SW Idaho, SW Missouri or Panhandle Florida? Asking advice - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

SW Idaho, SW Missouri or Panhandle Florida? Asking advice

This is a discussion on SW Idaho, SW Missouri or Panhandle Florida? Asking advice within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Kur0n Dillon MT is a beautiful little place and would be great from a live stock stand point. The weather can get ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: SW Idaho, SW Missouri or Panhandle Florida? Asking advice

Quote Originally Posted by Kur0n View Post
    Dillon MT is a beautiful little place and would be great from a live stock stand point. The weather can get nasty but as long as your prepare properly it's not bad. The cost of living is pretty low as well and the locals are nice. I lived there for 5 years just moved recently to finish school. I may move back one day if employment takes me back that way.
    May I suggest you change your priorities. You should never base anything "important" in life for job, IMO. Jobs are a dime a dozen and so are employees. Quality of life and family should take precedence over a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    May I suggest you change your priorities. You should never base anything "important" in life for job, IMO. Jobs are a dime a dozen and so are employees. Quality of life and family should take precedence over a job.
    I totally agree. I only mention the employment part because currently I am not at a place in life that I think I could get a start in Dillon. While I love the place I don't think I would be able to make a life there with my wife until I finished school and had some money saved up to get a place there.

Hence why I don't factor the job in too much, I am retiring from the military so that small check won't cover everything but I can do most anything with a smile on my face after military life.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Well, since this a prepper forum I'm going to assume that you are thinking about doing some prepping. Personally, I think the Florida panhandle is not a great location. It may be relative to the rest of Florida, but you are still pretty close to large populations, not to mention hurricanes, and so on. So there is a trade-off going that route. Your other choices seem better from my perspective as long-term prepper spots. Just my opinion.
    jimb1972 likes this.

I actually live east of Dillon, but this place has a lot to offer, mountains rivers streams etc. World class fishing and game. Winter is just a part of the trade.
    Im memory of my brother and fellow Marine, Semper Fidelis. Rest well my friend

Worked in s/w Missouri in the mid 70's, I loved it and the people I met were always friendly and helpful. But I have lived in the Panhandle for the last 30years ( with occasional pilgrimages to Tennessee) and I really like it here. The only thing I would change is to be more rural than where I am now. Missouri will get you some snow in the winter if you like that but 10 months out of the year the Panhandle is great and it's not the winter that sucks Its August and September. Man it was hot this year, or maybe age is making me feel it a little more.
    jimb1972 likes this.

Given your stated priorities and intentions, you might consider eastern Ohio. Surprisingly for one of the 'eastern' states, it fits a lot of your requirements. There are LOTS of farms and rural areas. Heck, the area I'm in doesn't even have zoning laws. Lets see, lots of hunting, fishing, colleges not too far away, summers not very hot, a d winters not too cold. Your wife could find a vet job in no time. The only thing more in demand is nurses. A place to live is easy to find. Farms go up for auction every year. There are cities, too, but I avoid those unless medically necessary (like a visit to Dunkin Donuts). There's something else that helps keep me afloat- low cost of living.

As for your list, all I can do is give you my feeling on them. Florida panhandle- nice climate, if you don't mind a hurricane butting in now and then. Missouri- Flat. Then more flat. And a river that floods way too often. Then hope the ice caps don't melt further. SW Idaho... what is there to say? Ice age winters, right next to yellowstone, several mountainous tendencies that are sure to take the fun out of travel, but at least the scenery is nice.
    Last edited by thepeartree; 10-07-2014 at 06:44 PM.
    Jeep likes this.
    I wouldn't want to be part of any organization that would allow me to be a member.

In Memorium
    Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Quote Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
    SW Idaho, SW Missouri or Panhandle Florida?

I’ve nailed down three places once I retire, I know vast differences but thought I would get insight, advice on these three areas? I’ve lived or visited all of these areas but never long enough to get a insiders idea from the prepper / homestead view. (Plus it has been at least 10 yrs from the last time I have been in these areas.)

The plan is to live far enough that the kids can weekend at home and attend college during the week. Wife is a Vet tech and wants to start owning chickens, rabbit’s goats that sort of small livestock. I agree that getting off the local grocery store thinking would be good for the family. I grew up hunting, fishing and camping plus growing gardens and very curious to try the hydroponics / greenhouse.

I do hunt, fish and very much a pro-2A, founders mentality, so politics do factor into my choices.

Any advice pro or negative is greatly appreciated.
    To borrow a pertinent paraphrase from Uncle Davvy Crockett..
    "Yall can go to heck ..I am going to Texas." Best hurry the border aint going to be open for much longer.

I was stationed at Corpus, that border issues isn't getting sorted out any time soon....

Well it looks like MO won out, getting close to making a cement choice and 4 seasons did have a lot to do with it. I was reminded how much I hate a warm winter. I also like the location access to TN, AK an the other surrounding states. I ride a Harley and looking forward to a few sturgis runs, I'll have a lot more time to travel out and hunt, so FL dropped off the list and ID, well not enough of a growing season killed off ID. Plus I discovered this little gem of information....

What's New?

Military Service Member Exemption
    For the tax year beginning January 1, 2013, 60 percent of a military pension income will be exempt from Missouri state tax. This tax deduction will increase 15 percent annually until January 1, 2016, when all military pension income will be tax free. Pension Exemption may be taken on the Form MO-1040, MO-A, Part 3, Section D.

Not bad if I do say so myself.

Now its time to get serious and look for some land and a house.. lol

Thanks for all the advice, this plus other sources made it easier to weed past the usual stuff.
    Jeep, jimb1972 and TG like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links