What If (expanded with disabilities) ?????? - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

What If (expanded with disabilities) ??????

This is a discussion on What If (expanded with disabilities) ?????? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Of course, I'm going to make an appearance here. I don't know what it's like for you guys, but from replies I've read since joining ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: What If (expanded with disabilities) ??????

Of course, I'm going to make an appearance here.

I don't know what it's like for you guys, but from replies I've read since joining here, it seems like a lot of you are under-manpowered if one or more of you are disabled for whatever reason. I admire those of you who practice to be ambidextrous, and try to find different ways to do each necessary thing. But, as some of you have pointed out, that can only take you so far.

It seems to me that having a mutually-supporting "tribe" around you is the only way to make up for severe disabilities and weaknesses. For example, I don't see how a house can be properly guarded and defended over the long-term by less than 4 capable persons. If you can't scrape that many people together in one house, you've got to get people to come live with you during SHTF, or plan to go live with others.

As an example, besides having my capable wife and two 18+ daughters living with me, I'm renting to 5 other adults in my home. Come SHTF, you can bet I'm going to collect my rent through my tenants' work.

Quote Originally Posted by TGus View Post

As an example, besides having my capable wife and two 18+ daughters living with me, I'm renting to 5 other adults in my home. Come SHTF, you can bet I'm going to collect my rent through my tenants' work.
    Now that right there makes no sense to rent out too 5 other adults living in your home. reasons why: #1 Your two teenage daughters!!!!!! #2 Who says that when SHTF those 5 adults just don't off you and your wife, and keep your daughters for entertainment!!!!!!

FAMILY ALWAYS COMES 1ST, Then Close freinds. Renters, get the booted when it is SHTF, especially when living in the Boston burbs!!!!!!!! Every day prepping guy, always look out for you and yours 1st!!! All you looking for there is great greenbacked dollar with 5 renters

The Good Cop

All I can say is there is a huge difference between a "Boston suburb" and the piney woods of rural North Florida/South Georgia.

The people are nicer, too.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Of course, I'm going to make an appearance here.

I don't know what it's like for you guys, but from replies I've read since joining here, it seems like a lot of you are under-manpowered if one or more of you are disabled for whatever reason. I admire those of you who practice to be ambidextrous, and try to find different ways to do each necessary thing. But, as some of you have pointed out, that can only take you so far.

It seems to me that having a mutually-supporting "tribe" around you is the only way to make up for severe disabilities and weaknesses. For example, I don't see how a house can be properly guarded and defended over the long-term by less than 4 capable persons. If you can't scrape that many people together in one house, you've got to get people to come live with you during SHTF, or plan to go live with others.

I think it's absolutely wonderful that Boston is filled with like minded preppers. I also think you are really good at what you do especially since you told us you could build and entire cabin in the wilderness before dinner was served.

But in my part of the world, prepping is not something people do. Trying to find other like minded people here is like looking for a needle in a hay stack. I'm on my own. My wife tolerates my prepping but will help with a few things. You start talking to people about this and you get 2 things. The govt will be there too assist and your a whacko for even thinking otherwise. Recent history disproves this notion but people tend to ignore that the govt assisting in disasters is a disaster itself.

I'm sure that will change if things do go bad. Then I'll have to make decisions by the seat of my pants on who to help or not. But, until that time, it's me on my own.
    yooper_sjd likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by inceptor View Post
    I think it's absolutely wonderful that Boston is filled with like minded preppers. I also think you are really good at what you do especially since you told us you could build and entire cabin in the wilderness before dinner was served.

But in my part of the world, prepping is not something people do. Trying to find other like minded people here is like looking for a needle in a hay stack. I'm on my own. My wife tolerates my prepping but will help with a few things. You start talking to people about this and you get 2 things. The govt will be there too assist and your a whacko for even thinking otherwise. Recent history disproves this notion but people tend to ignore that the govt assisting in disasters is a disaster itself.

I'm sure that will change if things do go bad. Then I'll have to make decisions by the seat of my pants on who to help or not. But, until that time, it's me on my own.
    I'm sorry for you predicament, inceptor. It's one a lot of us share.

I think you're right; people won't come to their senses until they get slapped in the face with SHTF, -if even then. Grouping together should probably be your goal AFTER SHTF.

At least a third of my neighbors are Chinese families. The Chinese are very apolitical and practical people. A lot of them or their parents have already gone through SHTF, so they know how to get through it. If I talk with them about SHTF, they agree it could come, and they don't believe the government is going to help them much, -just like in China. So they naturally prepare for hard times as part of their lifestyle. You should see all the stuff and food they accumulate in their houses! They prep without knowing anything about the prepper movement.

BTW: I don't build a cabin when I camp at the Appalachians for a week. It's a rough hut, with a slight incline on the roof, and a tarp and branches over that. It's comfortable, wind, predator, and rain-proof; nothing elaborate.
    Ragnarök likes this.

I think you're right; people won't come to their senses until they get slapped in the face with SHTF, -if even then. Grouping together should probably be your goal AFTER SHTF.

At least a third of my neighbors are Chinese families. The Chinese are very apolitical and practical people. A lot of them or their parents have already gone through SHTF, so they know how to get through it. If I talk with them about SHTF, they agree it could come, and they don't believe the government is going to help them much, -just like in China. So they naturally prepare for hard times as part of their lifestyle. You should see all the stuff and food they accumulate in their houses! They prep without knowing anything about the prepper movement.

BTW: I don't build a cabin when I camp at the Appalachians for a week. It's a rough hut, with a slight incline on the roof, and a tarp and branches over that. It's comfortable, wind, predator, and rain-proof; nothing elaborate.
    I don't ever remember Uncle Mao apologizing to the families of all the people he terminated spreading his ideology of the perfect society????

I am starting to have some impairment issues,I am going to be on a cane soon probably.wife has back and shoulder issues,I have three bulging discs and some pretty severe pain recently.not bugging out.I keep all the safeties off and all the mags loaded(no kids).glad the AR's can be fired one handed.I can shoot ambi when I need too.practice,practice,practice.
    TOUGH TIMES DONT LAST,TOUGH PEOPLE DO.

One thing I have learned is that getting old is not for sissies.

Quote Originally Posted by yooper_sjd View Post
    I don't ever remember Uncle Mao apologizing to the families of all the people he terminated spreading his ideology of the perfect society????
    And you won't hear Uncle Sam doing it either.

Was invited to a Korean home not long ago. I saw dried fruit and dried mushrooms in large jars and a big 25lb bag of rice on the kitchen floor. That was all in the open too. Got fed odd fresh fruit I never had before and a steak cooked in coconut oil...was delicious.

I agree with you Tgus about community and sticking together.
    “What could I say to you that would be of value, except that perhaps you seek too much, that as a result of your seeking you cannot find.”
    ― Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links