Container Gardening
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Container Gardening

This is a discussion on Container Gardening within the Gardening forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; Good morning group. I am just about wrapped up on my garden plans for the year and wanted to get some thoughts from the group. ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Container Gardening

Container Gardening

Good morning group. I am just about wrapped up on my garden plans for the year and wanted to get some thoughts from the group. To start, my soil is pretty bad where I live so I am trying to do as much as I can in some sort of "container". I already have my raised beds mapped out. I wanted to get a little creative while using stuff I have at hand as well. One of the things is planting certain items in containers, 5 gallon buckets, large flower pots etc. I had planned to do all of my tomato plants and bell pepper plants in 5 gallon buckets. Also, what herbs that are not mixed in for companion planting with other vegetables, I was going to plant in the cinder blocks I am using to help hold down my greenhouse. I was even going to build a container trellis of sorts to grow my strawberries in.

Does anyone have experience with using containers for gardening? Any tips or hints?
    Slippy likes this.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Years ago I tried raising tomatoes in buckets with very poor success. The exact same varieties planted in the ground did great. I only tried it once so you may have better results.
    Green Lilly likes this.

Tomatoes will do well in 5-gal buckets if the soil is rich and you keep them watered. Once they get big you'll be watering every other day in hot dry weather.

Instead of staking them I make a trellis of 3 or 4 ft welded wire fencing
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 01-13-2020 at 10:35 AM.
    Slippy and Green Lilly like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I've also gotten very poor results with tomatoes planted in 5 gallon buckets. Peppers were fine, though. Planting in or near cinder blocks is fine as long as your blocks are actually concrete blocks rather than actual cinder blocks. If they're new blocks it's almost 100% certain that they are, but it can't hurt to verify.
    Green Lilly likes this.

Also, what herbs that are not mixed in for companion planting with other vegetables, I was going to plant in the cinder blocks
    I would worry about this I think. I don't know so I'm asking if this is correct, but I thought cinder blocks were made out of concrete type stuff and if so, wouldn't you worry that over time the soil in the holes would become too basic b/c stuff has leached from the block? Again. I have no idea. Guess that's why I'd worry.

In addition to our raised beds every year we plant a number of things in containers, especially some herbs;

We keep the containers with herbs near the house, under the porches. The last few years we have planted the following with good results;

Lemongrass, not really sure its an herb but it smells good and I guess you could use as seasoning and it keeps the mosquitoes away
    Basil is very easy and of course you can pinch off a stem, soak it in water for a few days, and then plant next to tomatoes etc. We always have a few pots with basil in it. Also a great aroma
    Chives do well even though we don't eat them a lot
    Mint; There are a number of types of mint and it grows great in containers in my region

Tomatoes and Peppers are also our go-to plants in containers. I'll be honest, I use the container peppers and tomatoes as Experimental Produce where I do a lot of crazy things with fertilizers and soil. Its how I discovered ways to make my peppers hot hot hot without ruining those plants in my raised beds.

Check your USDA Plant Zones. I'm in between Zone 7 B and 8 A.
    Last edited by Slippy; 01-13-2020 at 11:26 AM.
    Green Lilly and Mad Trapper like this.

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    I've also gotten very poor results with tomatoes planted in 5 gallon buckets. Peppers were fine, though. Planting in or near cinder blocks is fine as long as your blocks are actually concrete blocks rather than actual cinder blocks. If they're new blocks it's almost 100% certain that they are, but it can't hurt to verify.
    Wow I had no idea about this. The blocks were manufactured in 2012. Would that be new enough to make them safe? I can always plant flowers in them but was hoping for them to be dual purpose.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    In addition to our raised beds every year we plant a number of things in containers, especially some herbs;

We keep the containers with herbs near the house, under the porches. The last few years we have planted the following with good results;

Lemongrass, not really sure its an herb but it smells good and I guess you could use as seasoning and it keeps the mosquitoes away
    Basil is very easy and of course you can pinch off a stem, soak it in water for a few days, and then plant next to tomatoes etc. We always have a few pots with basil in it. Also a great aroma
    Chives do well even though we don't eat them a lot
    Mint; There are a number of types of mint and it grows great in containers in my region

Tomatoes and Peppers are also our go-to plants in containers. I'll be honest, I use the container peppers and tomatoes as Experimental Produce where I do a lot of crazy things with fertilizers and soil. Its how I discovered ways to make my peppers hot hot hot without ruining those plants in my raised beds.

Check your USDA Plant Zones. I'm in between Zone 7 B and 8 A.
    I am in zone 7. I actually have seeds for all 4 of those herbs and a ton more. I was looking to try and do this garden without the use of chemicals so I was researching herbs that help ward of garden pests. Its for two reasons, trying to eat as clean as possible and if things go south it would be nice to know ways to protect the garden if there are no stores to purchase pest killer. I was surprised to learn some veggies and herbs actually help each other grow better. I have incorporated a lot of companion planting in my garden plan this year.
    Slippy likes this.

Another thing with containers , is you can bring the plants inside when the frosts come. I've overwintered tomatoes, and peppers for 3 years (zone 5A/4).

I dump the soil and mix it in spring if they pails are empty, test for pH, N, P and K. Mix in some composted manure, then add dried blood, bone meal, greensand and dolmite lime as needed.
    Green Lilly and Slippy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lilly View Post
    Wow I had no idea about this. The blocks were manufactured in 2012. Would that be new enough to make them safe? I can always plant flowers in them but was hoping for them to be dual purpose.
    You should be good to go. I was thinking of a situation where you'd salvaged the blocks and didn't know their age. It's been a good long time since they used actual cinders in what we now call cinder blocks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links