Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Lets talk portable communication

4K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  paraquack 
#1 ·
Going on the premises of one of our party has lost or broken their cell phone, dead battery, cell towers backed up with to many calls or are down for whatever reason, how do we communicate with our family and or group members in a very hilly inner city/suburbia area say up to a 10-20 mile range while hoofing it home from work with our GHB strapped on/ scavenging for supplies.
Back in the day chances were good the landlines would still work when the power grid was down, but phone booths are all but extinct these days and we haven't had a landline in our place for 10 years.

I know enough about line of sight with radios. In recent years I've used the Midland or Motorola walkie talkies on job sites and they work pretty good for short range of a few blocks to 1/2 mile inner city, although being a 75' away on the other side of a 3-4 story brick/stucco building can hamper there use. I've stood on the roof of the 25' box truck I drove with my Motorola Nextel out in the sticks on the highest hills I could find trying to contact the office 50 miles away. As a pre adult I spent many a late night staring at the power meter of a CB playing hide and seek.

I'm not one with a budget that can afford to just toss a couple sat phones (pay the bill every month) in a bag that will hopefully never get used.
Are there decent options out there for under $101 for 2 handsets.

See less See more
Reactions: RedLion
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.