A Thought on Food Storage
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on A Thought on Food Storage within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I am hardly an expert, but I was thinking about adding to my existing long term food storage. I have been taking my health more ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: A Thought on Food Storage

I am hardly an expert, but I was thinking about adding to my existing long term food storage. I have been taking my health more seriously over the last year and a large part of that is being aware of what I put in my body. The sad fact is most of us are clueless about what we are eating and whether is it even good for us. Most are satisfied if it tastes good and that is the end of that. In the mean time we are facing an obesity crisis, heart disease and diabetes are on the rise and the younger generation is actually expected to not live as long as their parents.

So I started reading labels and I looked at the labels on my Wise and Mountain House freeze dried foods and I was shocked as to how few calories to sodium you are getting per package. As an example Wise Creamy Pasta and Vegetable Rotini has 4 servings and is 200 calories per serving, so are you really only eating 200 calories? no your eating the whole package which is 800 calories, but it is a whopping 2400 mg of sodium. That means if your a guy you still need to eat 1200 more calories and you have already had 400 mg more sodium than you should in a day. I personally think even 2000 is to high, so how do you get your other 1200 calories without overdosing on salt? We would all be dead from hypertension or a stroke before the Apocalypse was over, so we need to think about mixing it up with our food stores.

I understand their are some lower sodium alternatives available now and I need to look into them. Right now my thinking is mixing canned foods, with freeze dried and MREs. I believe morale should also be considered when preparing. Not all of us can garden due to space or skill issues and most people wont make the time to learn anyway, so that means food storage is the answer for most people. Any rate I am just venting and I need to think on this some more. I did stumble across a little website that seems to focus on MREs and I thought they had some good prices. They appear to be relatively new and didn't have a lot to choose from, but they did have real military MREs which I prefer over the civilian ones. I don't understand why the civilian ones don't just repackage the military ones. I want 12 menus per case not 6, Like I said morale needs to be considered and meal choices is a big deal in my mind.

Oh that website is called allmres.com Any thoughts on what I said?

P.S

I just cracked open a MRE and I counted the calories and sodium of a Cheese Tortellini

It totaled 1,410 calories and 1,920mg of sodium which is less sodium and more calories than the freeze dried. I did notice that the trail mix only had 300 calories and 620mg of sodium, so you could not eat that or rinse off the nuts and drastically reduce the sodium.
    Last edited by themerge2020; 08-20-2018 at 08:13 PM.
    Annie likes this.

I agree on the salt issue. It would be hard to survive on freeze dried foods alone. Or any other processed food with excess sodium.

Have you considered storing bulk dried foods such as; beans, rice, lentils, wheat, etc.?

I find prepping can be OVERWHELMING and am trying to find ways of breaking it down into manageable segments.

Have no experience with MRE’s despite serving five years in the military.
    themerge2020 likes this.

I agree - buckets of foods such as beans, oatmeal, some rice, various grains etc are an excellent way to go. Also get a high quality grain grinder.
    youngridge likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Hi Merge, great post! Food storage is a bit of an obsession for me, but the sad truth is that we're not gonna get optimal health eating a diet of shelf stable foods, period. Still, something is always better than nothing when it comes to eating, right!? I do store some stuff (from the Mormons) that has a long term shelf life, but other than that I to try to stick to foods that rotate out within a year or two. Some of the better for you stuff I do: can a lot of my own meats, and buy canned tuna, salmon, chicken, lots of canned beans. Sauerkraut is a good one to stock up on, peppers and artichoke hearts, canned tomatoes, corn, peas. I keep olive and coconut oils in a spare fridge--oils are important, but won't keep long term. I've learned to avoid stuff my family won't eat, like canned green beans. Sprouts are a really good option, easy to grow and loaded with vitamins--something I'm not doing as yet, but I've got to get going on.

Have you ever considered raised bed gardening? This is what we do. This year was a total wipe-out due to our garden being ravaged by deer. Our stupid neighbor feeds them, so they come around quite often. Next year, we're fencing the garden in and hopefully coming back strong with lots to preserve.
    Chiefster23 and Prepared One like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Hi Merge, great post! Food storage is a bit of an obsession for me, but the sad truth is that we're not gonna get optimal health eating a diet of shelf stable foods, period. Still, something is always better than nothing when it comes to eating, right!? I do store some stuff (from the Mormons) that has a long term shelf life, but other than that I to try to stick to foods that rotate out within a year or two. Some of the better for you stuff I do: can a lot of my own meats, and buy canned tuna, salmon, chicken, lots of canned beans. Sauerkraut is a good one to stock up on, peppers and artichoke hearts, canned tomatoes, corn, peas. I keep olive and coconut oils in a spare fridge--oils are important, but won't keep long term. I've learned to avoid stuff my family won't eat, like canned green beans. Sprouts are a really good option, easy to grow and loaded with vitamins--something I'm not doing as yet, but I've got to get going on.

Have you ever considered raised bed gardening? This is what we do. This year was a total wipe-out due to our garden being ravaged by deer. Our stupid neighbor feeds them, so they come around quite often. Next year, we're fencing the garden in and hopefully coming back strong with lots to preserve.
    Amen on the deer. I have a stupid neighbor feeding them also. This required me to install 6 foot fencing around the garden. So the deer moved to my fruit trees and berry bushes. They ate over 50% of my peaches and broke branches also.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    Amen on the deer. I have a stupid neighbor feeding them also. This required me to install 6 foot fencing around the garden. So the deer moved to my fruit trees and berry bushes. They ate over 50% of my peaches and broke branches also.
    Wow, sorry to hear that. Do you have any idea on how to discourage them away from your trees?

Sent from my SM-S337TL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    Crossbows or bows in general are a quiet way of thinning the heard.
    Prepared One likes this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

My food storage is divided between Perma-Pak and Walton Feed. I have a year supply for 5 people based on 2500 cal a day. I looked at the sodium content very low. But they are not complete meals like you mentioned. It is the ingredients to make a meal. Like I use the beef flavored TVP for spaghetti, or mix with egg and make meatloaf. But it is all balanced to make a meal, like Chicken TVP or fruit cocktail, green beans peas, corn etc. Shelf life 25 years. I opened up some Chicken TVP last month I think EXP date was 2010. Tasted pretty good and I am alive to talk about it. If you are interested in this type of thing, talk to an LDS friend. They can generally point you in the right direction. And we won't try to proselytize you.
    Kauboy and jimb1972 like this.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum.
    NRA Life Member
    "America is at that awkward stage. It's to late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards" Claire Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by Camel923 View Post
    Crossbows or bows in general are a quiet way of thinning the heard.
    LOL! Are we talking about using the crossbow on the deer or the stupid neighbors?
    Prepared One likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Wow, sorry to hear that. Do you have any idea on how to discourage them away from your trees?

Sent from my SM-S337TL using Tapatalk
    Short answer, NO. I fence my young trees to give them a fighting chance to get established before they are eaten to death. But after a couple of years it isn’t practical to fence anymore.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links