Interior Home Active Defense & Strategies - Page 3

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Interior Home Active Defense & Strategies

This is a discussion on Interior Home Active Defense & Strategies within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Here are some things that I think would be important to do. Create and practice a defensive plan for coping with intruders, both on your ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Interior Home Active Defense & Strategies

Here are some things that I think would be important to do.

Create and practice a defensive plan for coping with intruders, both on your property and at your door. The plan might go something like this:
    1. Let the intruders know several people are home and armed. Most will leave immediately if they are discovered.
    2. At night, at the first sign of trouble, shut off all lights in the house, and have all vulnerable persons go to a safe room near an exit, guarded by someone with a gun.
    3. Donít put yourself in the line of fire unnecessarily. If your house is nearly impervious, donít expose yourself by shooting out a window. The only exception to this I can think of is if you observe someone carrying a container.
    4. If there is an attempt to force entry, secure that door as well as possible, and place many obstacles in front of it. Also, have people check other entrances, as this may be a ruse to divert your attention.
    5. Dump a shit slurry or pepper oil on them from a window above the door. By law, you canít try to kill them until they are inside your house, -but you can harass the hell out of them.
    6. Have pre-established interior secure firing positions covering each possible entrance.
    7. Shoot them as they enter and try to climb over the obstacles. Hopefully, you have set your doors up to allow only one person at a time to get through.
    8. The first intruder in normally opens the other exterior door for others to enter. Donít let this happen.
    9. Siccing a dog, cat, or pet rabbit on the intruders is a good way to determine if they have a loaded gun.
    10. Donít escape out another exterior door until you know itís safe. Assume all entrances are covered.
    11. If captured, rush the intruders before being tied up. You might die, but you also might save your familyís lives.

If the intruders have entered, donít wander through the house searching for them if you canít do it silently and invisibly. Instead, wait for them to come to you, and always have an exit plan after shooting. Then rinse and repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcom Renolds View Post
    That's a nice looking garden hedge you got there!
    Malcom Renolds likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by patrioteer View Post
    That's really an extensive series of questions that is dependent on your specific home, surroundings, capabilities, supplies, etc. What works in location a might not work in location b. What works for someone with a large group, might not work for a loner. But if your opponent has overwhelming strength and has breached, I would recommend a fast retreat out the back door. If they have captured a loved one, I would recommend surrender or sacrifice. Obviously all unpleasant options. Which is why I would rather rewind the clock and shore up my physical security and crisis planning before it gets to that point. The best confrontations are the ones you are able to avoid. The best battles are the ones you never have to fight.
    "I would recommend a fast retreat out the back door."
    It would probably have to be a fighting retreat, because they probably have all entrances covered, in case someone is kind enough to open the door for them.

"If they have captured a loved one, I would recommend surrender or sacrifice."
    With all the stuff you have in your house as a prepper, it might be that they want to live there for a while , -with the hostage, to keep you from getting any nasty ideas about taking the house back forcibly. In that case, if the hostage is a female, -they did only guarantee that she'd be set free alive when they're far away. I don't think it'd be so easy for me to "just" surrender or sacrifice. I would have to do some heavy soul-searching before I got to that point.

Yeah, they're all unpleasant options.

"The best battles are the ones you never have to fight."
    Sun-Tsu
    patrioteer likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by stowlin View Post
    Itís peaceful today, and no one is crashing thru my doorway and no one is likely to get shot. My cottage is an old stone home and Iím not going to test it with the one legal rifle, one legal shotgun and one legal handgun I have but I do believe the old stone will stop bullets. That affords me more help in keeping foes at bay and I really donít want to let them breech and enjoy the same barrier that would work both ways. When I lived in SF it was oh so different for those wood and Sheetrock walls would stop nothing and Iíd plan for engaging thru them routinely. Are you doing that are you seeing where your enemy will hide and where those weak spots are you can now know that he wonít?
    Use obstacles to funnel your enemy into kill zones of your choice, where they have no real cover, but you do.
    StratMaster and stowlin like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    No matter how much you reinforce a building a simple match can defeat all your hard work.
    Unless you can observe all sides of your house at one time, I think there is no protection from a dedicated arsonist. Even a dog on the other side of the house won't be aware. It only takes one match, some gasoline, and 10 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatic Wrench View Post
    I've given this a lot of thought.
    I'm on the second floor with only a front door, metal door, down a narrow hall. I took some measurements and I can stick the couch down the hall against the door. The over stuffed chair will just squeeze into the doorway of guest bath, so I can leave it hanging 1/2 out to secure the couch from being pushed back.
    The sliding glass door is the bigger problem. Although I'm on the 2nd floor it would not be hard to climb up from the patio railing below.
    First thing would be to run a bunch of 3" screws up from the bottom of the railing cap. 2nd I would run a bunch of screws thru pieces of plywood and lay out on the deck, then I'd put enough stuff on the deck to make it a, stumbling, tripping, climbing hassle to get thru to the door, i.e. deck chairs, BBQ, end tables, lamps, etc. Next I would screw our two book cases to the side of the building blocking the door from the outside.
    On the inside the by-pass closet doors would be screwed over the door, but leaving me a place I can see/shoot thru, finally strap our king bed the door. I'd use the queen guest bed and big coffee table to help fortify the wall at the kitchen pass thru window, which is my main defensive point.
    A few more scraps of screw laden plywood on hand to toss on the floor during an attempted breach.

My exit plan is a Sawzall, I have both corded and cordless. I can cut my out thru an end wall and make the 12' drop to the grass, go thru the back wall into that apt. or thru the floor to get to the apt. below.
    Impressive, -sounds like you're making the most of your resources. I wonder if spraying the railing below your patio with lithium grease would prevent people from climbing up.
    Lunatic Wrench likes this.

OK, here's my ultimate fantasy deterrent. And NO, I have never actually DONE this LOL so don't call me out.

I imagine a closed circuit cam system which does cover all vulnerable angles... with it's own power backup source.
    Long before things went south so very badly that hoodlums and looter thugs were now attacking my acreage, I would have identified (or created) obvious spots out in the surrounding perimeter which an aggressor would use for cover. A tree. The side of a barn. A big rock. Anything an aggressor would stand behind to return fire.

I would run PVC pipe with electrical cable about a foot underground to each location, with explosives/ball bearings at the end site.

In the house someone would man the monitor and the "Foley board"... basically a rack of buttons marked in tandem with the identified spots in the perimeter.

An aggressor runs to cover to avoid fire, and has gone right where you have prepared for him. Boom.

One RED button as a "broken arrow"... blows one every ten square feet to stop an attacking horde. I sunk your battleship!

No, it's not real practical... just having fun with it.
    phrogman likes this.

I live in a single story home. I will board the front windows and use one of the tables to block the front door. I will drill some holes big enough to peep through so I can keep my situational awareness. I do like the idea of setting up boards with some nails inside the perimeter of the yard. I have sensor lights around the back and sides of the house but I might take those down if SHTF goes on for an extended while. We will all be armed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by phrogman View Post
    I live in a single story home. I will board the front windows and use one of the tables to block the front door. I will drill some holes big enough to peep through so I can keep my situational awareness. I do like the idea of setting up boards with some nails inside the perimeter of the yard. I have sensor lights around the back and sides of the house but I might take those down if SHTF goes on for an extended while. We will all be armed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Why would you need to board up entire windows? Someone here once swore by that, but personally, I don't see the need for it.

How is someone going to get in if the bottom half of the window is covered, and you have a nail board attached to the top of that plywood with nails nails sticking straight up? If you're worried about rocks or Molotov cocktails, just cover the outside top half with secure cage wire. That way, you can see outside better, get better ventilation, and the mesh will allow for a gun barrel to fit through. Since it's all on the outside, you can also use your window and its screen. I'm trying to understand this, so if you see a problem with what I'm proposing, please explain it to me.

I assume that you're going to screw the table inside the front door to entirely block it off. May I suggest that you use a thick piece of plywood on the outside that would allow 1 person at a time to squeeze through, with the opening on the hinge side. If you use strong screws on the hinges, no one will be able to force that door open because they can't kick at the lock. This will allow you to only be able to open the door from the inside if you need it. I would attach the plywood using real metal screws, (not deck screws, which shear under pressure), and fender washers, -so no one can pry the boards off. If there's no electricity, you're also going to need a manual drill/screwdriver combination.

I can see that if the door has a hollow or weak core, you would need to cover the whole door to protect it. If you can, go with 1" pressure-treated plywood instead of the table; you might really need that table. A lot of apartment dwellers don't have any place to store the plywood you would need though.

Quote Originally Posted by StratMaster View Post
    OK, here's my ultimate fantasy deterrent. And NO, I have never actually DONE this LOL so don't call me out.

I imagine a closed circuit cam system which does cover all vulnerable angles... with it's own power backup source.
    Long before things went south so very badly that hoodlums and looter thugs were now attacking my acreage, I would have identified (or created) obvious spots out in the surrounding perimeter which an aggressor would use for cover. A tree. The side of a barn. A big rock. Anything an aggressor would stand behind to return fire.

I would run PVC pipe with electrical cable about a foot underground to each location, with explosives/ball bearings at the end site.

In the house someone would man the monitor and the "Foley board"... basically a rack of buttons marked in tandem with the identified spots in the perimeter.

An aggressor runs to cover to avoid fire, and has gone right where you have prepared for him. Boom.

One RED button as a "broken arrow"... blows one every ten square feet to stop an attacking horde. I sunk your battleship!

No, it's not real practical... just having fun with it.
    There goes the neighborhood!

P.S. I remember a past reply of yours that betrayed a certain fascination with explosives.
    Last edited by TGus; 05-29-2018 at 09:59 PM.
    StratMaster likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links