Did you know you can eat......?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Did you know you can eat......? within the Gardening forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; Those veggie scraps people usually throw out??? I think most people know about beet greens, not just as young greens for salad, but even more ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Did you know you can eat......?

Those veggie scraps people usually throw out???

I think most people know about beet greens, not just as young greens for salad, but even more mature for a greens side dish as most southerners are quite familiar. But you can also eat the green tops of carrots and radishes.

Peels of root crops are another one. Just make sure to wash off all the dirt, unless you don't mind a little grit. You can even make a snack of potato peels mixed with a little oil, salt & pepper then baked in the oven for a different kind of potato chip.

https://www.organicfacts.net/carrot-greens.html

https://www.organicfacts.net/radish-greens.html

I'm sure there are others as well. Any ideas??
    Denton, Sasquatch, Robie and 1 others like this.

I never peel potatoes/carrots except mashed taters, beets get peeled the greens boiled. Skins have most vitamins

Squash/pumpkin seeds get roasted.
    JustAnotherNut and Michael_Js like this.

Like @Mad Trapper , I never peel potatoes except for mashed.

A veggie brush and a paring knife to cut out bad spots are used for prep, be it boiled, Julianne, baked or fries.

There is an Asian market 18 miles from me, we buy all our veggies there,

they make the big name stores product look like the dumpster trash.

We buy all our potatoes there, pick and choose everyone.

Every time we go there, bean sprouts in 2x3x1 foot high boxes are fresh daily, pick and bag what you want.

and almost 10 times cheaper that the limp packaged trash at the local big names.

Never seen in other stores are carrots over 12 inches long and 2 inches in diameter, huge!

The boc choy is like it was just picked and cheap, dogs get about half of what we get plus the scraps.

There are other veggies that I have never seen before, all kinds.

We bought green peppers the other day, tonight I am making stuffed peppers out of them.

Each one is the size of a softball with the walls about a 1/4 of an inch thick and perfect bottoms for standing up in the dish.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 01-13-2020 at 08:00 AM.
    JustAnotherNut likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

There is an Asian market 18 miles from me, we buy all our veggies there, they make the big name stores product look like the dumpster trash.
    We have an Asian market near here too. Same. And the spice selection is phenomenal. Seriously inexpensive.

When I'm thinning stuff in the garden, we eat almost everything I pull as part of a salad.

Also-- peels and scrapings can be boiled down for veggie stock. THE BEST veggie stock ever is carrot top stock. Get a big ol' pot, pile 'em in. Add water. Season to your taste and boil down for an hour or so. A decent sized carrot harvest will yield maybe 12 or so 2-cup portions frozen in quart sized bags.
    SOCOM42 and JustAnotherNut like this.

Never really enjoyed potato skins, they are ok.
    Having a surgically altered stomache, skins are one the hardest things for me, so I peel almost everything. My chickens and rabbit love it.
    RIP Corporal BRADLEY COY 6/18/1992-10/24/2014

Quote Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
    Never really enjoyed potato skins, they are ok.
    Having a surgically altered stomache, skins are one the hardest things for me, so I peel almost everything. My chickens and rabbit love it.
    Got a dehydrator??? If nothing else, wash the greens & peels well, then dehydrate them, then grind to a powder....then add that powder to recipes like you would with parsley or other seasonings. That powder may or may not actually flavor the food, but it will add many nutrients.

I do the same with kale (do not like the stuff at all, but has a lot of nutritional benefits) & other greens as well.....including lettuces or salad mix that may be a little tired for eating straight up. Dry & grind to still get the nutrient benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by Marica View Post
    We have an Asian market near here too. Same. And the spice selection is phenomenal. Seriously inexpensive.

When I'm thinning stuff in the garden, we eat almost everything I pull as part of a salad.

Also-- peels and scrapings can be boiled down for veggie stock. THE BEST veggie stock ever is carrot top stock. Get a big ol' pot, pile 'em in. Add water. Season to your taste and boil down for an hour or so. A decent sized carrot harvest will yield maybe 12 or so 2-cup portions frozen in quart sized bags.
    I've never made veggie stock, but I do use all that in my chicken or beef stock broth.

I've not done it but have seen many people use the outer skin of the onion, that brownish paper layer.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut View Post
    Got a dehydrator??? If nothing else, wash the greens & peels well, then dehydrate them, then grind to a powder....then add that powder to recipes like you would with parsley or other seasonings. That powder may or may not actually flavor the food, but it will add many nutrients.

I do the same with kale (do not like the stuff at all, but has a lot of nutritional benefits) & other greens as well.....including lettuces or salad mix that may be a little tired for eating straight up. Dry & grind to still get the nutrient benefits.
    I use dehydrated kale fairly often. I crumble it into soups, where it looks like parsley flakes. But my husband will also eat the dehydrated leaves (small ones dried whole) like chips. The powder can be added so smoothies, but I usually stick to just green stuff for that (no carrot peelings) or the color can be pretty unappetizing and, yes, I'm a picky eater.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut View Post
    I've never made veggie stock, but I do use all that in my chicken or beef stock broth.

I've not done it but have seen many people use the outer skin of the onion, that brownish paper layer.
    Yeah. The Frugal Gourmet's recipes for stocks always say to use the whole onion. Does give things a nice color.

We almost always have a Mason jar of veggie stock in the fridge. The carrot top stock is made purposefully and then frozen. But we also just save stock. So cook a batch of beans or whatever and save the water. We don't include any of the cabbage b/c the cooking water is a bit too bitter. And of course nothing like potatoes which are too starchy. But water to boil everything else goes into the jar. Then when DH is making a recipe that calls for water, out comes the stock. Soup especially.

You should try mashed potatoes with the skins they are really good. We use red potatoes skin.and all.
    Marica likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links