Interior Home Active Defense & Strategies
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Interior Home Active Defense & Strategies within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Defending our homes will be a major concern come SHTF. What I intend to discuss here are defenses placed in the interior of a home ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Interior Home Active Defense & Strategies

Defending our homes will be a major concern come SHTF. What I intend to discuss here are defenses placed in the interior of a home and what protocols would be best employed when a home is breached or the attempt to breach is being made. Although I've read a lot about it, this is not an area where I can claim any expertise, so I’d like to hear from those of you who can supply good advice. I’m looking for something a little more specific than, “Shoot them!”. This area of defense is very situation-dependant, so say what you would do in different situations. For example, I imagine that what is done will be highly dependent on whether they have guns.

Some examples of my personal questions are: What are the best tactics to use if they have overwhelming strength. What are the best tactics to use if the group has gained entry? What are the best tactics to use if they have previously kidnapped one of your family and want your house and everything in it in exchange?

I'll jump in first with a single suggestion: firing stations.
    Your windows should already have iron bars to prevent entry. Open the sheet rock or paneling to the left or right of your window and install pig iron or thick steel sheets to form an invisible firing station, then re-sheetrock. As you find it necessary to fire from the window position, you will have this body sized shield built into the wall for protection. As you know, rifle rounds will come right through siding and sheet rock only.
    Slippy likes this.

That's really an extensive series of questions that is dependent on your specific home, surroundings, capabilities, supplies, etc. What works in location a might not work in location b. What works for someone with a large group, might not work for a loner. But if your opponent has overwhelming strength and has breached, I would recommend a fast retreat out the back door. If they have captured a loved one, I would recommend surrender or sacrifice. Obviously all unpleasant options. Which is why I would rather rewind the clock and shore up my physical security and crisis planning before it gets to that point. The best confrontations are the ones you are able to avoid. The best battles are the ones you never have to fight.
    Camel923 and MikeTango like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by StratMaster View Post
    I'll jump in first with a single suggestion: firing stations.
    Your windows should already have iron bars to prevent entry. Open the sheet rock or paneling to the left or right of your window and install pig iron or thick steel sheets to form an invisible firing station, then re-sheetrock. As you find it necessary to fire from the window position, you will have this body sized shield built into the wall for protection. As you know, rifle rounds will come right through siding and sheet rock only.
    Here's an idea I had a while back:

Create a 3' X 3' frame pocket with 2 2x4 uprights, a 2x8 bottom, and thick plywood sides. Put 4 castors under the 2x8, fill the pocket with 1 1/2 in. stones, then cover it closed with another 2x4. Now you have a rock barrier you can wheel to wherever you need it. Alternatively, you could attach the 2x4s or 2x6s to the studs on each side under a window, cover the outside with plywood, and have a pocket under each window you want to reinforce.
    StratMaster and patrioteer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by patrioteer View Post
    That's really an extensive series of questions that is dependent on your specific home, surroundings, capabilities, supplies, etc. What works in location a might not work in location b. What works for someone with a large group, might not work for a loner. But if your opponent has overwhelming strength and has breached, I would recommend a fast retreat out the back door. If they have captured a loved one, I would recommend surrender or sacrifice. Obviously all unpleasant options. Which is why I would rather rewind the clock and shore up my physical security and crisis planning before it gets to that point. The best confrontations are the ones you are able to avoid. The best battles are the ones you never have to fight.
    You're right about this topic being very situation-dependent, but difficult as it may be to describe, there are few areas of home defense that require more expertise. Most people who haven't experienced combat from a fixed position envision that all they need to do is identify the targets and shoot out the window. I think you gave some sound advice here. Thank you.
    patrioteer likes this.

You are not getting close enough to the home to get in or get a shot.
    Chipper, Michael_Js and Slippy like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Quote Originally Posted by TGus View Post
    Here's an idea I had a while back:

Create a 3' X 3' frame pocket with 2 2x4 uprights, a 2x8 bottom, and thick plywood sides. Put 4 castors under the 2x8, fill the pocket with 1 1/2 in. stones, then cover it closed with another 2x4. Now you have a rock barrier you can wheel to wherever you need it. Alternatively, you could attach the 2x4s or 2x6s to the studs on each side under a window, cover the outside with plywood, and have a pocket under each window you want to reinforce.
    I have seen something similar to this where the pockets are filled with small ceramic balls. They shatter when a bullet strikes them, but they absorb shrapnel and the balls on top just settle down. If I remember right the commercial version was expensive but there are alternatives that can be purchased and used at home for far less.

Put lots of dirt in tubs on your roof. Use plants to hold the dirt firmly. Have all gun fights using the potted garden as a defense. Flood the moat using the rooftop water tank.
    Slippy likes this.
    Just because I am peaceful does not mean I have forgotten how to be violent.
    If I am to die tonight I shall see that the night does not pass quietly.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content (Not a troll, a 12 Charlie)
    Hidden Content

It’s peaceful today, and no one is crashing thru my doorway and no one is likely to get shot. My cottage is an old stone home and I’m not going to test it with the one legal rifle, one legal shotgun and one legal handgun I have but I do believe the old stone will stop bullets. That affords me more help in keeping foes at bay and I really don’t want to let them breech and enjoy the same barrier that would work both ways. When I lived in SF it was oh so different for those wood and Sheetrock walls would stop nothing and I’d plan for engaging thru them routinely. Are you doing that are you seeing where your enemy will hide and where those weak spots are you can now know that he won’t?

No matter how much you reinforce a building a simple match can defeat all your hard work.

If a large group is stupid or lucky enough to get close I'll use this. Then adjust as needed. As others have already pointed out. Keeping intruders at a distance is a TOP priority for safety. Everyone's situation is different based on location and ability's etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Interior Home Active Defense & Strategies-dsc01881.jpg  

Camel923 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links