Emergency Mylar Blanket Question
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Emergency Mylar Blanket Question within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Hello, I have a great poncho / poncho liner combo that fit together nicely. I also have tinkered with and come up with a great ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Emergency Mylar Blanket Question

Hello,

I have a great poncho / poncho liner combo that fit together nicely. I also have tinkered with and come up with a great way to integrate a mylar blanket in between and it gets quite toasty. Essentially I push a little of the mylar through each eyelet, stick an almost weightless mini wine bottle cork there and use the shoe laces on the poncho liner to tie around the mylar / cork to tie the three components together. It makes a great emergency bivvy.

Here is my question - since I have a long, walk home (40 miles), I am trying to plan for being cold and thought of having a second mylar blanket with a hole cut in the middle, so I can wear the whole contraption to keep warm while walking, or if it is pouring and I need to hunker down wearing the three layers as just a poncho, not a bivvy. I have never cut a hole in one; if I cut it in the middle, I suspect that it is going to easily rip, similar to a potato chip bag or something that gets a tear in it. I thought of cutting the hole, then encasing the whole circumference of the hole with masking or electrical tape to prevent further "running on the hole" and ruining the damn thing completely. Have any of you ever punched a hole in one and if so, are my suspicions correct?

BTW - last night we had Friday evening cocktails at the office and I invited one of my customers who has bought over $100k in software from me. We closed the place down and after all of my co-workers left, we realized that we are both preppers. Small world....

Thanks,

hansonb4
    TG, Jeep and Inor like this.

Hanson,

Good idea on integrating the mylar blanket. Very thoughtful. My suggestions since mylar blankies are pretty cheap, buy one, cut a hole and see what it does.

However, I am more interested in the fact that your company had Friday evening cocktails at the office. Do companies do this anymore? I would think that liability issues have all but banned the office cocktail party. This brings me back to the '80's when people smoked at their desks and the executives walked around pinching secretary's asses. Way to go sir!
    TG, Zed and Old SF Guy like this.

I accidentally poked a hole in one during a trial run. In my experience the hole will cause the blanket to tear at the slightest pressure. The tape thing may work though. Just try it out and see.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

gorilla tape both sides
    Hidden Content

First Aid Supplies and More!!
    Hidden Content
    DERMA-REDI.com

Quote Originally Posted by Arklatex View Post
    I accidentally poked a hole in one during a trial run. In my experience the hole will cause the blanket to tear at the slightest pressure. The tape thing may work though. Just try it out and see.

You already poked a hole in it. That should tell you what a worthless POC these Mylar sheets are in the field. I have demonstrated to a number people on how worthless and how they tend to give people false expectations; a potentially dangerous situation. If you want to stay warm and dry, get a water resistant coat to use with your poncho.
    "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of those that threaten it."
    The United States Navy

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
    Theodore Roosevelt

Zed

hansonb4 can you attach a pic of your poncho thinggy

Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post
    hansonb4 can you attach a pic of your poncho thinggy
    Zed - I will but I can't do it today. Soccer tournament for one of my high schoolers and then a 50th bday party for a neighbor for whom I need to buy a present. More cocktails...

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    However, I am more interested in the fact that your company had Friday evening cocktails at the office. Do companies do this anymore? I would think that liability issues have all but banned the office cocktail party. This brings me back to the '80's when people smoked at their desks and the executives walked around pinching secretary's asses. Way to go sir!
    It is a small software company of about 50 people and our owners have styled the business like a silicon valley start-up. This means, a fully stocked fridge with sodas, all sorts of snack food such as candy bars, chips, ramen in a cup (good prepper food at ~$.40 each, btw), a ping pong table, foozball, and cocktails every Friday night from 5-7 pm. Oh yeah, besides the inevitable ping pong and foozball tournaments, there is Halo, Black Ops, Guitar Hero and all that stuff. So, it is pretty fun but like I said it is in the city where I always feel uncomfortable. When I drive home on the side streets and then onto the expressway, I am always looking for wayward places to hide / spend the night in a SHTF scenario.

Lay the blanket out flat, tape a square around the area yo want to cut. Cut the hole, turn it over and tape the other side. Just a suggestion.
    Im memory of my brother and fellow Marine, Semper Fidelis. Rest well my friend

Great idea Jeep. The other thing would be to tape two sheets together on three side, crawl inside, add an oxygen absorber and seal the fourth side.
    Jeep, Arklatex, MrsInor and 1 others like this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links