Food supplies and Tinned food storage
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Food supplies and Tinned food storage within the Garden, Canning, Long Term Food Storage forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; I intend to learn more about food storage, preservation, tinning at some point soon but right now need to get my immediate basic food supplies ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By paraquack

Thread: Food supplies and Tinned food storage

I intend to learn more about food storage, preservation, tinning at some point soon but right now need to get my immediate basic food supplies sorted and stocked up for rotation.

I've seen a video on YouTube from a prepper with some basic advice and his basic list of food supplier was as follows:

1 large bag of rice 20lb?
    1 large bag of beans pinto beans etc 20lb
    20 cans of canned fruit
    20 cans of canned veg
    20 cans of canned meat/fish
    2 large containers of peanut butter
    2 large containers of Tang? drink mix? 100% vit c daily intake
    2 containers of crystal light or kool aid drink mix
    2 bags of flour
    1 bag of sugar
    1 bag of salt
    1 bag of oats
    1 gallon of olive oil
    Vitamin Supplements/Multi-vitamins

This seem like an okay list and good place to start though requires some translation for myself not being an America. I was unsure what Tang was and had to google this.

I had a quick question on storage.

A lot of tinned fruit is either preserved in its own juice, light syrup or full syrup. Which helps preserve it longest or does it not matter?

Tinned Fish like Tuna and Salmon seems to either be preserved in Spring Water, Oil or Brine (salt water). I have always imagine salt would preserve things longer than spring water, but what about salt v oil or does this again not matter for tinned products? Wouldn't salt eventually erode a tin or does it have a special coating to prevent this?

Be interesting to know if there are any differences in tins of meat and how they are preserved, if there are any methods that are regarded as better for shelf life?

A tin of corned beef I have in my cupboard contains sodium nitrate. The Corned Beef hash I have contains the same. Some peeled tinned potatoes contain calcium chloride and ascorbic acid.

I hear stories of people eating tinned food from WWII decades later and it being fine but just wondered what your general thoughts are on this.

I intend to use rotation so use up tins before their best before date (not that I believe this really matters but good practice) while adding new tins to replace them though it is interesting to find out how long stuff keeps for in tins.

For me the biggest thing when planning the tinned part of my supplies is "variety is the spice of life". In a WTSHTF situation I really don't want to be eating the same thing over and over.

The above list I've never been a big fan of baked beans, in fact I absolutely hate them. I haven't had any since I was a child and really disliked them. I don't know what the difference is between pinto beans and baked beans? I have tried roasted soy beans several years ago which I did like but I didn't buy them again over health concerns regarding them. I may have to substitute those pinto beans for something else but may buy a small pack and give them a try first. I don't want to buy things in bulk I have never tried before and then be stuck with something I can't stomach. I do see advantage of this type of food though and the protein in contains.

Canned fruit I have no problem with but I am not the biggest fan of veg. I like spinach, potatoes and I like tomatoes (which is really a fruit but I have always classed as veg like the US Govt!) but that's about it for me. Anything vitamin and nutrition wise from other veg I'm afraid I will have to get elsewhere maybe supplements or just add more tinned fruit to the list.

Peanut butter - fantastic stuff. No more needs to be said.

Canned fish. Do I need to avoid Tinned Salmon from the Pacific Fukushima Ocean?

I had to do some converting with the sizes above as they changed measurements here some time ago unfortunately to metric and KGs. But 20lb is 9kg approx so a 10Kg bag of the above would be similar.

Tang - I figure an alternative here may be effervescent vitamic c or b vitamin energy tabs. I'm unsure if we have anything like Tang and if there are any nasties in it worth avoiding eg aspartame.

Kool Aid - I think I'll again skip this suggestion and look for alternatives mostly because we don't have it here but I also thing it is full of sugar or aspartame and E numbers? Correct me if I'm wrong. Bottles of concentrate/Cordial instead or just stick with effervescent.

Appreciate any input from you guys on this and if there is anything else you'd recommend considering for a basic store of food.

Banned

I don't suppose this lad/lass gave any indication as to how many people or for how long? Many moons ago, I found a civil war ration list for soldiers in the field. It was a pound of raw meat (12 ounces of salt pork) a pound of veggies/fruit and a pound of biscuits - read hard tack and a bit of salt, sugar and coffee thrown in for good measure.

First, I'd by what you like. If you don't like rice I wouldn't buy it. Second buy things that take very little preparation - most folks fail to realize that the C-Rats we had in the 70's were made to be eaten heated or cold. That's right they were already cooked. Chef Boyardee spagettie in a can can be eaten right from the can with no prep at all. Third If you have water and a source of heating the stuff up then you can expand to such things as Pasta, instant potatoes, ramen. Fourth there are certain things that have to be prepared a certain way, Vienna Sausages, Sardines, tuna and Salmon. Others Chicken, Ham, treat, spam, Corned and roast beef can be coked in a number of ways and combined with say pasta and tomato sauce to make a fair immitatin of spagettie.

Good luck and welcome

Some how in a SHTF event, I think I could eat liver if that was all there was. BTW, just the smell of liver cooking, makes me gag. I'm sure my "sensitive" pallet would adapt.
    I set about actually making up a menu with a different food for the main meal of the day for every four days, lunches were about every three days and I used a lot of oatmeal for breakfasts, but had a change one out of four days during the first six weeks. After that I would go to foods I packed in bulk. If I suspected the event would last for months, I would modify my menus accordingly and begin rationing at once. I would also begin hunting as soon as the "zombies" are out of the way. Except for dry foods, everything I have stashed is designed for consumption in one meal, no left overs.
    shotlady likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

The following is a list I found a few years ago. Sorry to the person who published it, I can't give you credit 'cause I don't remember you.

Here is a quick 1 year food storage plan for two adults. This can be easily multiplied to fit your family. Please note that these are only the basics. Things like dried fruit, long storage meats and vegetables should also be added to your storage plan. Watch expiration dates, not to be confused with “best used by dates” which reference taste and some nutritional values.

STORAGE ITEM AMOUNT

Wheat 321 lbs
    Enriched white flour 29 lbs (substitute and additional 300 lbs of flour in place of wheat above)
    Corn meal 71 lbs
    Oats, Rolled 71 lbs
    Rice 143 lbs
    Pearled barley 7 lbs
    Spaghetti & macaroni 71 lbs

Beans (dry) 50 lbs
    Beans, Lima (dry) 2 lbs
    Beans, Soy (dry) 2 lbs
    Peas, Split (dry) 2 lbs
    Lentils (dry) 2 lbs
    Dry Soup Mix 10 lbs

Vegetable Oil 4 gal
    Shortening 10 lbs
    Mayonnaise 2 quarts
    Salad Dressing
    mayonnaise type) 2 quarts
    Peanut Butter 8 lbs

milk, Nonfat dry 28 lbs
    Evaporated milk 24 cans (12 oz net wt)
    (equivalent to 6 lbs dry powdered, non-fat milk)

Sugar, Granulated 80 lbs
    Sugar, Brown 6 lbs
    Molasses 2 lbs
    Honey 6 lbs
    Corn syrup 6 lbs
    Jams and preserves 6 lbs
    Fruit drink, Powdered 12 lbs
    Flavored gelatin 2 LBS

Dry yeast 1 lbs (you will want more yeast if you make lots of bread)
    Soda 2 lbs
    Baking Powder 2 lbs
    Vinegar 2 lbs
    Chlorine bleach 1 gal (or 1 gallon per month if you need to purify water)
    Salt (iodized) 16 lbs (8 lb/person/year)
    Water 30 gallons per month, per person (700+gallons a year for drinking and cooking)

Make substitutions according to your tastes

Sponsored Links