SW Idaho, SW Missouri or Panhandle Florida? Asking advice
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on SW Idaho, SW Missouri or Panhandle Florida? Asking advice within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; SW Idaho, SW Missouri or Panhandle Florida? Iíve nailed down three places once I retire, I know vast differences but thought I would get insight, ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: SW Idaho, SW Missouri or Panhandle Florida? Asking advice

SW Idaho, SW Missouri or Panhandle Florida?

Iíve nailed down three places once I retire, I know vast differences but thought I would get insight, advice on these three areas? Iíve lived or visited all of these areas but never long enough to get a insiders idea from the prepper / homestead view. (Plus it has been at least 10 yrs from the last time I have been in these areas.)

The plan is to live far enough that the kids can weekend at home and attend college during the week. Wife is a Vet tech and wants to start owning chickens, rabbitís goats that sort of small livestock. I agree that getting off the local grocery store thinking would be good for the family. I grew up hunting, fishing and camping plus growing gardens and very curious to try the hydroponics / greenhouse.

I do hunt, fish and very much a pro-2A, founders mentality, so politics do factor into my choices.

Any advice pro or negative is greatly appreciated.

Super Moderator

Judging by the next to last sentence, move on down the the panhandle. We'll have coffee.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Ha, don't listen to him. I hate SW Idaho unless your talking bigger town like twin falls. Look to places Like Dillon Mt, not far from SW Idaho We got coffee. and plenty of snow to make water for Coffee, Silly Denton
    Denton likes this.
    Im memory of my brother and fellow Marine, Semper Fidelis. Rest well my friend

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

It doesn't seem like you can make a bad decision. If it were me, it would depend on the weather. Personally I like it cooler.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

It can get rough around here. You may need to change up your prep plan. Here 4x4 is necessary not ok. Cords of wood and another heat source are a must. Along with heavy blankets if you consider electricity as your alt energy. So choose wisely Grasshopper
    paraquack likes this.
    Im memory of my brother and fellow Marine, Semper Fidelis. Rest well my friend

Boy, howdy, Jeep. Bitterroot '91-2000. Mountains of firewood. I do miss that good burning easy splitting larch.

Super Moderator

I wouldn't go for SW ID for sure, but maybe farther north. It's awfully nice up in northern ID if snow doesn't bother you.
    dannydefense likes this.

Dillon MT is a beautiful little place and would be great from a live stock stand point. The weather can get nasty but as long as your prepare properly it's not bad. The cost of living is pretty low as well and the locals are nice. I lived there for 5 years just moved recently to finish school. I may move back one day if employment takes me back that way.

Senior Member R.I.P.

There is still rural land to be had at a reasonable price in the panhandle. Gets cold some winters but no snow or ice to drive on per se. If there is some bad cold usually warmed up in a few days.

With a small greenhouse you can get seeds started early & transplant & end up with two growing seasons. Then use the greenhouse threw the winter to have fresh tomatoes.

You would have ready access to both fresh & salt water fishing. Plus there's the crab, shrimp, etc.

Watch out for low land for flooding during storms.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Ha, don't listen to him. I hate SW Idaho unless your talking bigger town like twin falls. Look to places Like Dillon Mt, not far from SW Idaho We got coffee. and plenty of snow to make water for Coffee, Silly Denton
    Hey, what if the S doesn't hit the fan in our lifetime?

We gotz beachez and bikiniz!
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links