Idea regarding sleep during a bug-out in the wild scenaryo - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Idea regarding sleep during a bug-out in the wild scenaryo

This is a discussion on Idea regarding sleep during a bug-out in the wild scenaryo within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I was thinking the other way. Most of us carry knives, and if you roll over in your sleep, a bolster could make a small ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Idea regarding sleep during a bug-out in the wild scenaryo

I was thinking the other way. Most of us carry knives, and if you roll over in your sleep, a bolster could make a small tear. Your weight rips open the hole and you fall fifty feet into a bear's lunchbox.

If stealth is the concern, I'd dig a little bit, and if it's cold, line with hot rocks.
    0rocky likes this.

Or ….. ya could just keep on overthinking the thing.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by StratMaster View Post
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here (pun intended) and suggest re-thinking any plan which requires wearing a helmet to bed. That's just me.
    Seems like an awful lot of gear to be packing as well.
    The helmet could be nice if u get a tacticool one but i dont think its really a need and it aint that much gear. Just some rope (that you should have anyway) and the harness wich is basically more rope.

Quote Originally Posted by Maine-Marine View Post
    If you are by yourself set up noise makers to alert you

get off the main road..you should alread be in he tree line.. walking on the road is for sheep or wolves... sheep dogs know to keep a low profile
    Im not talking in a scenaryo near a road or a place with people. I said deep woods.
    And you're right about keeping a low profile, setting up noise makers is everything but that.
    Noise makers would just alert the wolves that someone is around, and if you're on your own, that aint good.
    If you're hiding 40ft in the top of a tree no one will even know someone is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    personally the scenario isn't that true to life for a prepper .... a few nites rough camping possible initially for SHTF travel hiking to a BOL - highly doubtful it'll be a WROL situation already and especially in a rural setting .... if your plan is to Jeremiah Johnson it - no real security is one of the major flaws in your plan and you need to live or die with it ...

only exception I see is a long range "get home" where it's forced on you ....
    Yes I agree but you have to consider that almost any prepper could get in a situation like this.
    Shit is gonna hit the fan and it wont care if you're on hawai on your honeymoon, visiting relatives at another state, at the superbowl or whatever the scenaryo is that you cant reach your proper preps... And even if SHTF and you DO have everything like u wanted, you could still be forced to leave your house and move to the woods for X amount of time.
    And thats where my idea comes, wouldnt be better to sleep safe in top of a tree instead of ground level with a tent?

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

As someone who has actually lived in a tree for several days, without coming to ground...NEXT! Climbing trees is fun, valuable for observation and possibly for snipers, see confederacy during the war of federal oppression.. however, it is NOT a viable solution for a lone individual or small group. Why? The least sexy reason possible, unless your mentally ill; taking a dump. It’s a real hassle, and it’s surprisingly loud, and it will make a mess substantial enough to get attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Maine-Marine View Post
    If you are by yourself set up noise makers to alert you

get off the main road..you should alread be in he tree line.. walking on the road is for sheep or wolves... sheep dogs know to keep a low profile
    This is closer to what I would do. If you have others with you, then you should always rotate an awake person on LP/OP if you are not absolutely certain that the area is secure and void of threats.
    MaterielGeneral likes this.

Attachment 80917
    And that's all I have to say about that...

Quote Originally Posted by Gigio View Post
    Ok so I just created this account to get started in sharing stuff with other preppers and because I also wanted to ask advice regarding an idea I had a few days ago. So sorry if this post is not really good or i misused the board

I always thought that in a bug-out scenaryo its really hard to sleep.
    Imagine this, you had to bugout and now you are in the middle of nowhere in some woods maybe alone, maybe with 1 or 2 people you trust. The sun starts to go down and you're planning how you are going to spend the night.
    You cant just throw a tent with a sleeping bag like a camping day and go to sleep. You must stay alert all night long or have someone on watch because who knows what could happend during this apocalyptic scenaryo right? And well a lot of other things that we all know could happen and we all know that this is your must vulnerable moment, when you are resting.

So trying to come up with a solution I thought on nature. How do animals keep safe from predators? they sleep on trees.
    So I came up with this solution, you could have something like this on your bugout bag:
    Attachment 80909
    Attachment 80911
    These are used by people who have dangerous jobs like cleaning windows or climbers so theyre safe and theyre known for being reliable because people put their lives in the hands of these devices.
    You could climb a tree (or if u cant you could just toss a rope and have a pully system or something if you are not that fit.
    Tie yourself with a chain or a rope to a high strong branch and just sleep hanging or laying on a branch.
    I've used these a couple of times and they're not reaally uncomfortable, i think could sleep using one.
    This would be great for concealment aswell, no one goes around in a forrest looking at every tree top, and even if someone does it would be really hard for them to see someone at the top of tree in the middle of all the brush and the night.

So anyways, I'd like to know the opinion of more experienced people or just preppers in general. Do you think this would be a good idea in such kind of scenaryo?

Quote Originally Posted by jim-henscheli View Post
    As someone who has actually lived in a tree for several days, without coming to ground...NEXT! Climbing trees is fun, valuable for observation and possibly for snipers, see confederacy during the war of federal oppression.. however, it is NOT a viable solution for a lone individual or small group. Why? The least sexy reason possible, unless your mentally ill; taking a dump. It’s a real hassle, and it’s surprisingly loud, and it will make a mess substantial enough to get attention.
    Thanks a bunch for that visual. Oh yes, and audio as well as you did mention "surprisingly loud".
    0rocky likes this.

Looks complex to me. Considering I snore like a freight train being elevated would not likely to give me an advantage, only the disadvantages of the situation. I am confident enough that I could get far enough off the beaten path that locating me by accident would be remote. Plus I pack trip wire. Traveling with at least one other gives the ability to post a guard so everyone gets some sack time.
    Last edited by Camel923; 06-25-2018 at 08:47 PM.
    StratMaster and RedLion like this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Quote Originally Posted by Camel923 View Post
    Looks complex to me. Considering I snore like a freight train being elevated would not likely to give me an advantage, only the disadvantages of the situation. I am confident enough that I could get far enough off the beaten path that locating me by accident would be remote. Plus I pack trip wire. Traveling with at least one other gives the ability to post a guard so everyone gets some sack time.
    Obviously one can't have a CPAP in a bugout bag, but I do keep an extra jaw-forward oral appliance in mine. Otherwise I can rattle windows a block away with my snoring.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Gigio View Post
    Ok so I just created this account to get started in sharing stuff with other preppers and because I also wanted to ask advice regarding an idea I had a few days ago. So sorry if this post is not really good or i misused the board

I always thought that in a bug-out scenaryo its really hard to sleep.
    Imagine this, you had to bugout and now you are in the middle of nowhere in some woods maybe alone, maybe with 1 or 2 people you trust. The sun starts to go down and you're planning how you are going to spend the night.
    You cant just throw a tent with a sleeping bag like a camping day and go to sleep. You must stay alert all night long or have someone on watch because who knows what could happend during this apocalyptic scenaryo right? And well a lot of other things that we all know could happen and we all know that this is your must vulnerable moment, when you are resting.

So trying to come up with a solution I thought on nature. How do animals keep safe from predators? they sleep on trees.
    So I came up with this solution, you could have something like this on your bugout bag:
    Attachment 80909
    Attachment 80911
    These are used by people who have dangerous jobs like cleaning windows or climbers so theyre safe and theyre known for being reliable because people put their lives in the hands of these devices.
    You could climb a tree (or if u cant you could just toss a rope and have a pully system or something if you are not that fit.
    Tie yourself with a chain or a rope to a high strong branch and just sleep hanging or laying on a branch.
    I've used these a couple of times and they're not reaally uncomfortable, i think could sleep using one.
    This would be great for concealment aswell, no one goes around in a forrest looking at every tree top, and even if someone does it would be really hard for them to see someone at the top of tree in the middle of all the brush and the night.

So anyways, I'd like to know the opinion of more experienced people or just preppers in general. Do you think this would be a good idea in such kind of scenaryo?
    Absolutely not, unless you want to lose your legs and genitals. That's what would happen if you dangled from the harness for any length of time. I assure you that you won't be sleeping.

Don't listen to me, though; I've only been trained on the proper wear and use of the harness and have to use it from time to time.
    Gigio, 0rocky and hawgrider like this.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links