Grasshoppers
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Grasshoppers

This is a discussion on Grasshoppers within the Gardening forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; What effective organic methods, if any, have y'all used to control grasshoppers? I don't have chickens, so that's not an option. They've destroyed my carrots, ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Grasshoppers

Grasshoppers

What effective organic methods, if any, have y'all used to control grasshoppers? I don't have chickens, so that's not an option. They've destroyed my carrots, broccoli, brussels sprouts and kale.

I found instructions for a trap that uses jars half filled with a water-molasses solution. Has anyone every tried this? I'll probably try nolo bait for next year.
    Michael_Js and Slippy like this.

Super Moderator

I've just been smashing them as I see them. Little a-holes ate my sunflowers.

We have some praying mantis that probably help. You can buy them at some stores (I've seen them at Lowe's) to help with bug control.
    Michael_Js and paulag1955 like this.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

Ate dried grasshoppers seasoned with smokey paprika in Africa years back. Went nicely with ice cold beer.

Crush garlic into a paste add water put in spray bottle. Mist leaves.

Godspeed
    paulag1955, hawgrider and Slippy like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

You tried Spinosad? Doesn't kill immediately but will kill anything that eats a treated plant.
    Mad Trapper likes this.

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Chocolate covered baked grasshoppers?
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields
    You can find me at the Hidden Content

I've eaten fried grasshoppers and enjoy them. Cajun Seasoning if I recall!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    You tried Spinosad? Doesn't kill immediately but will kill anything that eats a treated plant.
    Have you used it for grasshopper control? It sounds like it might not be effective against them.

I did some reading on grasshoppers. We don't get too many here, once every 5+ years I see them but they never get to the point of devouring everything.

No info I've found on spinosad, might be worth a try?

Suggested control is to get them were the eggs are developing, several suggested sprays that disrupt the process of maturation. It did not mention neem, but that might be effective? Not sure how to locate egg laying areas?.And grasshoppers are very mobile so that might not be feasible.

There was two biologic controls. One works like BT. The grasshoppers eat it and the organisim grows inside the grasshopper killing it. Probably hard to find a source. It mentioned that it causes the grasshopper to climb the plants they are feeding on, where they remain until dead.

Neem might be worth a shot as an anti-feedant spray. It does that besides being a hormone disrupter for insect development (see above)

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    Have you used it for grasshopper control? It sounds like it might not be effective against them.
    I don't happen to have a grasshopper issue but from my understanding, it will kill pretty much anything that eats a treated plant. I would certainly start with it and see how it works. Just don't expect them to fall over dead immediately, as with an insecticide. It can take a couple of days. With tomato hornworm, they stop eating almost immediately and die a few days later.

Spinosad is the active ingredient in flea control pills that you give your pets. Works the same way as when you spray in the garden. If something bites the pet, they ingest the spinosad & it kills the pest.

Spinosad will kill your good insects, such as your pollinators if you spray directly on that insect. Once dried, it only harms the bad bugs that are eating the plant. It is suggested you spray very end of day, when good insects are gone for the day.
    Last edited by Redneck; Yesterday at 09:26 AM.
    CapitalKane49p likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    I don't happen to have a grasshopper issue but from my understanding, it will kill pretty much anything that eats a treated plant. I would certainly start with it and see how it works. Just don't expect them to fall over dead immediately, as with an insecticide. It can take a couple of days. With tomato hornworm, they stop eating almost immediately and die a few days later.

Spinosad is the active ingredient in flea control pills that you give your pets. Works the same way as when you spray in the garden. If something bites the pet, they ingest the spinosad & it kills the pest.

Spinosad will kill your good insects, such as your pollinators if you spray directly on that insect. Once dried, it only harms the bad bugs that are eating the plant. It is suggested you spray very end of day, when good insects are gone for the day.
    Thanks for that info. At this point, I'm probably going to try a combo or spinosad and NEEM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links