Exterior Home Passive Defense & Strategies - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Exterior Home Passive Defense & Strategies

This is a discussion on Exterior Home Passive Defense & Strategies within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by sideKahr @ TGus ... P.S. Your plan to have a 24 hour roving guard outside will fall to a man with a ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Exterior Home Passive Defense & Strategies

Quote Originally Posted by sideKahr View Post
    @TGus ...
    P.S. Your plan to have a 24 hour roving guard outside will fall to a man with a deer gun, if they're serious about attacking you. I wouldn't volunteer for that duty. Hidden sentrys would be better, I think.
    You've got a point there, but in a Boston suburb, I'll take my chances against "the man with a deer gun". There aren't many long guns in this area.
    sideKahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AquaHull View Post
    Point being made, is I can see 100 yards into the forest from my deck.

I can see my deck from 200 yards into the forest.

A sniper could just wait for me to walk out to the car.
    There's no practical defense a home can put up against a good patient sniper.
    sideKahr likes this.

I'd like to make a request to those of you who've been in the military, and haven't yet replied to this topic, to think of what needs to be said here for the benefit of us preppers who haven't had your training or experience. This is an important topic that might seem like second-nature to you, but, for the rest of us, what you know may not be so obvious, -and it may save our lives some day.
    Marica likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TGus View Post
    Defending our homes will be a major concern come SHTF. What I intend to discuss here are defenses placed on the exterior of a home and yard that do not involve active responses. .............. What devices and methods do you plan to use?
    TGus, . . . this is seriously a complicated problem to solve, . . . and that is being good to it in just saying it can be solved.

Truthfully, . . . there is no impregnable position, . . . no amount of hardening will work for the average joe like you and I, . . . the Germans of WW2 proved that. Concrete bunkers, with artillery pieces, . . . pillboxes, . . . etc. all fell prey to hand grenades, . . . flame throwers, . . . and GI ingenuity.

What you need to do is make your place "not appealing" to the rogues coming thru your neighborhood. Make your neighbor (that you don't like anyway) look more inviting.

Rose bushes, blackberry vines, and thorn trees planted under windows are good.

Big ugly dogs are good. Shutters that can be opened and closed, mechanically, from inside are good.

Either lots of light, . . . or no light around the place is also good. Some prefer one, . . . some another, . . . I like it dark. Makes the BG use light or night vision, . . . I'm prepared for either.

Some sort of night vision device should be on EVERYONE's radar.

This sounds hokey, . . . but a Cupola on your house roof, . . . with inside ladder access to it, . . . gives you 360 degree visibility, . . . and if the shutters are set at a proper angle, . . . you can see out real well, . . . but not be outlined by the opposite side.

May God bless,
    Dwight

Edited to add: High five to the comment about a patient sniper being able to defeat darn near any defenses. In 99% of the anticipates scenarios we see, . . . that guy is a serious threat that is almost impossible to curtail.
    Last edited by dwight55; 05-31-2018 at 09:15 PM.
    yooper_sjd and MountainGirl like this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by dwight55 View Post
    TGus, . . . this is seriously a complicated problem to solve, . . . and that is being good to it in just saying it can be solved.
    Dwight, I appreciate though that you're doing your best to help out, here, and at the other thread. Thank you for that. I wanted these topics to be general, so people could contribute what ever they know works. Those of us who don't know should listen to what you "guys" think is important.

Quote Originally Posted by dwight55 View Post

Truthfully, . . . there is no impregnable position, . . . no amount of hardening will work for the average joe like you and I, . . . the Germans of WW2 proved that. Concrete bunkers, with artillery pieces, . . . pillboxes, . . . etc. all fell prey to hand grenades, . . . flame throwers, . . . and GI ingenuity.

What you need to do is make your place "not appealing" to the rogues coming thru your neighborhood. Make your neighbor (that you don't like anyway) look more inviting.

Rose bushes, blackberry vines, and thorn trees planted under windows are good.

Big ugly dogs are good. Shutters that can be opened and closed, mechanically, from inside are good.

Either lots of light, . . . or no light around the place is also good. Some prefer one, . . . some another, . . . I like it dark. Makes the BG use light or night vision, . . . I'm prepared for either.

Some sort of night vision device should be on EVERYONE's radar.

This sounds hokey, . . . but a Cupola on your house roof, . . . with inside ladder access to it, . . . gives you 360 degree visibility, . . . and if the shutters are set at a proper angle, . . . you can see out real well, . . . but not be outlined by the opposite side.

May God bless,
    Dwight

Edited to add: High five to the comment about a patient sniper being able to defeat darn near any defenses. In 99% of the anticipates scenarios we see, . . . that guy is a serious threat that is almost impossible to curtail.

if that "not appealing" includes barricaded doors & windows - you got it - a defended hard nut in an entire crapload of soft shell peanuts gives you a degree of protection ....
    dwight55 likes this.
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

well, the low stone wall around my house keeps vehicles from ramming on through, 3 foot high, 10 inches thick mortar and limestone. Agave cactus growing along wall and spreading (this is fast growing type) one in my pic here is 6 yrs old, need to prune once a yr. Got prickley pear growing down hill of the house a the south side of property on a steep incline. I use as much natural deterrence as I can. You can not ever have a secure position unless you are in an old Nuke comms bunker or launch site that people are buying. Even then the maintenance on them is high priced to bring back up to par (generators, fuel, air filters, air scrubbers, spare parts). Best you can do is make it as hard as you can to make someone think about pain to get in there, and is it really worth it. You look too hardened; "Oh look, they must have something good in there to protect. Lets take it." Or more passive looking with natural defenses as Dwight pointed out. If it comes down to it, I will die on a pile of hot brass.

Exterior Home Passive Defense & Strategies-054.jpg

Cacti, very large cacti by each window.
    yooper_sjd likes this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

https://www.backdoorsurvival.com/man...comment-211700

decent enough article to waste some coffee sipping time on .....
    Prepared One likes this.
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

Ya' know, a guy doesn't have to look like your stereotyped interloper.

Two nights ago our doorbell rang, and my wife was hesitant to answer the door. I asked her why, and she remarked that "all the teenagers are standing too near the front door."

Granted, it seemed like a garden-variety act of selling chocolate bars for some school charity, but who knows in this modern world. I grabbed a knife, stood in front of the glass panel on the door, and without opening the door or flipping the lock, I asked them what they wanted. I heard a garbled mess, but just stated firmly, "No thank you." The gaggle left.

Now, two things. I can understand that in today's world kids are safer gathering sales if they are in a group. But I can also understand that a "gang of teenagers" might seem troublesome to senior citizens, after all, my wife's first impression was 'fear.'

And to my wife's credit, these kids were pressed very near the door, and not at a conversational distance.

So, was there really a chocolate sale for charity, or was this an attempt for a cockeyed home invasion? I'll never know, but we don't open the door anymore for someone we don't know.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links