Preppers and Peppers
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Preppers and Peppers

This is a discussion on Preppers and Peppers within the Gardening forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; Hello everyone, recently my wife decided she wanted to do her own garden, our family's former garden had not been used and was recently excavated ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By Grinch2
  • 2 Post By Smitty901
  • 1 Post By jimb1972
  • 1 Post By Chiefster23
  • 1 Post By Chiefster23
  • 1 Post By Annie
  • 1 Post By bigwheel
  • 3 Post By Slippy

Thread: Preppers and Peppers

Preppers and Peppers

Hello everyone, recently my wife decided she wanted to do her own garden, our family's former garden had not been used and was recently excavated to make room for a cattle hutch. She lacks a farming background, at first she had these grand visions of some tropical oasis, which after I explained to her that unless we have a fully contained ecosystem orange trees were not a possibility. She suggested a few others, a lot of them I have experience with but she threw me a curve ball ( as she always does ) and suggested peppers. As many of you know, the north and north east can have some colder temperatures, this year I saw -30 on the truck's thermometer before considering wind chill. What does everyone recommend? Is there a certain pepper that either grows fast enough to avoid worrying about frost, or is there a hardy pepper species out there capable of surviving an hour or two of frost?

On another note, with a bunker still on my mind, what would indoor conditions truly require? What I am kind of thinking are those UV lights and an irrigation system, obviously besides soil, seeds and controlled temperatures. I mean the way I figure it some people illegally grow various plants in these messed up little operations, it can't be that hard. Any recommendations on this; a certain bulb or something like that?

Have considerations for a hydroponic system in the bunker as well, I figured some fresh produce would certainly add morale not to mention add to activities to stop from playing monopoly for 12 hours. Thanks in advance everyone!
    bigwheel likes this.
    A man never truly knows how good he is with a gun until that gun is his last resort to live.

“Everything's fine today… that is our illusion.” – Voltaire

One cannot appreciate the light until you have seen the darkness

We grow a lot of Bell peppers in Wisconsin . A very cold place at times . We even grow hot peppers. You will have to wait out the frost.
    Grinch2 and jimb1972 like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Buy the 6" plants around Mothers day and you should be flush with peppers by August.
    Grinch2 likes this.
    "A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still."- The wise words of Benjamin Franklin.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I live in the mountains of PA. Winter temps dip below zero occasionally and our average last frost date is about the third week of May. I successfully grow several types of sweet peppers every year and friends easily grow banana peppers. The trick is to buy starter plants from the nursery and plant after the last frost. I grow from seeds that I start early using heat mats and grow lights in my basement. I started my seeds a few weeks ago and they are about 1-1/2 inches high now. After the seedlings reach 3 to 4 inches, and the weather warms up some, I will move them outside into a small portable plastic greenhouse. On cold days and nights I supply supplemental heat from a 100 watt incandescent light bulb. The plants will be 6 to 7 inches tall at planting near the end of May. I typically harvest ripe red sweet peppers in September.

I can my own tomato sauce and unfortunately the peppers are usually ripe after the tomatoes. So I dice and vac pack (freeze) peppers to be used in making sauce the following year. If you want to use your peppers green, some will usually be available in time for tomato sauce making.

I usually grow ‘California Wonder’ and ‘Corno de Toro’ peppers. The ‘bull horn’ type peppers are stuffed with hot sausage and frozen for year round use.
    Grinch2 likes this.

If you are talking about growing the really ‘hot’ peppers, I can’t help you. They typically have very long growing periods and no one I know grows them around here.
    Grinch2 likes this.

Super Moderator

Hubs has grown both the Bell type and frying peppers here in NJ and raised beds. Still have some in jars in the food pantry from 4 years ago. That was a good gardening year.
    Grinch2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinch2 View Post
    Hello everyone, recently my wife decided she wanted to do her own garden, our family's former garden had not been used and was recently excavated to make room for a cattle hutch. She lacks a farming background, at first she had these grand visions of some tropical oasis, which after I explained to her that unless we have a fully contained ecosystem orange trees were not a possibility. She suggested a few others, a lot of them I have experience with but she threw me a curve ball ( as she always does ) and suggested peppers. As many of you know, the north and north east can have some colder temperatures, this year I saw -30 on the truck's thermometer before considering wind chill. What does everyone recommend? Is there a certain pepper that either grows fast enough to avoid worrying about frost, or is there a hardy pepper species out there capable of surviving an hour or two of frost?

On another note, with a bunker still on my mind, what would indoor conditions truly require? What I am kind of thinking are those UV lights and an irrigation system, obviously besides soil, seeds and controlled temperatures. I mean the way I figure it some people illegally grow various plants in these messed up little operations, it can't be that hard. Any recommendations on this; a certain bulb or something like that?

Have considerations for a hydroponic system in the bunker as well, I figured some fresh produce would certainly add morale not to mention add to activities to stop from playing monopoly for 12 hours. Thanks in advance everyone!
    Some of the illegal old hippies I used to know say this website is informative for those who want to get a green thumb. Pay attention to what is called Hempy Buckets. Its hydro without a lot of the drama.
    https://www.rollitup.org/
    Grinch2 likes this.

Add Magnesium Sulphate (Epsom Salts) to Peppers to spice them up. I water and fertilize my Pepper Plants often until Pepper's start to grow then I starve them of water as long as I can then hit them with Magnesium Sulphate diluted in water. Alternate with high nitrogen and you can really turn the heat up on a Pepper Plant.

Add Epsom Salts to Tomatoes to strengthen their stalks and I believe it adds flavor too!
    Last edited by Slippy; 04-18-2019 at 04:44 AM.
    Chiefster23, Joe and Grinch2 like this.

Sponsored Links