Exterior Home Passive Defense & Strategies - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Exterior Home Passive Defense & Strategies

This is a discussion on Exterior Home Passive Defense & Strategies within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I have taken steps to harden my property as well as my house as a matter of course. Hardened doors, windows, well placed roses, new ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Exterior Home Passive Defense & Strategies

I have taken steps to harden my property as well as my house as a matter of course. Hardened doors, windows, well placed roses, new higher fencing, security alarms, and cameras but some of my preps do include more aggressive measures to be installed after an event. Razor wire, Barbed wire, traps of various designs, etc. My efforts in this area have increased lately. A determined assault or fire will do me in, but otherwise, I am going to make you pay to get at me and then pay if you get to me.
    RedLion, Slippy, Annie and 2 others like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    Ya' know, a guy doesn't have to look like your stereotyped interloper.

Two nights ago our doorbell rang, and my wife was hesitant to answer the door. I asked her why, and she remarked that "all the teenagers are standing too near the front door."

Granted, it seemed like a garden-variety act of selling chocolate bars for some school charity, but who knows in this modern world. I grabbed a knife, stood in front of the glass panel on the door, and without opening the door or flipping the lock, I asked them what they wanted. I heard a garbled mess, but just stated firmly, "No thank you." The gaggle left.

Now, two things. I can understand that in today's world kids are safer gathering sales if they are in a group. But I can also understand that a "gang of teenagers" might seem troublesome to senior citizens, after all, my wife's first impression was 'fear.'

And to my wife's credit, these kids were pressed very near the door, and not at a conversational distance.

So, was there really a chocolate sale for charity, or was this an attempt for a cockeyed home invasion? I'll never know, but we don't open the door anymore for someone we don't know.
    Pesky, right? If there's someone I don't want to talk to I let my dog out onto the front porch. He sees them on the steps and starts barking manically. Then I'll say, "I can't talk right now." and go back inside. But those Verizon people are persistent. They'll do the neighborhood then come back to my house. Second time I don't answer.

Put up signs and put in bear traps.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Pesky, right? If there's someone I don't want to talk to I let my dog out onto the front porch. He sees them on the steps and starts barking manically. Then I'll say, "I can't talk right now." and go back inside. But those Verizon people are persistent. They'll do the neighborhood then come back to my house. Second time I don't answer.
    Consider the ring doorbell. Now, you can see what's going on and tell them to get the hell off your porch without opening the door.
    Annie and dwight55 like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    Ya' know, a guy doesn't have to look like your stereotyped interloper.

Two nights ago our doorbell rang, and my wife was hesitant to answer the door. I asked her why, and she remarked that "all the teenagers are standing too near the front door."

Granted, it seemed like a garden-variety act of selling chocolate bars for some school charity, but who knows in this modern world. I grabbed a knife, stood in front of the glass panel on the door, and without opening the door or flipping the lock, I asked them what they wanted. I heard a garbled mess, but just stated firmly, "No thank you." The gaggle left.

Now, two things. I can understand that in today's world kids are safer gathering sales if they are in a group. But I can also understand that a "gang of teenagers" might seem troublesome to senior citizens, after all, my wife's first impression was 'fear.'

And to my wife's credit, these kids were pressed very near the door, and not at a conversational distance.

So, was there really a chocolate sale for charity, or was this an attempt for a cockeyed home invasion? I'll never know, but we don't open the door anymore for someone we don't know.

Dickens child thieving isn't anything new - and using kids to get the door open or lower your guard is something you can expect >>>> not an eazy to live with - but the military found out in Vietnam & Middle East that it was either the kids or them ...
    Mad Trapper likes this.
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

Big dogs.

I had one, a great big mutt I loved, that would on command "smile", bear his teeth but not growl.

Sic um.....well you know that.....

That old doggy was loyal and take on anything. Would take woodchucks and shake them until entrails fell out, them he would eat them. He got scratched by bears but never hurt.
    Annie likes this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Prepared One View Post
    Consider the ring doorbell. Now, you can see what's going on and tell them to get the hell off your porch without opening the door.
    Actually I have one. But the thing got disabled for some reason I've got to figure out how to get my phone back up and running in sync with the doorbell

Sent from my SM-S337TL using Tapatalk

My dog is a Bichon--but he has an attack dog. Vicious thing, while surprisingly supple, intelligent and loyal.

The Bichon trained him well, despite his questionable pedigree. We have no idea how many ethnic slices of Milwaukee it took to engender this glorious beast. But as trouble unfolds there is a guttural and yet swallowed rumble, and his sculptured thighs spring like an oaken shaft blasted by a taught length of catgut.

My wife has tried to train him, but she raised him since he was a child. Yes, in youth he was ruthless and conniving, then maudlin and petulant. Yet, the mongrel sleeps an angel's own countenance, playfully wrapped around the Bichon.

Sadly, he will one day have to be shot, certainly he is not going quietly. Strangely, the Hispanics hung an unusual name on him..."Little Boy"...
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Fortifying A Home

If you plan to shelter in place then inventory for some of the following projects and install when needed.​

Doors:

The purpose here is to slow down and confuse an intruder while you safely lay on the floor and shoot through the door.

First fortify the striker plate with longer screws or a heavier plate. Cost per door: $1 or $10

Add optional one or two Swing Latch Guards to each door. Cost per Latch $11

Strengthen hollow core door by covering the outside with OSB plywood. Cut a large square around the doorknob. Place screws around the edges of the door. Cost: $8

Deluxe option is to place sets of angle pieces (looks like shelf brackets), one on each side of the door, bend the bracket ends to hold a 2”X4” board that drops into place. Consider two sets per door. Cost per one set: $5

For Sliding Glass Doors,
    place broomstick in bottom track to keep from opening. Nail one-by boards vertically along the sides on the outside to keep persons from lifting doors our. Place an 18” strip of OSB plywood up high across both mid top and mid bottom, leaving one foot open across the top for light. Hang a curtain across the bottom of the Mid top piece so you can look through. Leave a large cutout in the bottom corner so you can open the door while someone crawls out; cover with curtain. Cost: $10

Windows:

The purpose here is to prevent an intruder from entering the smashed glass as well as to keep bullets from splattering glass on you, all while not allowing the intruder from seeing inside while you lay safely on the floor and shoot through the window.

For large front windows screw in 1/2” OSB plywood sheet over curtains so neighbors do not notice that you have something to protect. Leave one foot at top for light and one foot at bottom for air and lookout. Place screws across board so curtains can be propped open at bottom when needed. Cost $8​

Or, for large windows, cover with anti-smash clear film. Cost: $30

For smaller windows, screw 2”X4” board across middle of window to prevent entry. Cost: $1
    Last edited by jimcosta; 06-05-2019 at 03:18 PM.

12 Gauge Shotgun Alarm as a Porch Defender

You can purchase a 12 gauge shotgun alarm for $30 here

You will need to also purchase a 3/4 inch galvanized pipe about an inch longer than the shotgun shell you will be using to direct the shot.

When pointed down, the device is an alarm when the trip wire is activated. However, when aimed sideways, it is a weapon on your porch!

Several trip-wires can be added to the device: one to be tripped by the intruder and one to be run through the wall for you to activate yourself.

Want a Safety? Put a loop where all lines converge to fire the alarm. Hang the loop on a removable nail, with the nail tied to a line going into the house.
    This way Aunt Bee won't be shot if she brings a basket of fried chicken. Make certain none of the shot goes into the house.

If you can take out one intruder at the front door and his buddy at the back door for only $60, without exposing yourself, you are way ahead of the game!!

P.S. Purchase extra galvanized pipe pieces so you can reload quickly. You can look for the fallen pieces (within 2 feet) later in the daylight.
    Last edited by jimcosta; 06-05-2019 at 03:54 PM.
    Prepared One likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links