~Beer+Ale, Aging and Prime Selection Record~
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on ~Beer+Ale, Aging and Prime Selection Record~ within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I love beer! I love ales! I started this thread to share with you all some of my in process methods of storing beer and ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By

Thread: ~Beer+Ale, Aging and Prime Selection Record~

I love beer! I love ales! I started this thread to share with you all some of my in process methods of storing beer and ale for consumption years down the road. I welcome any knowledge on the matter as I am by no means an expert. Here are some insights into storing beer and ale.

1. Selection of the beer or ale is vital to it aging well. For instance you cannot age a bud light or many other American massed produced beers. Specialty beers and ales are the way to go. The higher the alcohol content the longer they last. Three of my favorite ales that are carried in most well stocked grocery stores are Belhaven 5.20% ABV , Maredsous triple 10.00% ABV , and Delirium Tremens 8.50% ABV. So pick your favorite ales and beers and let me know so I can try them!

2. Light is your enemy when it comes to storage. Just like with food the light degenerates the quality of the product quickly. Store in a dark cellar rather than a fridge. I wrap my bottles in tin foil so much light cannot enter into the bottle when I enter the cellar for a dose or organize whatnot. Look for bottles that are dark brown. Brown bottles are chosen by me because they do not allow as much light to enter.

3. The higher the alcohol content the higher the storage temperature. The best temperature range is between 50 and 60 degrees Fahrenheit. Freezing the beer and ale will change the structure of the cells and affect the overall taste negatively. Fridges are too cold for long term storage. Temperature extremes negatively affect the taste of the product.

4. The seal must be air tight so for bottles I dip the tops in melted wax. this also prevents the metal caps from rusting or deteriorating.

5. Long term container material of choice is glass.

6. Position of the bottle itself will be upright so that the sediment gathers at the bottom of the vessel. Over time the liquid being in contact with the metal cap can leech negative taste..the same goes for cork.

Note: some ales and beers can last up to 25 years or longer .. I recently read an article about a sunken ship near Finland that carried cases of champagne and beer on board that were from the early 18th century. The divers drank both and described them as being perfectly preserved. The beer still had foamy froth! Now that is impressive.
    Denton and Slippy like this.

Great info, thank you sir!

ur most welcome ^^

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Excellent!

Sponsored Links