Anyone got their seedlings going yet?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Anyone got their seedlings going yet? within the Garden, Canning, Long Term Food Storage forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; Has anyone got their seedlings going yet? Granted I know its still way early for most in the US, but here down in the southern ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Anyone got their seedlings going yet?

Has anyone got their seedlings going yet? Granted I know its still way early for most in the US, but here down in the southern parts its really not all that early...

I just bought a couple of 18 pot trays today and I got my seeds out and I will be planting them in the next 24 hours. Yes its mid Janurary here and its still going to be cold for another 7-8 weeks before we have our last frost. But I figure after 1-2 weeks to sprout them and another 6 weeks to get them to about 16-18 inches so I can get a jump on the season ought to put me about right. I only have three small raised beds on my property locally so I need to make the most of what little space I have and the earlier a start I can get the more prolific my harvest is through out the growing season. I did this last season with Bell Peppers and got a bumper crop of HUGE Bell Peppers from June till late Novemeber when we got a early freeze/ice storm. I am hoping for a repeat performance this season!
    hayden likes this.

I was just thinking yesterday I need to get at least the tomatoes and peppers started this weekend. I have a cool summer usually with lots of rain so I usually grow mine in the green house where it is much warmer for those Hot crops.
    hayden likes this.

I think I'll wait a bit here. Have to get out and shovel that yucky four letter stuff again.
    hayden and jimb1972 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

I so miss my garden tomatoes!! BLTs!! The store bought ones have no taste to them! I planted potatoes for the first time last year and I was amazed at how much better they tasted to store bought!!
    hayden likes this.

This is my first year I wont be doing indoor seedlings. I sell fish for aquaponics and experimented with many setups last season. The seeds planted indoors 2 weeks before the (scheduled) last frost and then moved into the garden 3-4 weeks later grew the largest, fastest and were more productive then plants started earlier indoors and grown with lights and sun, as well as plants started outdoors in the dirt.

If you gardeners here don't use fish, I highly recommend it. I have a 4'x4'x4' IBC cube with some tilapia. I use the weekly waste water to water/fertilize the garden each week. Soy plants (NonGMO) that normally grew 3.5' tall and produced 1-2 dozen with regular water and chemical fertilizers, grew 6' tall with over 100 pods with the fish waste!
    Last edited by willy; 01-15-2014 at 11:58 AM.
    hayden and sparkyprep like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsInor View Post
    I think I'll wait a bit here. Have to get out and shovel that yucky four letter stuff again.
    Umm, free water, hello? Throw the seeds in and when it all melts, *bam* instant garden.
    Rest In Peace, Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Yeah Danny - with the runoff they would all sprout in someone else yard.
    Mish likes this.

CA its too dry
    NV its too cold

Waiting and don't really expect to plant for a few more weeks.

Way to early here
    jimb1972 likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

We are about to get our first, and hopefully only, cold snap here in South FL tonight. As soon as it's over, we will start. The cold should be done by this weekend, with luck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links