Rattlesnake Pole Beans
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Rattlesnake Pole Beans

This is a discussion on Rattlesnake Pole Beans within the Gardening forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; I'm growing Rattlesnake pole beans this year. Pole beans are one of those vegetables that put out a tremendous amount of nutritious food in an ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Rattlesnake Pole Beans

Rattlesnake Pole Beans

I'm growing Rattlesnake pole beans this year. Pole beans are one of those vegetables that put out a tremendous amount of nutritious food in an exceedingly small amount of space. A big plus is that I just almost never see disease or insect damage and the birds leave them alone. They are just incredibly easy to grow. Mine grow up a frame made from garden fence and metal tubing and only take up a 4' x 4' section of the bed. I am picking every 2 days or so because they grow so quick. I last picked on Saturday.

bigwheel, Annie and Slippy like this.

I'm envious your beans are ripe.

My pole beans are just starting to climb/blossom. I grow kentucky wonder and scarlett runner. The former I just grow for green beans. The latter is both ornamental and edible, good green but also makes great dried beans for soups and such, the ripe shelled beans are HUGE. For bush beans I grow blue lake.

I can, pickle, and store dry beans. Pickled spiced dill beans are a favorite. How do you put them up?

I stole some pictures of the runners as mine are not ripe.

Name:  1 scarlett.png
Views: 18
Size:  250.0 KB

Name:  1 scarlett 2.png
Views: 18
Size:  314.7 KB

Name:  1 scarlett 3.png
Views: 17
Size:  183.0 KB
    Redneck, bigwheel and Slippy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    I can, pickle, and store dry beans. How do you put them up?
    Same here. However by far & away, most go in the freezers. Since there are just two of us, now that the kids are grown, freezers are quicker & better for us. Now in a crisis, I think most would be dried. Main reason I have such a large orchard would be to make vast amounts of apple cider vinegar, for preserving food.

Right now, we give lots of our bounty away to friends, family & neighbors.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Dang yall got the green beans figured out. If you run out of some way to cook em..this used to be one of our favorties. Aint had it lately for some reason.
    https://www.food.com/recipe/green-be...y-sauce-138446
    Redneck, Mad Trapper and Slippy like this.

Concerning beans the only thing I have trouble with are:rabbits, woodchucks and deer.

Rabbits no so much, woodchucks can be horrible, and deer too.

I fence sprouts w/poultry fencing and sprinkle dried blood on them. Works good on rabbits/deer/chucks (none will eat a thing sprinkled in blood, but rain washes it off). Later a fence woodchucks will dig under, I have to kill them if they are close to garden. Deer I put up 4' fencing around what they like to eat. Small places so they won't jump in. Pole beans that is a perimeter where they can't reach over to the poles. PITA to open the fence to tend/pick beans but it works.

I had a nice healthy doe and fawn visit yesterday. They couldn't get to what I've fenced, I'll see them in the fall/winter and maybe hubby too.

I wacked a few chucks w/gun so far but I've seen another. I got one in a trap and the bear came and took it. Dispatched that one early evening was going to heave it next morning to the woods, whole chuck was missing.......found fur entrails, and tracks leading away. There is a woodchuck colony across the road, I think I need to thin the herd there.

I'm lucky the fischers cleaned out a lot of rabbits last winter and have few red fox working on them now. I found a rabbit kill I scared the fox off near the garden, he/she came back for dinner. If you don't have chickens fox are O.K.
    Redneck, Slippy and bigwheel like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Dang yall got the green beans figured out. If you run out of some way to cook em..this used to be one of our favorties. Aint had it lately for some reason.
    https://www.food.com/recipe/green-be...y-sauce-138446
    Similar to the way my wife cooks them. She starts with butter & adds some onion & garlic. Once softened, she adds the beans, coats well, adds a bit of chicken broth & covers over medium heat until done.
    bigwheel likes this.

Excuse my ignorance here. I have never had "pole" beans. Do they taste like green beans?

Quote Originally Posted by Krackentoa View Post
    Excuse my ignorance here. I have never had "pole" beans. Do they taste like green beans?
    Same thing but they grow long vine-like stalks that climb whatever is available, in gardens often poles, hence pole beans. Many varieties just like bush beans.
    Redneck, Slippy and 65mustang like this.

Same thing but they grow long vine-like stalks that climb whatever is available, in gardens often poles, hence pole beans. Many varieties just like bush beans.[/QUOTE]

Ah ty. Wife is planning an herb/veggie garden and is looking for low maintenance stuff.
    65mustang likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Krackentoa View Post
    Same thing but they grow long vine-like stalks that climb whatever is available, in gardens often poles, hence pole beans. Many varieties just like bush beans.
    Ah ty. Wife is planning an herb/veggie garden and is looking for low maintenance stuff.[/QUOTE]

Takes a lot less space than bush beans as they grow vertical.

Indians grew them together with squash and corn, "the three sisters". The beans fix nitrogen in the soil and climb the corn, the corn gets nitrogen from the beans, and the squash provides ground shade which conserves moisture and chokes out weeds.
    Redneck, Slippy and Joe like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links