What Was Your Prep Of The Day (Part 2) - Page 170
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

What Was Your Prep Of The Day (Part 2)

This is a discussion on What Was Your Prep Of The Day (Part 2) within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Green Lilly Be careful with those lids. I am in a canning group and lots of folks have bought lids off of ...

Page 170 of 195 FirstFirst ... 70 120 160 168 169 170 171 172 180 ... LastLast
Results 1,691 to 1,700 of 1947
Like Tree784Likes

Thread: What Was Your Prep Of The Day (Part 2)

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lilly View Post
    Be careful with those lids. I am in a canning group and lots of folks have bought lids off of Amazon recently and what is coming in is a bad knock off of the Ball lids. They are made in China and the boxes even look really similar to the Ball boxes but they are not. Had a few try canning with them anyways and the lids failed.

Also Newell Brands is the company that actually makes the Ball, Kerr and Bernardin supplies and they sent out a letter recently to their distributors that they were no longer shipping out new stock this year. They are working on manufacturing stock to start shipping in March 2021.
    quick canning question I have never really gotten the answer to. I know people seal jelly jars with wax. But I was wondering if it were possible to seal regular jars that don't seal with wax like dipping the whole top in wax (think a makers mark bottle).
    -IN OMNIA PARATUS

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut View Post
    Any chance you can get on the property for a free pick???
    Not sure who owns it now. I mean...a bank, probably, but I don't know which one. I could research it, but I'm not keen to pick apples myself.

Quote Originally Posted by ND_ponyexpress_ View Post
    quick canning question I have never really gotten the answer to. I know people seal jelly jars with wax. But I was wondering if it were possible to seal regular jars that don't seal with wax like dipping the whole top in wax (think a makers mark bottle).
    If memory serves, sealing with wax isn't a long-term storage method. Good for 2-3 months, but not past that.
    Prepping is not a destination... it is a journey.
    Visit my YouTube page: Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

South of the Red River and North of the Rio Grande
    Stocked up on some dry goods lately and reviewed preps for the next 6 months. We stocked up since we have adult kids that can’t see past their noses. I also helped my brother and sister with their preps.
    Michael_Js and Pobilly Duke like this.
    "Erosion of our rights just takes a few good men doing nothing"
    Who is John Galt?

Dehydrated garden peppers: cayenne, jalapeno, and Big Jim - many more to come!
    Sliced and froze over a dozen zucchini - still more in the garden.
    Mowed lawns - hoping for the last one...

Getting ready to pick, dehydrate, and can (in oil), all my eggplants - Yum!!

Also need to prep to pick, husk, blanch, and freeze the corn crop.

Building up the compost pile from the garden (and chicken coop) - I shred it all first, then put it in the first of 3 bins...

Today, grocery shopping and new pairs of muck boots for both of us - they sure don't last long! However, we buy cheap ones...

Peace,
    Michael J.
    Last edited by Michael_Js; 10-03-2020 at 11:03 AM.
    JustAnotherNut likes this.

Last week I posted in here about rolling foodouts,

saw another perfect example of it over the last few days that makes me strongly believe that is what is happening.

At the BJ's club yesterday there was no TP at all, no brands, rice was at a minimum, half a pallet.

Some DelMonte canned peas were there, they were gone for a month or two, no green beans were there, none for last 6 months.

Canned hams went in Feb. have not returned, Random corned beef and Spam have shown up and gone within the week I visit the club.

There are other food items that show every so often but never on the shelves long.

Is there a shortage or is everyone still hoarding it or both????

I go online to buy gun parts for fighting rifles, everyplace is sold out of top grade stuff.

The sellers are raping people on ammo sales, I cannot believe the prices they are charging.

Looked at reflector sights, all the better ones were sold out.

A STORM IS COMING AND I AM AFRAID IT WILL BE SOON.

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    Last week I posted in here about rolling foodouts,
    saw another perfect example of it over the last few days that makes me strongly believe that is what is happening.
    At the BJ's club yesterday there was no TP at all, no brands, rice was at a minimum, half a pallet.
    Some DelMonte canned peas were there, they were gone for a month or two, no green beans were there, none for last 6 months.
    Canned hams went in Feb. have not returned, Random corned beef and Spam have shown up and gone within the week I visit the club.
    There are other food items that show every so often but never on the shelves long.
    Is there a shortage or is everyone still hoarding it or both????
    I go online to buy gun parts for fighting rifles, everyplace is sold out of top grade stuff.
    The sellers are raping people on ammo sales, I cannot believe the prices they are charging.
    Looked at reflector sights, all the better ones were sold out.
    A STORM IS COMING AND I AM AFRAID IT WILL BE SOON.
    I've been seeing shortages again down here be me. We had about a month where things were pretty good,
    not back to normal, tho. Now the last two weekly shopping trips have been pretty iffy. After Wednesday's
    trip, I made the pilgrimage to a few other named stores to see what I could find. Not that great a selection
    to be found. Picked up what I could find and even tho I didn't go hog wild, only grabbed 3 of the things I
    needed, the clerk at the register have me dirty looks like I was doing something wrong. The one thing that
    surprised me was the shortage on meaty soups. I prefer Progresso due to the size, just right for the 2 of us,
    but had to settle Cambells. I haven't seen Spam in months. Not sure if I'm just missing the day they
    restock or ??? Not worried about ammo, in fact I got 1250 rounds of .30 cal Carbine I want to sell off (sorry,
    only local people). Got a line on a LEO aquaintance who wants some.
    Michael_Js likes this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    Not sure who owns it now. I mean...a bank, probably, but I don't know which one. I could research it, but I'm not keen to pick apples myself.
    I wasn't thinking of asking permission from the bank, more like fencing and accessibility.........and why would you pay for something you could get for free????
    Michael_Js likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ND_ponyexpress_ View Post
    I don't know how that would work or even how you'd be able to do it. You'd have to have the rings on in order to keep the flat lid in place and the wax may not penetrate the threads enough for a complete seal. Without the rings, you'd have to apply enough wax around the edges of both the jar & flat lid, plus a bit further as the jar is setting right side up and the wax would drip.

Sealing jelly/jams with wax, was to pour the hot wax right onto the top of the jelly to about 1/4 inch thick of wax, no lids needed....not sure if that would work on stuff with floaties, like veggies in water.

Doesn't Makers Mark have a cork, that the wax covers? Maybe if you used corks in your jars, it might work??? Canning lids sit on top of the jar rim vs corks set inside the rim.....but I don't know if that would make a difference.

I'd be too leery of doing myself, but you could always try it on a couple of jars to see if it would work.
    Michael_Js likes this.

New York Finger Lakes. Where real New Yorkers live.
    Vacum sealed the last of the jalapeños from the garden today and stripped everything out of the beds. Tomorrow I plant some clover that hopefully has just enough time to get going before a real hard freeze comes. Also built a new handgun range backstop with railroad timbers that I acquired after talking to one of the crew working on the tracks up the road from me. Great guys, I gave them each a small bag of apples and they said to take whatever I want of the old timbers they were tearing out. Works well for me....
    Michael_Js likes this.

Page 170 of 195 FirstFirst ... 70 120 160 168 169 170 171 172 180 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links