Idea regarding sleep during a bug-out in the wild scenaryo - Page 5
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Idea regarding sleep during a bug-out in the wild scenaryo

This is a discussion on Idea regarding sleep during a bug-out in the wild scenaryo within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; If alone you find a place off the path leave no sign you walked in use a simple lean to and Camouflage the best you ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Idea regarding sleep during a bug-out in the wild scenaryo

If alone you find a place off the path leave no sign you walked in use a simple lean to and Camouflage the best you can. The harder it is to get to the spot you pick the better. Done right a lean to is easy to hide. I have stayed dry in some long hard down pours in a proper lean to. And stayed warm in some real cold weather.
    0rocky, dwight55 and Gigio like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    Absolutely not, unless you want to lose your legs and genitals. That's what would happen if you dangled from the harness for any length of time. I assure you that you won't be sleeping.

Don't listen to me, though; I've only been trained on the proper wear and use of the harness and have to use it from time to time.
    Older thread but I was just scanning to see if anybody really was aware of the OP's idea of sleeping in a safety harness. And I see Denton is the winner... Chicken dinner!

I also have used these torture devices while 40 feet in the air doing electrical work on parking lot lights and absolutely no is the answer to elevate yourself in one of these medieval torture devices. No they are not meant to hang around and if you did end up hanging around in one of these you better hope help is on the way pronto before you lose blood flow to your leg and junk causing permanent damage to you body. Dumb Ideas you will certainly pay for and this is one of them!
    Denton likes this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Lots of unknown variables. Some terrain and conditions it would be better to move at night without lights even without night vision than to try and move during the day.

If you have a large group 20 or more you set some look outs away from the group for protection. Called an LP for listening or lookout position. Usually maned by 2 sometimes 3 . One awake one asleep they get in position without being seen and stay put without drawing attention.

Smaller group you set a rotating watch in the best cover / concealment you can find. Deep trees, Brush, cave no lights, little noise, no cooking odors, Side of a hill not on top where you are easily seen.

If your group is OK with climbing trees and you got at least a rope to tie yourself in once up it could work in some areas . But climbing trees is pretty tough for most people.

A simple rope harness is lighter to carry and can be tied to other ropes to make it longer / use for other purposes. If the area you are in requires a lot of climbing / repelling than yes a climbing harness would be helpful . Stay away from heavy safety gear rather look at sport gear at places like REI.

If by yourself I would try and hole up during the day and move at night in most country. Again depends on moon cycle and terrain.
    [1]Survival: Actions I need to do NOW to live another 5 minutes to 3 days.[2] Prepping: What I do to insure my family makes it thru an adverse event lasting 3 days to 3 months [3] Seeds and livestock: What you need for long term subsistence.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Having worn fall protection professionally, I say you wouldn't get any sleep in it.
    tonybluegoat likes this.
    Black Lives Matter. Proud to live in a sanctuary city.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gigio View Post
    Ok so I just created this account to get started in sharing stuff with other preppers and because I also wanted to ask advice regarding an idea I had a few days ago. So sorry if this post is not really good or i misused the board

I always thought that in a bug-out scenaryo its really hard to sleep.
    Imagine this, you had to bugout and now you are in the middle of nowhere in some woods maybe alone, maybe with 1 or 2 people you trust. The sun starts to go down and you're planning how you are going to spend the night.
    You cant just throw a tent with a sleeping bag like a camping day and go to sleep. You must stay alert all night long or have someone on watch because who knows what could happend during this apocalyptic scenaryo right? And well a lot of other things that we all know could happen and we all know that this is your must vulnerable moment, when you are resting.

So trying to come up with a solution I thought on nature. How do animals keep safe from predators? they sleep on trees.
    So I came up with this solution, you could have something like this on your bugout bag:
    Attachment 80909
    Attachment 80911
    These are used by people who have dangerous jobs like cleaning windows or climbers so theyre safe and theyre known for being reliable because people put their lives in the hands of these devices.
    You could climb a tree (or if u cant you could just toss a rope and have a pully system or something if you are not that fit.
    Tie yourself with a chain or a rope to a high strong branch and just sleep hanging or laying on a branch.
    I've used these a couple of times and they're not reaally uncomfortable, i think could sleep using one.
    This would be great for concealment aswell, no one goes around in a forrest looking at every tree top, and even if someone does it would be really hard for them to see someone at the top of tree in the middle of all the brush and the night.

So anyways, I'd like to know the opinion of more experienced people or just preppers in general. Do you think this would be a good idea in such kind of scenaryo?
    I would suggest doing what people have done for 12,000 years, bring a dog along. It's the easiest prep in the world. You don't even need to own a dog when the SHTF, there are plenty of them wandering around. Prep some food for the dog. He will follow you where ever you go. AFter a few days he will be locked into you. If someone or something comes around he will bark. That's easier, cheaper and more practical, I think, than sleeping in the trees.

The other problem with sleeping tied into a tree is that if you are seen you're stuck. You can't run. Ask any raccoon. Once you go up a tree that's where you are.

But the next question is.... how do you sleep without being seen at all? Now that's a different story. Hiding in plain sight sort of thing.

The tent I have in my BOB is a low profile, 1 person affair. I have a different tent if it's me and my wife. This thing is only about 2 feet tall and I can use brush to cover it pretty easily. So if you're looking to hide get stuff that's camouflage or at least not bright orange.

Name:  download.jpeg
Views: 23
Size:  8.3 KB
    That isn't the exact one I use, but it gives you an idea. Not too hard to cover in brush. You could be 30 feet off the trail and not be seen, if you don't use a fire. That's why my bugout food is MRE's, not stuff that needs to be cooked. And it's why I use an alcohol stove for warming up coffee and such. No open fire in a conceal situation.

Idea regarding sleep during a bug-out in the wild scenaryo-fuel-block-stove.jpg

I did a lot of bug out drills in the suburbs. I would pitch my tent, eat and have coffee without anyone seeing me while walking or driving by.
    Last edited by tonybluegoat; 09-21-2018 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tonybluegoat View Post
    I would suggest doing what people have done for 12,000 years, bring a dog along. It's the easiest prep in the world. You don't even need to own a dog when the SHTF, there are plenty of them wandering around. Prep some food for the dog. He will follow you where ever you go. AFter a few days he will be locked into you. If someone or something comes around he will bark. That's easier, cheaper and more practical, I think, than sleeping in the trees.
    Yea, after all the replyes and stuff I clearly see that sleeping in a tree its not such a good idea haha.
    The problem I find with the dog is that 1. he consumes resources 2. if you're trying to hide, a dog moving, making noises and barking is not a good idea in my opinion 3. yea, the dog its a great tool to let you know theres people around but it forces you to interact with these people, maybe you wanted to know there was people close but didnt wanted to let them know you're there, well with the dog thats not possible. He just barked and revealed your location.
    Unless its a highly trained dog that knows particular commands or you have 15 dogs that can fight off anything, I dont see this very practical.
    tonybluegoat likes this.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Sponsored Links