Purslaine - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Purslaine

This is a discussion on Purslaine within the Gardening forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; Originally Posted by Mule13 Attachment 81537 got this image off google. this is what it looks like around here.deoends on where its growing sometimes its ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Purslaine

Quote Originally Posted by Mule13 View Post
    Attachment 81537

got this image off google. this is what it looks like around here.deoends on where its growing sometimes its thin and soindly sometimes short and fat but basically like the oicture.
    and as someone said it is a bit bitter and slimy too lol.
    Yup, that looks like the wild one I eat.

This one is a little different and is the one I bought off Amazon. I'll try to get real pictures as it is very different looking:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Try it!

Peace,
    Michael J.
    Mule13 likes this.

Never seen the stuff before, but now I know what to look for.

I did try a dandelion once... ONCE.
    Talk about bitter. Supposedly good in a salad, and the root is apparently the best part.
    I can tell you, the yellow flower, picked raw, is *bleh*.
    I did it on a whim. Probably should have washed the pollen out first.
    Michael_Js likes this.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

This is the one grown from the organic Amazon seeds: much larger stems and leaves (a little too meaty for me):

Purslaine-20180808_185501.jpg

This is the wild one that just grows! I've been eating this kind for decades. Both produce little tiny black seeds, like pepper. Let those spread and this stuff will grow for ever!
    Both pictures are taken straight from my garden today.

Purslaine-20180808_185540.jpg

Peace,
    Michael J.
    Last edited by Michael_Js; 08-08-2018 at 09:41 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

My book here, "Encyclopedia of herbal medicine" says that purslane has long been valuable for treatment of digestive and urinary problems. Also for appendicitis. The Chinese also use the plant as an antidote for wasp stings and snake bite. It says that used as an external wash, the juice can relieve skin ailments such as boils and carbuncles. It also helps reduce a fever. Says don't take it during pregnancy.

Sent from my SM-S337TL using Tapatalk
    Sasquatch and Michael_Js like this.
    Amen, amen I say to you, that you shall lament and weep, but the world shall rejoice; and you shall be made sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy.

Super Moderator

Here's what it looks like in the book.

Sent from my SM-S337TL using Tapatalk
    Amen, amen I say to you, that you shall lament and weep, but the world shall rejoice; and you shall be made sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy.

Super Moderator

You people are monsters! How dare you cultivate and pick these defenseless plants for your eating pleasure. These poor plants cant even run from you like a chicken, cow or pig. They dont stand a chance! The shame!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Denton, Joe and Michael_Js like this.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

Joe

I pull this stuff out of my flower bed every year. It grows like a weed. Yes pun intended. It is good to be aware of alternate food sources. As mentioned above lambs quarter is nutritious. It is a good source of zinc. I bought a book years ago called "Stalking the Wild Asparagus". A real good resource for munching the wild stuff around us.
    jimb1972 and Michael_Js like this.

Quote Originally Posted by charito View Post
    Our lawn is inundated by this plant this year - even the neighbor's. So, hubby went to research about this 'weed." Turns out this annual plant is edible, and quite nutritious and easy to grow.

Purslane.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portulaca_oleracea

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edi...slane-herb.htm

SO that explains it....My bitch neighbor is growing that shit intentionally? and trying to increase her yield by using my yard?!?!?
    Michael_Js likes this.

CHarito? You don't live in North Carolina by chance do you?....

Quote Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
    I have a bunch of it, I was thinking of eating some. Maybe Ill make a video.
    Might be a good idea to let Mama eat some first to make sure she dont get the green apple quick step. Then you can try it. There ya go.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links