The Survival Garden: Making The Shovel Your Weapon Of Choice
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on The Survival Garden: Making The Shovel Your Weapon Of Choice within the Garden, Canning, Long Term Food Storage forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; Hello Everyone, Here's the new article on: The Survival Garden: Making The Shovel Your Weapon Of Choice Keep Gardening! Desert Marine...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Desert Marine
  • 1 Post By LunaticFringeInc
  • 1 Post By Desert Marine
  • 1 Post By kevincali

Thread: The Survival Garden: Making The Shovel Your Weapon Of Choice

Lightbulb The Survival Garden: Making The Shovel Your Weapon Of Choice

Hello Everyone,

Here's the new article on: The Survival Garden: Making The Shovel Your Weapon Of Choice

Keep Gardening!
    Desert Marine
    hayden, Silverbullet and Titan6 like this.

There is a lot to be said for that idea. It can trim an awful lot off the weekly grocery bill most of the year here in north Texas allowing you more disposable income to spend on reducing and paying off debt faster or spend on other critical needed preps. Im living in a RV full time and that's what I do to help me live a more frugal life style without having to feel like I am living that way. In addition on just abnout every wood lot in the area that's undeveloped and that will remain so due to being within the "Once every 100 year Flood Plain", I have planted two or three fruit trees and Pecan trees. I have even chosen varieties that come ripe at different times of the year where possible so as to not be inundated with a ton of fruit all at once. That way I can use it fresh, can it or dry it for use later if need be. There are a lot of peach, apple and black berry cobblers around my house in the late spring, summer and fall. Occasionally I will make a batch of fresh home made ice cream using some of the fruit as well for an added treat to myself and the neighborhood kids. Yeah, that's right I am probably the only one in the area that still owns a manual hand crank ice cream maker, I provide the ingrediants and its easy to bribe a kid or two to crank it so I don't have to, ha ha ha. Just workin smarter not harder here.

There is a lot you can do if you think outside the box a bit. While you can rat hole away a lot of preps if you got the money or space once its gone its gone. At least this way I am putting myself in a position where I am more sustainable every year.
    Last edited by LunaticFringeInc; 11-10-2013 at 08:52 AM.
    Silverbullet likes this.

Lunatic,

I obviously agree with you. Back in July we planted 35 Olive Trees. We already had peach, mango, guava, orange and lemon trees. All of the fruit from them we can, dehydrate, or pack in oil to preserve them when they don't produce out of season. The Homestead has chickens, rabbits, ducks, bees, sheep and goats. 90% of our meat we raise ourselves. Of course we have a huge garden. All of this is a tremendous benefit when it comes to being able to provide for our family as well as being self-sufficient as much as possible. We live off-grid and produce ALL of our electrical/power needs as well as we have a well for water.

All of this didn't happened overnight, but it does and did require a plan and a tremendous amount of collective work as a family. We are having a blast and hope that others will position themselves to be in the same boat or even better situation then ours.

Keep it growing!
    Desert Marine
    Prepadoodle likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Marine View Post
    Lunatic,

We live off-grid and produce ALL of our electrical/power needs
    Desert Marine
    I'm green with envy. wish I could figure out the electricity

Great Post..Loved the article..Ive been growing my own vegetables and canning for like 3 years now it has saved so much money its unbelievable I am actually thinking building a small green house for the winter months... Thanks for information!!!
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory.
    Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ"

Great article.

I already have planted fruit trees:

Panamint Nectarines (5)
    Washington navel (1)
    Cara cara orange (1)
    Jonathan apple (1)
    Eureka lemon (1)
    Pecan (2)
    Asian pear (1)
    Santa Rosa plum (1)
    Hale haven peach (2)
    Mexican lime (1)
    Algerian mandarin (1)
    White plum (1)
    Bearss lime (1) (replaced a kaffir lime, most disgusting lime/leaves.)
    Guava (1)

Trees that were already here:
    Valencia orange (1)
    Dwarf peach (1)
    Unknown citrus (2)
    Apricot(1)
    Dwarf eureka(?) lemon (1)
    Dwarf grapefruit (1)
    Pomegranate (1)

Trees going in (have them. Need to make room/plant):
    Fig (1)
    Mango(1)
    Papaya (1)
    Star ruby grapefruit (1)
    Avocado (3. Hass lamb hass and mexicola)

Edit: forgot the passion fruit vine (1) putting it in the "needs to be planted" area because it's still in the bucket

Non fruit trees, but edible:
    Grape vines (2)
    Blueberries (5)
    Chocolate mint (1)
    Spearmint(1)
    Stevia (1)
    Strawberries (2. Had more)
    Prickly pear fruit (3 kinds)
    Blackberries (1)
    Roses (~15)

In the garden:
    Peas (~50)
    Onions (~18)
    Broccoli (6)
    Cauliflower (6)

All this on about .33 acre. Yes they are packed in tight. The idea is to keep them pruned and use the clippings as firewood

I also have a decent gardening area, but due to dogs and gophers, I haven't produced much. Just lost a third of my crops to gophers and the dogs going after the gophers. It is VERY frustrating

Most of my trees are newer plantings. About a year and a half old or so. Some are under a year. Others are 20+ years old. Matter of fact, the Valencia was almost dead. I was watering it differently than it was used to.

Another important issue of having a garden, is watering said garden. I opted for totes to collect rain water for the trees. On the other side of the house, I'm installing a couple more eventually for just the garden. This of course is solely for use in the summer.

Also, my soil is DG. Most of it drains quickly. And some of it drains slowly. So I have most everything on drip watering system. The initial cost was less then $20. But I needed to buy more 1/2" and 1/4" tubing and different drip emitters for the different soil areas and for better water control/conservation. I have it down to where everything altogether uses 55 gallons an hour for ALL the trees. So theoretically if I water once a week, that's a 55 gallon barrel worth. So 2 330 totes SHOULD get me 12 weeks of once a week watering for an hour. SHOULD.

Sorry about the rambling, droning on and on. Gardening and growing your own food is something I have come to be passionate about. I watched a few documentaries about where our food comes from, and it made me sick. How our food is handled and processed. Plus I like when I pick off an apricot, and wash it solely to get dirt off. I don't have to worry about if pesticides were on it, did I get it all off? How much is left? What kind was it? I DO lose some to critters. Insect and varmint. But I'd rather give some up to squirrels and birds than to digest man made chemicals

Ok. I'm done. And no, I'm not promoting organic growing. Although I don't use chemicals, pesticides, insecticides, chemical fertilizers. I just grow things how I thing they would grow in the wild. I am under the mindset that if SHTF, I won't be able to go to the local ace and get miracle grow. Or to Home Depot and get malathion. So why rely on them now?

Happy gardening
    Last edited by kevincali; 11-15-2013 at 09:02 AM.
    PaulS likes this.

Sponsored Links