Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.
If this is your first visit, be sure to
check out the FAQ by clicking the
link above. You may have to register
before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
Exterior Home Passive Defense & Strategies
This is a discussion on Exterior Home Passive Defense & Strategies within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Defending our homes will be a major concern come SHTF. What I intend to discuss here are defenses placed on the exterior of a home ...
Exterior Home Passive Defense & Strategies
Defending our homes will be a major concern come SHTF. What I intend to discuss here are defenses placed on the exterior of a home and yard that do not involve active responses. Examples of passive defensive devices are nailboards or tanglefoot. I am not talking here about active measures taken by the home occupants on watch or in response to an incursion; I will start a thread about that later. What I’m hoping for in this thread is for us to share our best ideas with each other regarding passive detection & warning devices, intrusion deterrents, and exterior home reinforcement.
Among all the devices I intend to use, 2 categories are most important to me, -early warning of trespassing and making my home as impervious to forced entry as possible.
Early warning will be provided by the following methods:
1) On the outer perimeter, several tripwires alarmed by smoke detectors.
2) 4 battery-powered motion detectors covering each side of my house, including remotes inside my house).
3) 6 battery-powered motion activated lights covering paths of approach & egress at my property.
4) Tangle foot with small bells attached, hidden in tall grass throughout the yard.
5) Inductance touch alarms attached to the doorknob of each outer door.
6) A 24 hour house guard roaming the outside of the house.
7) Neighbor house guards will be required to sound a local alarm if they witness trespassing into neighbors’ properties.
8) I have a solar energy system that can be used to re-charge my batteries.
House hardening will be provided through the following construction:
1) The bottom half of all first floor and basement windows will be covered in 3/5ths inch pressure-treated plywood with spikes attached to the top. The remaining window area, including the upper windows, will be covered in stiff taut cage wire to allow for light, ventilation, observation, gun emplacement, and to prevent intentional window breakage.
2) My outer doors are made of metal, with metal frames, but swing inward. All screws have been replaced with 2 ½ inch non-shearable screws. They each have reinforced deadbolts and Medico locks which can’t be picked.
3) This summer, I plan to install steel barred screen doors outside my outer doors for extra protection, being able to speak with visitors behind safety, and house ventilation.
4) On the outside of each door, I will cover each door with 3/4th inch pressure-treated plywood, so that only one person can enter at a time through a slit, and place the plywood to expose the knob and lock of only the strongest door. The other doors will only be able to be opened from the inside.
5) I will reinforce all doors with removable struts at the top, middle, and bottom of the doors. These struts will fit tight against the door, to prevent any movement if someone tries to kick it in.
6) The porch in front of my front door will be painted with lithium grease, so that intruders will not have leverage to kick in the door. I will keep a hemp mat inside the house to use for escape.
7) My outer doors open into alcoves, so I am able to place hooks outside the swing of the door on the walls, so that a nylon net can be strung across them in case someone tries to break in. I will be able to shoot intruders from cover while they are inside my house trying to get past the net.
8) An adult with a gun will be in the first floor of the house at all times.
Other devices I will use
1) I have a nearly un-climbable high vinyl back yard fence, which I will also spray with lithium grease to make it more slippery.
2) Nailboards will be placed at any point where someone can climb or jump into my yard from a fence or wall.
3) Using my fence and pressure-treated plywood topped with spikes, I will be able to create a nearly impenetrable safe space in my back yard and garden.
These are some of my ideas. What devices and methods do you plan to use?
I live on a dead end road. Hopefully the neighbors will see the necessity of cooperating in local defense in a SHTF. Two cars sideways will block the road effectively. Dogs and sentrys will defend the back yard approaches. Signs on the cars warning that snipers protect the area may be a deterrence, but only to casual looters. Idealy we would have enough people to actually do that if gangs appeared, but keeping any large attacking groups away from the houses by overwhelming force at the barricades would be the best strategy. Single intruders can be handled on a homeowner by homeowner basis.
I've got some enhanced defensive measures in storage, but they aren't deployed because I don't want to live in a fortress. As always, steel doors, good locks, and alarms are in place. Your plans to install steel storm doors that open outward is a good one. I love mine and you would need a pickhead axe and time to get through one. In a SHTF sleeping in shifts with everyone else staying armed and alert with long guns would be required. It would be a shitty way to live.
P.S. Your plan to have a 24 hour roving guard outside will fall to a man with a deer gun, if they're serious about attacking you. I wouldn't volunteer for that duty. Hidden sentrys would be better, I think.
Last edited by sideKahr; 05-29-2018 at 12:08 PM.
I have a Moat and am Working on a Wall.
I have a "consumer" grade drone with GPS and auto take off/land that I have a live feed 4k camera attached to it.
You can see a LOT coming from 400' off the deck.
Alligators, piranhas, or Greek Fire.
Originally Posted by Malcom Renolds
Remember it will be very easy to burn someone out of a fortified position. Especially if you coat it with flammable material.
Also a patient sniper will quickly make short work of guards, dogs and sentries. Hiding and watching your routine to quietly remove the guards with a 22 and a silencer. Even a larger caliber rifle from a long distance. One bang flop and wait for the next poor sucker to draw the short straw.
I'm not trying to belittle you and you bring up viable concerns. Having run through many scenarios in my head. Haven't come up with realistic options that can't be easily defeated. Not wanting to waste time and resources on something that really just makes you feel safer. But in reality is just a small bump for a determined foe to over come. It will be interesting to see what people come up with.
Point being made, is I can see 100 yards into the forest from my deck.
I can see my deck from 200 yards into the forest.
A sniper could just wait for me to walk out to the car.
This is Osamas home in Pakistan:
Originally Posted by AquaHull
Notice the WALL.
It took "SEAL TEAM 6" to kill him.
They didnt use a sniper.
CONTROL the LOS.
A lot of the barricade descriptions sound fairly effective against a person on foot without heavy tools, but my first thought is that confronted with those types of defenses I would simply use a pickup truck or SUV with a wedged gas pedal if I wanted in.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." - James Mattis Hidden Content
Correction ,they used seal team 6 getting there. Everyday soldiers killed BG's in building with walls like that around it often.
Originally Posted by Malcom Renolds
New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.
Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
After reading this Obama said I am on it.
By Smitty901 in forum Hand to Hand Combat and Self Defense
Last Post: 04-08-2017, 08:10 AM
By Box of frogs in forum Shotguns
Last Post: 02-24-2015, 08:32 PM
By DerBiermeister in forum HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR
Last Post: 09-30-2014, 05:00 PM
By Doomsday in forum Shotguns
Last Post: 12-14-2013, 07:31 AM
By RuDown in forum General Prepper and Survival Talk
Last Post: 12-07-2012, 09:04 AM