What If (expanded with disabilities) ??????
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on What If (expanded with disabilities) ?????? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Ok, TGus put up a thread few weeks back on "What If". I did some searching (To keep Skippy off my ass) pun intended! Now ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: What If (expanded with disabilities) ??????

Ok, TGus put up a thread few weeks back on "What If". I did some searching (To keep Skippy off my ass) pun intended! Now not everyone's idea of prepping is the same, and in the past few days I kinda revealed my prepping style in various other topics. With my wife's situation, there really is no bugging out unless absolutely required. My wife had a mild stroke yrs back, left side impairment in left extremities. Uses a walker or cane for aided mobility outside home. In the home the Furniture is located strategically to help support her while she gets around the house. Her version of running is my version of fast walk. (Now you are getting an idea of where I am going here.)

As I have pointed out when I 1st started posting here in the forum, I am a 20 yr navy veteran (Gunnersmate), 18 yrs experience as a military small arms instructor. Responsible for ships defense force/training of same. My wife is an expert shot at 25 yrds with her .22 LR pistol, always keeps it close at hand when I am not home and or running errands. Showed her how she can handle our 12 gage pump with OO buck here in the home, by bracing the 12 off her hip, and butt up against a peice of furniture or wall (p.s. she weighs 104 lbs soaking wet).

I myself have taken into thought the process of how are we going to handle things if even myself came into such a handicap of which my wife has adapted too. I still keep practicing my weak/strong hand shooting. I already have a handy cap shooting with my strong hand (16 yrs ago, I took off half my thumb in a table saw accident) and have since adapted my shooting technic for operating semi-auto firearms that require a full thumb for reaching the safeties, magazine release. Yes I know you can get ambidextrous mag releases/safeties, but that does not help someone like myself if I need to use someone elses weapon weapons. So I refused to pamper myself by doing this to my weapons.

Just wondering if anyone else has taken into consideration of how you would get around, and defend yourself and property if you became wounded/handicapped in a life/death situation??????

Super Moderator

I have thought about it but have not put much thought into it. Good question to ask though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

Lots of possible handicaps. Physical and mental. First is to decide what they actually are. Then what you have and what you need to accomplish. At that point you can find things that do not match and work on solutions. Hard to have a solution when there is no problem or an unknown severity.
    MountainGirl likes this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

The Good Cop

My wife is 72 and partially disabled. Has been for decades.
    I'm 70 and have some mobility issues as well.
    We live in a rural area, so no concern about "bugging out". We are already here.
    Short of a widespread collapse of law and order we will be OK.
    yooper_sjd, Gunn, RedLion and 3 others like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Camel923 View Post
    Lots of possible handicaps. Physical and mental. First is to decide what they actually are. Then what you have and what you need to accomplish. At that point you can find things that do not match and work on solutions. Hard to have a solution when there is no problem or an unknown severity.
    This is true, like any type of prepping scenario, there are too many what ifs. I was trying not emulate the "Dear Teacher" put up a short novel. My back goes out hard once a yr, even I am forced to use a walker for months when that happens. What about pain control??? I heard about Opium Lettuce last yr on this very same forum. I also was put cold turkey by the VA on my pain meds they had me on for over 15 yrs. I went through the withdrawals on my own, but was still going days on end with very little sleep because of the pain. Fortunately here in my spot of texas, I have found wild lettuce to be even drought resistant and grows alittle stubby through the fall, winter, and spring. And I have found it works pretty damned well. With the dismal spring rain we have so far, they are still coming up, but stunted growing right now.... ready to start a grind them down, and boil the tar out of them(literally).

Really not too much more to prep for, Broken leg or arm?? I got a stash of ductape that would make any redneck blush and hardware cloth cut to various lengths and widths for splint material. Our little area has a few Veterinarians and Doctors within 5 miles.
    I have a decent trauma kit built up, antibiotcs, medical stapler, various size suture kits, ect. Hell I even got a piece of 3/4 ply cut out for a backboard with hand holds in it! But as you stated too many handicaps. What if someone is missing an arm? They can get by as lookout no? missing leg/legs?? Hell my Army freind with the bunker in KS gets around in a wheel chair, and lives in Florida. This is about the time yr he goes there to stock stuff up.

My whole point is people don'g think ahead about this what if. If you yourself, or someone know has had the mindset to overcome and adapt, how did they do it??? My wifes ex lost a leg, he about gave up mentally was doing drugs and died from his attitude and a collapse lung in a hotel room.

Even just more on the subtle side, how do you prep for someone that is handicapped?? Requires O2 at home? How do you provide O2 in the long run? I am just looking at how other people may think ahead, and or how they do it. I already know if ya got the dough you can bottles of O2 at a welding supply place. May not be medical grade, but it will work in a pinch. I got friends in the area that are prepper minded, one family the wife has MS they are working on prepping plans for her and he is also a nurse with whom I get most of my medical supplies. Prepper helping prepper I guess you can say we barter with our items/skills that we have.

Look into a 20ga semi auto. Less recoil and pretty much the same effect.

It's great that your thinking ahead. Just realize it will be survival of the fittest once the SHTF. Lots of people will die whether they deserve to or not. Some will take the easy way out, which may be the best thing. Especially if it destroys the whole family or groups chances and resources for one person. I know its not what you want to hear but try to be realistic in your planning and expectations.
    yooper_sjd and MountainGirl like this.

I ascribe to the Press Maravich Training Regiment. In other words, I have tried to learn and do as many things Off Handed as I can Dominate Handed. I may never be as good a shot Off Handed as I am Dominant Handed but I certainly am adequate.

One drill that always cracks me up is the "Wipe Your Hind Parts With Your Off Hand". Sounds easy but give it a try!
    yooper_sjd and Ragnarök like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    I ascribe to the Press Maravich Training Regiment. In other words, I have tried to learn and do as many things Off Handed as I can Dominate Handed. I may never be as good a shot Off Handed as I am Dominant Handed but I certainly am adequate.

One drill that always cracks me up is the "Wipe Your Hind Parts With Your Off Hand". Sounds easy but give it a try!
    Are you turning Islamic on us? Say it ain’t so.
    Slippy likes this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    Look into a 20ga semi auto. Less recoil and pretty much the same effect.

It's great that your thinking ahead. Just realize it will be survival of the fittest once the SHTF. Lots of people will die whether they deserve to or not. Some will take the easy way out, which may be the best thing. Especially if it destroys the whole family or groups chances and resources for one person. I know its not what you want to hear but try to be realistic in your planning and expectations.
    oh it will be survival of the fittest, If i gotta go, it will be ontop of a pile of hot smoking brass

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post

Believe it or not, I do use my off hand. Oh, and my ex is arab. So yes i wipe with off hand

and yes I can swear like a sailor in arabic as well as spanish, italian (loosing they italian been almost 30 yrs since I spoke any of that), and some philipino........
    Slippy likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links