.........and why would you pay for something you could get for free????
    You mean trespass.
    Michael_Js likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Amazon just stopped by with a package.... the Bextek MRZ30aaHU 300 watt pure sinewave inverter I ordered last week arrived.

What Was Your Prep Of The Day (Part 2)-bestek-inverter.jpg

Will make a nice, portable unit for charging electronics while on the road.
    Joe likes this.
    Prepping is not a destination... it is a journey.
    Visit my YouTube page: Hidden Content

New York Finger Lakes. Where real New Yorkers live.
    A very good day. The wife and I picked three bushels of apples from the trees today. Applesauce is coming soon! Also, the Bills won again. 4-0 is a great way to start.
    bigwheel, paraquack and Joe like this.

New York Finger Lakes. Where real New Yorkers live.
    What Was Your Prep Of The Day (Part 2)-de1cfcad-96a9-4ced-b9e2-c300bcd28f20.jpeg
    Harvested the last of the peppers from the garden and vacuum sealed most of them. collect the squash and pick more apples tomorrow.
    Michael_Js and Joe like this.

loaded 8# of beans and 10# and some split peas into my repurposed 24oz mt dew bottles..

Brother is reading the seams on the fastball and bringing most of his goodies up here from Iowa when he comes up for pheasant opener. Doesn't want his reloading equipment laying around if he has to BO for election madness.
    Michael_Js likes this.
    -IN OMNIA PARATUS

Quote Originally Posted by ND_ponyexpress_ View Post
    yes. I meant with the whole rings and lid on after submersion, if they didn't seal properly, wondering if dunking in wax would work.... but if sealing it this way, silicone caulk would work in theory too..
    I don't know if that would be a good idea....silicone on or near your food??? Another possible issue with silicone or waxing the lids to the jars would be the air left inside the jar where bacterias can grow, thereby contaminating the food. You can try it with either silicone or wax, but you're on your own for liability on that one.

When old timers would wax their jams, the wax was poured directly on top of the jam, a thin layer at a time & done a few times to completely cover the jam, with no room for air pockets.
    Michael_Js likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    You mean trespass.
    Well you make it sound so illegal, when you put it that way........

I would think you'd get into more trouble with neighbors or the law, if someone was still living there...........if it's abandoned, and you're only there to pick the fruit from the trees and leaving the house & buildings alone, not vandalizing or destroying anything........I doubt anyone would care.
    Michael_Js and paulag1955 like this.

Well you make it sound so illegal, when you put it that way........

I would think you'd get into more trouble with neighbors or the law, if someone was still living there...........if it's abandoned, and you're only there to pick the fruit from the trees and leaving the house & buildings alone, not vandalizing or destroying anything........I doubt anyone would care.
    About 6 years ago the property next to mine went into foreclosure and remained vacant for 4 years. It was in very poor condition and the out-of-state bank (mortgage holder) refused to maintain the property and grounds. I did the mowing to semi-maintain the place so it didn’t get completely out of control. I also planted a garden on the grounds. Nobody ever said a word. All my neighbors were happy that I was mowing so nobody complained and the bank was out-of-state so I doubt if they ever even knew of my trespassing. Last year I bought the place so now it is mine. But if the orchard is vacant, I would help myself to the fruit........... but I’m an outlaw!

Page 171 of 195 FirstFirst ... 71 121 161 169 170 171 172 173 181 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links