New garden, but first...
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

New garden, but first...

This is a discussion on New garden, but first... within the Gardening forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; A new garden fence. Our garden will be sharing space with the goats so we gotta keep them out. Went with a hog wire style. ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: New garden, but first...

Super Moderator

New garden, but first...

A new garden fence. Our garden will be sharing space with the goats so we gotta keep them out.

Went with a hog wire style. Put in posts and now installing the panels I built.

We have a garden now but it's much too small.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

Good luck
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

What you planning on growing?
    Sasquatch likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    What you planning on growing?
    Anything and everything. Right now we have a few types of tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapeno, pumpkin, strawberries and a few different squash.

Denton and Slippy like this.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

Goats are amazing, they can jump on and stand on things you would not think possible. The damage they can do to a car is something to see. Both inside and out.
    "Since goats tend to rub on walls and fences, they have to be extremely sturdy. When you put in fencing, use eight foot wooden or metal posts. Space them eight to ten feet apart and bury them at least two feet deep. If you’re using T-posts, pound them in past the V at the bottom that holds them in the ground. The corner posts must be on the outside as goats will climb up a fence support in the blink of an eye."

New garden, but first...-goat.jpg
    Last edited by Smitty901; 07-30-2020 at 12:58 PM.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    A new garden fence. Our garden will be sharing space with the goats so we gotta keep them out.

Went with a hog wire style. Put in posts and now installing the panels I built.

We have a garden now but it's much too small.

You can grow a surprising amount of food in even a small space, if you use your space wisely. Good luck keeping the goats out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Anything and everything. Right now we have a few types of tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapeno, pumpkin, strawberries and a few different squash.
    If I remember correctly, you abide in California. You familiar with the Jujube tree and its fruit? They are supposed to taste like small, very sweet apples... but they aren't an apple. From what I read, in the US there is no pest or disease that bothers them, unlike apples. Plus they love it hot and do well in southern California. I've got a half dozen on order for delivery this fall. Half are the Li variety and the other half Lang. They really interest me as replacements for many of my apples as I so tire of fighting apple diseases.

https://www.tropicalfruittrees.com/jujube

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    If I remember correctly, you abide in California. You familiar with the Jujube tree and its fruit? They are supposed to taste like small, very sweet apples... but they aren't an apple. From what I read, in the US there is no pest or disease that bothers them, unlike apples. Plus they love it hot and do well in southern California. I've got a half dozen on order for delivery this fall. Half are the Li variety and the other half Lang. They really interest me as replacements for many of my apples as I so tire of fighting apple diseases.

https://www.tropicalfruittrees.com/jujube
    Haven't heard of them. Looks interesting though. May have to check them out.

We do have a passion fruit vine that grows all along our fence line. We get hundreds of them.

Slippy likes this.

Is that to keep out the baby goats?
    Smitty901 likes this.

Good luck on the garden.

Are goats the only thing you'll be trying to fence out?

I like fence with a smaller mesh, at least on the bottom, to help keep out rabbits woodchucks. That or I add poultry netting to the bottom.

Also, how big is the mesh? If a goat can fit it's head through it might get tangled up on their horns.
    Redneck and Michael_Js like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links