First Corn
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

First Corn

This is a discussion on First Corn within the Gardening forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; Picked these this afternoon. This is a hybrid, Sweet G90. Will refrigerate overnight and tomorrow will blanch, take off the cob and put up in ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: First Corn

First Corn

Picked these this afternoon. This is a hybrid, Sweet G90. Will refrigerate overnight and tomorrow will blanch, take off the cob and put up in the freezer in quart bags. They will taste fresh for a year.

Well all won't go in freezer. Corn on the cob will be for dinner in 2 days. Tomatoes are coming in now as well as pole beans. Should be some mighty fine eatin'.

Last edited by Redneck; 06-29-2020 at 06:59 PM.
    A Watchman, Annie, Slippy and 8 others like this.

Super Moderator

I think those are the best I've ever seen. Blue ribbon!!!
    Redneck likes this.
    St. Michael the Archangel,
    defend us in battle.
    Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the Devil.
    May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
    and do thou,
    O Prince of the heavenly hosts,
    by the power of God,
    thrust into hell Satan,
    and all the evil spirits,
    who prowl about the world
    seeking the ruin of souls.

Amen

Delicious!
    Redneck likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    Picked these this afternoon. This is a hybrid, Sweet G90. Will refrigerate overnight and tomorrow will blanch, take off the cob and put up in the freezer in quart bags. They will taste fresh for a year.

Well all won't go in freezer. Corn on the cob will be for dinner in 2 days. Tomatoes are coming in now as well as pole beans. Should be some mighty fine eatin'.

Yum yum. Makes me wish my fake teeth job was done. Love that kinda corn.

It is really good sweet corn, but I'm a fan of good, old field corn. That's what I grew up eating. To me, sweet corn is just too sweet and may sound stupid... but too tender. I personally love good field corn, that has a bit of bite to it. And to me, nothing matches the true strong flavor of corn as field corn.

My wife won't eat field corn. She is a city gal. So I grow another plot of my own field corn... Truckers favorite. My my... now that is goooood!

Super Moderator

Excellent! Love me some corn.

I did not plant corn BUT I have corn growing at my home. How is that Sas you might ask. Well, it's the darndest thing...I have a bird feeder by my front window. Apparently the birds aren't well versed at etiquette and have dropped seed (corn included) on the ground. It must have taken off because I now have about 8 stalks growing, the tallest about 2ft. I thought they were weeds at first.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

A few years back I tried a small plot of sweet corn on a neighboring foreclosed property (gorilla gardening). Actually it was a 3 sisters experiment. I got no squash and no beans. And the deer and coons ate all the corn before I harvested a single ear.

So for now I continue to buy from the farmers selling out of their pickup trucks. I LOVE bread and butter sweet corn.
    Redneck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    A few years back I tried a small plot of sweet corn on a neighboring foreclosed property (gorilla gardening). Actually it was a 3 sisters experiment. I got no squash and no beans. And the deer and coons ate all the corn before I harvested a single ear.
    This garden is fenced in and inside our fenced in back yard. We have 9 dogs with 24 hour access to the back yard, so all that keeps the deer & coons away. My field corn is part of a small 3 sisters garden. Will be picking some beans real soon.

Well dang, now I have to go find some sweet corn to have tonight.
    Redneck likes this.

Dang Red, my tomatoes are green and the half runners are just starting to vine.
    Romans 10:9 KJV
    That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links