Snow is a four letter word
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Snow is a four letter word within the Garden, Canning, Long Term Food Storage forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; We are supposed to get snow showers on Saturday or Sunday. It is one of those drizzly cold days and is going to be nice ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rigged for Quiet

Thread: Snow is a four letter word

We are supposed to get snow showers on Saturday or Sunday. It is one of those drizzly cold days and is going to be nice the next couple of days. My question is what to do with my tomato plants. I have probably close to a bushel of tomatoes that are still very green. Pick them and hope they all ripen? Take my chances on not freezing? I hate to waste them and there is only so much green tomato salsa and such I can make (Inor doesn't do tomatoes much).

Suggestions?

Wrap them in newspaper, they will ripen and still be better than store bought tomatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsInor View Post
    We are supposed to get snow showers on Saturday or Sunday. It is one of those drizzly cold days and is going to be nice the next couple of days. My question is what to do with my tomato plants. I have probably close to a bushel of tomatoes that are still very green. Pick them and hope they all ripen? Take my chances on not freezing? I hate to waste them and there is only so much green tomato salsa and such I can make (Inor doesn't do tomatoes much).

Suggestions?
    Don't forget fried green tomatoes! I know what ya mean about snow. We MIGHT be getting some here in our part of Montana this week. I hope not! I still have about 30 loads of hay to haul in the semi.. It is bad enough in excellent weather but the area I have to drive in when it rains or snow is about a 14 on the pucker factor on a scale of 1-10.. I have been up and down these mountains in the rain and snow in my Jeep and EVERY single time makes me grip the wheel tighter than ever and I tell my fiance that if I say jump, to jump.. That is in my 2009 4x4 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4 door.. Just imagine driving a semi with 34 bales of hay!
    Last edited by PrepConsultant; 10-16-2013 at 02:28 PM.
    Check out my blog Hidden Content Also SurvivingTheBreaks on Facebook.. My radio show will be goin live next week on Hidden Content so be sure to listen out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Watch out where the huskies go and don't you eat that yellow snow.

My wife and I are at the airport heading back to Kalifornia. She is a native Minnesotan, but she don't do snow no more...

Put the tomatoes in a brown paper bag or wrap in newspaper and they will ripen.

What is this thing called snow of which you speak? It rings of an abomination summoned by the dark arts.
    MrsInor likes this.
    "You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas". Davey Crockett

Mod Squad

You might try covering the whole plants with some sort of floating row cover, burlap, or polypropylene fabric (like Thermal Blanket)

Success Is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm - anonymous

Yank them and wrap in newspaper and put into paper bags like the other ops said,we did this on sunday and some of the less green ones are starting to blush already((10/6) and its 42 here today,north wind,no sun,wc 38. not gonna be good for anything outside.the missus has been busy since she came back from Nebraska(got caught in the S.D storm too)making stuff out of the maters I blanched and froze and filled the freezer with..along with the pickled pepperoncini,dilly beans and tons of salsa.

Sponsored Links