EMP protection, what I found - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

EMP protection, what I found

This is a discussion on EMP protection, what I found within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Some new info for those interested, including that Trump is making preparation a priority and that an estimated cost to harden the U.S. grid would ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: EMP protection, what I found

Some new info for those interested, including that Trump is making preparation a priority and that an estimated cost to harden the U.S. grid would be about $2 billion.

U.S. Urged to Rapidly Prepare for Electromagnetic Pulse Attack

World War II-style Manhattan Project needed for electric infrastructure protection
    https://freebeacon.com/national-secu...-pulse-attack/

Ok, I am looking at making a 55 gallon drum faraday cage. The plan is to use an open top drum that is coated with pickup bedliner to prevent corrosion, lined with foam, and sealed with aluminum tape before the ring is put on. I am finding very mixed information on grounding. Some say grounding ads an antenna, some say ungrounded the cage is worthless. What have others here found?
    "A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still."- The wise words of Benjamin Franklin.

Does a 55 gallon drum have enough "metal" to take the impact of a lightning strike or just a 110 volt outlet? I've wondered about making the spare downstairs bedroom a "safe room" and simply add another layer (or two) of basement style bricks. I'm not sure that bricks like that could stop even a garden variety rifle shot.

I'm wondering if I should be on the look-out for old billiard ball tables. Will slate be enough, as well?
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    Does a 55 gallon drum have enough "metal" to take the impact of a lightning strike or just a 110 volt outlet? ......
    120 volts from your house is nothing for a 55-gal drum. I may make a small pit and burn mark, but it'll survive easily.

Lighting? No way to tell. If the strike is strong enough, there's gonna be collateral damage.
    jimb1972 likes this.
    I try not to make plans much. The word 'premeditated' would get tossed around in court.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

I really want one of these!Hidden Content

My problem is there is conflicting information from multiple sources. Some say to ground it, some say do not. Some say cardboard is a good insulator, some say it attracts moisture and should not be used. Some sources say you do not need to insulate things at all because the faraday cage only conducts on the outer skin. There is a whole bunch of information in the sources you listed, bit very little on how to build the most effective faraday cage. The most helpful was the guy with the signal generator and trash can/emp bags, but I have also seen reputable sources say that simply RF radiation does not provide a legitimate test method.
    "A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still."- The wise words of Benjamin Franklin.

My problem is there is conflicting information from multiple sources. Some say to ground it, some say do not. Some say cardboard is a good insulator, some say it attracts moisture and should not be used. Some sources say you do not need to insulate things at all because the faraday cage only conducts on the outer skin. There is a whole bunch of information in the sources you listed, bit very little on how to build the most effective faraday cage. The most helpful was the guy with the signal generator and trash can/emp bags, but I have also seen reputable sources say that simply RF radiation does not provide a legitimate test method.

The last link does not work. The second to last link would probably be the most useful if I were a mathematician, unfortunately I am not.

I only read articles and info from poeple who have the letteres after their name to indicate they actually know of what they speak. Both Jerry Emanuelson BSEE and Dr Bradely PhD have the credentials necessary.
    All the info I trust says nothing about grounding. As far as cardboard, yes it will collect and hold moisture. I use 4 mil plastic sheeting, then a double layer of aluminum foil with then seams folded over 2-3 times and compressed as much as I possible can. Then a second layer of each and a third layer of each. Dr Bradley has videos of him "testing" his "EMP bags" using a two way radio, because an EMP is an Electromagnetic Pulse, same as a radio wave is an Electromagnetic wave. Being an Amateur Extra ham operator, I used 2 4-watt ham radios at 440+ MHz to recreate the DR's "tests". One layer of aluminum foil was superior to 3 of his "best" bags, one inside another inside another. Following Emanuelson's recommendation I use 3 layers of foil with HD plastic sheeting between each layer of foil. So, if my one layer of foil with insulating HD, plastic sheeting is as good as his 3 "best" bags, 3 layers of foil should offer many thousands of times the protection, if his figures of 90 dB protection for 3 bags is correct. His chart shows shows each of his bags as providing 18 dB of protection. But he says 3 of his bags should be about 90 to 100 dB of protection. And I put these foil, sealed packages in a metal garbage can sealed with foil tape See chart below. If you want more info, PM me, I've been studding EMPs since about 2005. I even made up a PPT for my local group and the prepper ham students I teach. But I would need your personnal email address. Ever see the cell phone in the microwave test. Don't believe it. It's an electonic trick. I can do the same thing with 2 Cheetos bags. It's in the PPT.

EMP protection, what I found-bradleys-db-sheet.jpg
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by jimb1972 View Post
    ........ but I have also seen reputable sources say that simply RF radiation does not provide a legitimate test method.
    This is true. Just tossing your cell phone into an ammo can, calling it and not hearing it ring doesn't make the ammo can a good faraday cage. It may be a good one at the frequency the phone is operating at, but at other frequencies it will fail miserably.

I've seen people put a simple AM radio in their microwave and it quits picking up the local country rock station. Again.... it works at a specific frequency.

The strength of the signal is another factor. An EMP that originates 20-30 miles right above you will have more of an effect than an identical source several hundred miles away.
    jimb1972 likes this.
    I try not to make plans much. The word 'premeditated' would get tossed around in court.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links