EMP protection, what I found - Page 4

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

EMP protection, what I found

This is a discussion on EMP protection, what I found within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack This is true. Just tossing your cell phone into an ammo can, calling it and not hearing it ring ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: EMP protection, what I found

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    This is true. Just tossing your cell phone into an ammo can, calling it and not hearing it ring doesn't make the ammo can a good faraday cage. It may be a good one at the frequency the phone is operating at, but at other frequencies it will fail miserably.

I've seen people put a simple AM radio in their microwave and it quits picking up the local country rock station. Again.... it works at a specific frequency.

The strength of the signal is another factor. An EMP that originates 20-30 miles right above you will have more of an effect than an identical source several hundred miles away.
    I have also read that proximity is not a reliable indicator of intensity either, and that the most damage would be delivered at an angle from the detonation site. The more I read the more theory resembles voodoo.
    "A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still."- The wise words of Benjamin Franklin.

Quote Originally Posted by jimb1972 View Post
    I have also read that proximity is not a reliable indicator of intensity either, and that the most damage would be delivered at an angle from the detonation site. The more I read the more theory resembles voodoo.
    Long story short: There's scant reliable evidence due to lack of methodical testing. The only real way to get down to brass tacks is to start setting off EMPs at various frequencies, intensities, heights and angles from a test location.

Of course, that's going to go over about as well as Beto taking our ARs and AKs.
    jimb1972 likes this.
    I try not to make plans much. The word 'premeditated' would get tossed around in court.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Not sure if this has been addressed as yet but......EMP's aren't always man-made. The sun can also produce an EMP if there's enough flare activity. Then there's the # of grids in the US that can be effected. We have 3 grid systems. East, West (I think the Mississippi River is the divider)…..then there's Texas (ERCOT). Not sure how they got their own but there it is.

So if we are hit with an EMP, regardless of it's source, and only a small fraction of the population have successfully protected their electronics...….who ya gonna call??

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

jimb1972 likes this.
    I try not to make plans much. The word 'premeditated' would get tossed around in court.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

An EMP will cover a frequency range from maybe a 100 MHz to 100 GHz or so. The protection needed should be as high as you can afford to do.
    That's why I use the triple foil wrap with insulating plastic between each layer and then everything goes into sealed, metal garbage can sealed
    with foil tape. Inspect the can. I found a can with hollow, riveted handles that had to be sealed with tape. I opted to solder the rivets closed.
    I removed the handles on the top of the garbage can lid and soldered the holes closed. That way I can stack the cans one atop another to save
    space.

As far as the sun, A CME can create a Magnetic storm. According to Dr. Bradley, as long as the elctronic device is not plugged into and outlet, it
    will be fine.

One thing I was not originally aware of. Some lithium batterys have internal regulators to prevent over charging. This could be damaged by an
    EMP, so I now triple wrap my lithium batteries with aluminum foil and plastic and store them in a good sized candy tin with full cover. I used a
    wire brush on a bench grinder to remove the paint for a metal to metal connection and seal it with foil tape so I can take them out and charge
    and run them couple of times a year.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Sponsored Links