Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Gas generator

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  A J 
#1 ·
First let me say just joined and great site for info here. Now my question: I was give a gasoline powered generator by my inlaws when they moved and have been starting it up once a month or so just to keep it in "running order." Any comments on how frequent you think this needs to be done or how long to run it once I start it? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Main thing is to start & run it for about 5 minutes. Then put it under electrical load for another 5-10 minutes. If its a 240VAC generator you want to put it under a 240V load. Option is a 120V load under each leg.
There are two sections is the reason for this. The gasoline engine & the generator. You don't want to load down the engine when its cold. That is the reason for warming it up before applying the electrical load.

#4 ·
Just started my generators up yesterday, warmed them up for 5 min (per directions) and then plugged in a dual florescent 40watt fixture into each and let them run for about 45 min. Meant to run them for 15 minutes with load but got side tracked. I do this every two months and they always start easy and run without problems (so far). I change the oil in the 5500 once a year and change the oil in the Honda more often as it actually gets used quite a bit. Honda is the eu2000i and I really want to get the companion so I can plug them together.

#9 ·
I have 2 of the EU2000i's and have been using them for more than 10-12 years.

I don't exercise mine (except when we need power), but I store them without gas in the carburetor bowl and with fresh oil.

I do however take good care of them.
1) I only burn 100% gas in them with a 1oz/gal of SeaFoam gas stabilizer. (visit pure-gas dot org to find a station that sells zero ethanol gas)
2) After I use one of them, I drain the gas from the tank and carb bowl and then run it until it dies (to eliminate any varnish buildup).
3) I alternate which one I use each year.

Last year we used one of them 12 hours/day for 5 days during a power outage, (oil changed at the end). It burned less than 10 gallons of gasoline!

Hope this helps,
AJ

ps: I only burn non ethanol gas in all my small engines (snowblower, mower, snowmobile, chainsaw, weed eater ...), it has essentially eliminated my need to clean carburetors every couple years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.