What Was Your Prep Of The Day (Part 2) - Page 121
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

What Was Your Prep Of The Day (Part 2)

This is a discussion on What Was Your Prep Of The Day (Part 2) within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Kauboy With flour in short supply around here, we've been looking for alternatives that will allow us to keep our stored away ...

Page 121 of 127 FirstFirst ... 21 71 111 119 120 121 122 123 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,210 of 1264
Like Tree1340Likes

Thread: What Was Your Prep Of The Day (Part 2)

Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post
    With flour in short supply around here, we've been looking for alternatives that will allow us to keep our stored away wheat berries from being needed just yet. The wife found a post from someone who used a food processor to make flour from rolled oats. Makes sense to me. No need to "grind" when the kernel has already been cracked.
    So, I picked up some more "quick oats" in those tall cylinder containers.
    Figure we'll use the readily available stuff first, and move on to the stored away stuff after.
    What are you going to use it for? It's not a good substitute for wheat flour in baking.

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    What are you going to use it for? It's not a good substitute for wheat flour in baking.
    Full substitute, no, but filler, yes!
    From what I've read, oat flour has less gluten, so you only want to use 1/4 - 1/3 oat four in the recipe. That means I'd only be using 66% - 75% of my white flour. I'm sure there will be some experimenting involved.
    I have about 5 bags of white flour left, and this can extend that even farther.

If you have other baked good recipes that are good with oats, I'd like to try them.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Full substitute, no, but filler, yes!
    From what I've read, oat flour has less gluten, so you only want to use 1/4 - 1/3 oat four in the recipe. That means I'd only be using 66% - 75% of my white flour. I'm sure there will be some experimenting involved.
    I have about 5 bags of white flour left, and this can extend that even farther.

If you have other baked good recipes that are good with oats, I'd like to try them.
    Oats have zero gluten so you're going to get baked goods that are don't rise as well and are denser than if you were using 100% oat flour. I wouldn't replace any more than 25% of the wheat flour in a recipe. You might be able to use more in cookies, if you like a chewier texture.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    Oats have zero gluten so you're going to get baked goods that are don't rise as well and are denser than if you were using 100% oat flour. I wouldn't replace any more than 25% of the wheat flour in a recipe. You might be able to use more in cookies, if you like a chewier texture.
    Well, it can't be said that oats have "zero" gluten without discussing what one means by "gluten".
    Oats absolutely have a gluten protein, just not the same one found in wheat. (source: https://ceres.co.nz/blog/no-oats-are...ree-heres-why/)
    How this applies to folks with intolerance, I'm not as interested in... (my apologies to you celiac folks)
    How it applies to the characteristics of baked items, *that* piques my interest.

Have you used oat flour in place of white flour for anything to see how it compares? Does it work differently, or just rise differently due to being less elastic?
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Well, it can't be said that oats have "zero" gluten without discussing what one means by "gluten".
    Oats absolutely have a gluten protein, just not the same one found in wheat. (source: https://ceres.co.nz/blog/no-oats-are...ree-heres-why/)
    How this applies to folks with intolerance, I'm not as interested in... (my apologies to you celiac folks)
    How it applies to the characteristics of baked items, *that* piques my interest.

Have you used oat flour in place of white flour for anything to see how it compares? Does it work differently, or just rise differently due to being less elastic?
    I've tried it but it's been years and years. Everything was just...denser/heavier/doesn't hold together as well. If you were to try baking something with 100% oat flour, it would be very dense and crumbly (don't ask me how I know).

And, yes, I admit to using "gluten" interchangeably with "wheat gluten." My daughter has celiac but fortunately she's not sensitive to the gluten in oats.
    Kauboy likes this.

So last night I ordered a handheld CB radio, a shortwave/AM/FM radio and requested my GMRS/FRS license. I think it a good idea to listen whilst I sit here doing nothing.
    paulag1955 and Denton like this.
    "There is a destiny that shapes our ends, Rough, hew them as we will."

Me and the hubby cleaned our weapons yesterday. I went out today and got myself a couple coloring books and a few other things to keep me entertained while I’m on lockdown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    csi-tech and MountainGirl like this.

Super Moderator

1. Ordered my wigglers Should be here early next week!

2. Cut up a bunch of produce scraps (their food) and stuck it in the freezer.

3. Now I've got to get my daughter to drill holes in a storage tote lid --that's gonna become my worm farm.

4. Got a bag of potting soil and newspaper in the ready.

I'm so pumped to start my garden this year. We had a lot of construction going on over the winter at Casa Annie's and my yard is just one big mess of dirt. Almost everything's gonna be from scratch. I've got a big patch of yard facing South over to the side of the house, full on sun and that's where it'll all begin.

Next, I need to get a big wire fence put up to keep the wildlife out.
    Michael_Js and MountainGirl like this.
    “Get your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape.” Planet of the Apes, 1968

Today I'm making bread using my sourdough starter!!!
    Michael_Js and Annie like this.

Loaded the mags like I said I would.

Oiled the 2 AK's that are at the ready.

Oiled the outside of many loaded FAL and Galil 308 mags.

The new loaded AK mags went into ammo cans after lightly wiping down the outside with PL Special.

Have plenty in carriers as it is, so into the cans.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 03-26-2020 at 03:28 PM.
    Annie likes this.

Page 121 of 127 FirstFirst ... 21 71 111 119 120 121 122 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links